[Guide] Improving Battery Life on Windows [+Enabling Deeper C States]

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Che0063, Apr 14, 2018.

?

What was your increase in battery life after following this guide?

1. None (decreased)

38.5%
  2. 20%

7.7%
  3. 40%

38.5%
  4. 50% +

15.4%
  1. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. They slow down startup, but if you use them then don't bother disabling.
    2. No, you should see the settings regardless of what driver it is. Could it be an incomplete installation? It's ok if the generic driver says it is not compatible, most people force it through Device Manager anyway. Most modern laptops should have the obev settings.

2. Mr.K-1994

Mr.K-1994 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I looked at the settings and there's no such thing you mentioned in the OP.

Attached Files:

3. Che0063

Reputations:
    Then perhaps your display doesn't support such options. BUt that is unlikely. You should be able to change the stitgns for the plan. Idk, the onlyt hing I can suggest is a clean reinstall of a drivers using Driver Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Thaht's rare, and I've never seen such issues.

4. Mr.K-1994

Reputations:
    Maybe I should go back to the OG driver from the manufacturer?
    But the Optimus stuttering issue as far as I am concerned isn't fixed completely and you have to use the latest drivers from NVIDIA and Intel to fix it.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Mr.K-1994

Reputations:
    And also I have like 4 Realtek HD Audio Background process on startup and I have disabled them.
    Should I?

6. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi Che and all,

I eventually ended up cleaning everything, by formatting my C: drive and reinstalling Windows.

I now get even lower C0 and higher C3, but still no C6/C7 (image below).

I ran an energy-report to see if something was messing, and indeed 2 errors appeared (see below) : a USB composite wont enter selective suspend (but I suspect it to be linked with keyboard and trackpad since uninstalling it disables those two), and ASPM is disabled due to a known incompatibility.
    Those two already existed with my older Windows.

Could it be them that prevent the deeper C-States ? Not quite sure since ASPM is used when the d-GPU is being used, which is not the case while idling. Also, uninstalling the USB composite won't change the C-States in throttlestop.
    And I don't know how to re-enable ASPM (tried looking on the web but nothing worked out so far).
    Btw, if info on my computer is needed, I have a Razer Blade 14 from 2013 and the BIOS is locked with no options regarding C-States/ASPM or something else.
    I posted a thread on the Razer section of this forum to see if someone can help.

So what could definitely be the issue ? Maybe Razer didn't unlock C6-C7 but they seem so on Throttlestop, and I definitely remember getting -7-9k mW discharge rate, while now I can't get below -12-13k mW. Pretty annoying.
    Could it be a recent Windows update ? I'm not quite sure but I remember getting way lower discharge rate a few months ago, with nothing new except the Spring Creators Update.

Thanks again for your help,
    Regards,

Attached Files:

Che0063 likes this.
  7. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just installed this program made by Microsoft, Joulometer, and it says this (if it can help) :
    what is base power consumption ? CPU seems way too low and base quite high, and definitely not possible on a laptop with a 70k mWh battery that used to have 6hours of battery life (not dreaming, I checked old reviews from 2013 to see if I overestimated it).

Hope I'll find what is wrong someday... going from 4 to 6 hours of battery would definitely help me for my work.

Attached Files:

Che0063 likes this.
  8. Mr.K-1994

Reputations:
    Dear Che,
    I have ssome questions:
    1.What are C-states and which is the best for battery life?
    2.Can you do a guide on Advanced advanced power settings you mentioned in this guide?
    It's so confusing and frustrating.
    Thanks beforehand!

9. Che0063

Reputations:
    C states are a power saving feature on modern CPUs. They range from C0 to C10. C0 is when your CPU is fully on. C10 is where it is basically 100% off. For most (99.9999%) of laptops, C9 and C10 will be disabled due to manufacturer laziness and instability. Entering and exiting each deeper C state takes longer and longer. If you force 100% of your CPU into C10, you'd have a non-functioning computer, because all of the transistors would be off. There is lots of information on this online, and it is something you can easily google.

Those "Advanced" advanced power settings are very confusing and frustrating for me too. The best thing to do is trial and error and see which works for you.

I'm actually considering removing that section, because I don't think it helps very much. It just makes the guide more difficult.

Vasudev and Mr.K-1994 like this.
  10. Mr.K-1994

Reputations:
    How to fix the goddamn thing that my laptop keeps jumping a lot of percentage to C2 instead of C8 under very light workload(Edge with one Youtube tab at 1080p and two other tabs,including this website) and also consumes like 10-14mW on such loads(around 10%-20% CPU usage).
    I was using the iGPU at the time,even enforcing it inside the NVIDIA Control Panel.And my fans are at 0 rpm.