[GUIDE] Installing and Overclocking the AMD Mobility 7970 in the M17x R3,an illustrated guide

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by SlickDude80, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Revelator

The Revelator Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Right click on the desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel. When it launches, click on Manage 3D Settings from the left hand column. Click on the Program Settings tab. Under box 1, scroll down and select Crysis.exe (or whatever). Then under box 2, select Nvidia 580M or High Performance Nvidia Processor (differs between programs, but whichever is available with Crysis). Click on Apply, and you should be set, with the system automatically switching to the 580M when Crysis is launched.

2. pantresazer

pantresazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Still laggy framerates I just upgraded from 6970m... have the latest drivers as well.

What is a BIOS for gtx 580m and how do I install it I downloaded it from Dell's site so maybe that will fix my problem? My computer is reading the card and its showing up in system properties so I assume its installed correctly.

3. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    churt, you are suffering from throttling. It is well documented in this forum. The 580m's power throttle at 63c and then there is a temps throttle at 78c. Probably a 6990m would have been easier to deal with. Keep the back of the laptop elevated to reduce temps, use good thermal pads, and good thermal paste is definitely required with the 580m.

please view this thread for all the answers that you seek:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...throtting-fix-no-need-modify-system-bios.html

4. pantresazer

pantresazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think its throttling because it lags as soon as I start playing....

5. aznpos531

aznpos531 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome guide! +rep when I can :)

6. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Churt, do you mind if im a bit rude and ask you to try in a different thread or create your own new one? this thread is going to get very busy with it being an install guide for a 7970 ;)

7. Hanza

Hanza Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. First off, awesome job slick, I am really going to get one of these when or if I can all because of you and your enthusiasm over it haha. Quick question though for everyone. I believe I read this in another thread but I wanted to receive definitive confirmation if it's true or not. I have an m17x r3 with a 580m and the 3d 120 hz display, i mainly got it for the higher quality display. That being said, is the 7970m compatible with my display? If it isn't I'm definitely going to be a sad panda. Thanks for your time everyone! Best forum ever!

Edit: Right after I posted this I seen slick's post earlier today answering my question in full. Sucks :( Still, awesome guide Slick!!

8. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks Hanza!

There's always the 680m for you ;)

9. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    Guys my card dead was TOTALLY my problem (or the card was faulty), Slick's guide is piece of cake easy to follow ready to cook, everything, don't be scared! just follow it to the point and you will be fine (AND USE A DAMN AMD HEATSINK!!!!) :)

10. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

Reputations:
    The heat sink is the same thing for all the cards isn't it? My 6990m fits great with my old 460m heatsink, just had to move all the thermal pads around. ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.