[GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD Mobility 7970 in the M17x R3,an illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SlickDude80, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    only install the display driver over stock...don't select any of the other stuff. This is how i tell the clevo guys to install their drivers...and I think R4 users should be using the same method

no need for driver sweeper *yet unless you have issues and need to do a clean install.

i don't know what the result will be if you tried to go straight to 12.7 beta, but if you are going to try that, download the official 12.7 beta from amd becuase that one isn't modded and is therefore safer.

Worse case, if the straight install of the driver doesn't work, you can use the method i outlined above which will

2. StZu

StZu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perfect, thanks again for thehelp!

3. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Would this be beneficial for R3 owners? I'm still trying to solve my Crysis 2 OC issue, and my GSOD (Grey Screen of Death as I like to call it, it's really just grey lines, but always happens after I revert from an OC).

4. StZu

StZu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh, forgot to ask you slick, what about the profiles?do i need to download them too ?

5. SlickDude80

Reputations:
    i don't think so. Logically, if you're getting weird results after reverting to stock clocks now, reinstalling the driver will give the same results. i too have noticed that if you set your clocks to default after an OC, it seems my clocks get set at the lower clock profile. The system gets confused. A quick reboot fixes it for me

However, if you have to the time to try it, go for it

when you say profiles, are you referring to the 12.7 caps? I haven't bothered, but you can download and install them. Most of the cap fixes are for crossfire performance and a few single card game improvements. These will get rolled into the official 12.7's so i'll just wait

6. ashley-aitch

ashley-aitch Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I too am having this brightness issue with a single 7970m on a m17x r3. I have tried using multiple drivers, multiple settings in my bios (enabling IGD with sg/peg as some users managed to fix this way but when i did it the lappie wouldnt even post so i has to remove the 7970 and boot with the 3000) and tried using hwinfo.

The one breakthrough i have had is that when i get the grey lines after clocking too high i managed to get back to desktop without a reboot and the brightness was at its fullest. but when i used fn+5 to go down then try to go back up it was back to being dim.

I have now found if i close my lid and send the computer to sleep then wake it the screen is also working at the correct brightness... so this must mean its a bios related issue???

Thanks for any help

7. SlickDude80

Reputations:
    i think the brightness issue has to do with the disabling of the igp. If you enable igp, your brightness goes back to normal...however, you have to deal with enduro which you want to run from. 12.7 has made my screen brighter..so it is fine in my books since i have the brightness turned down normally anyways

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

8. ashley-aitch

Reputations:
    When i enable the igp and leave the primary display on peg then the lappie wont even boot not even a bios prompt.

9. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That happens every time. Primary Display needs to be set to SG (Switchable Graphics) when using both cards, i.e, when IGP is enabled. Are you getting 5 beeps when it tries to POST or nothing at all? If nothing at all, a blind flash of the BIOS will ordinarily restore function. If you getting 5 beeps, try this: Alienware Mobiles - 5 Beeps after turning ON the system | Dell. Maybe try it anyway.

10. ashley-aitch

Reputations:
    When IGP is enabled and the Primary Display is set to SG, i think it doesn't do anything, it used to sound like it was reving up to start then start again... ( this is what defiantly happens when PEG is set. it may have started and worked but still with a dim screen or worked but only booted with IGP and fn+f7 didnt switch to 7970m

Why a blind flash?

Yes when i select SG as primary and set IGP as auto it boots only boots with IGP and wont let me switch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.