[Guide] Improving Battery Life on Windows [+Enabling Deeper C States]

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Che0063, Apr 14, 2018.

?

What was your increase in battery life after following this guide?

1. None (decreased)

17.5%
  2. 20%

17.5%
  3. 40%

25.0%
  4. 50% +

40.0%
  1. __Square__

__Square__ Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Che for responding, I just have to say your guide definitely improved the idle wattage.[​IMG] [​IMG] Im not sure which website to download batteryinfoview, as ive never used it and theres like 100 different websites for it, could you send a link for the one you used please? Thanks again for the quick response.

2. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    BatteryInfoView was linked in my first post. Alternatively, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/battery_information_view.html Scroll down to where it clicks BatteryInfoView

Your Throttlestop main window confuses me. C0% is acceptably low, and you have aC10% working (which is rare) Yet almost 50% of your package is stuck in C2/C3. I am not sure if this a platform configuration issue, which you have little control over.

I've never seen a situation where that's been the case. My best guess is that there is some software in the background that is doing something. Are all Razer software services disabled? Don't just click quit in the bottom right taskbar, but did you follow the services.msc or msconfig guide in the first post? I am seeing NVIDIA Share processes in your Task Manager - do you need this? If not, just disable it

Please go to the Task Manager Processes Tab, Maximise the window, and then click on CPU. It should look something like this. Send a screenshot of it please
    upload_2021-10-30_13-16-48.png

Next time could you plesae just copy and paste the URL, so that I do not have to inspect element to look for it :p
    upload_2021-10-30_13-15-24.png

Vasudev likes this.
  3. __Square__

__Square__ Newbie

Reputations:

Yes thank you for taking time with this, I actually don't use synapse and have it completely uninstalled (its the worst software I've ever used). I have a BIOS mod which essentially just unlocked the thermal limit that is set by razer but doesn't affect anything while on battery. My battery life before and after the mod hasn't changed. I will disable the nvidia stuff like you said. I just today found something really odd which is while im in chrome right now the wattage stays at 1.1 and even just 1 sometimes where if im looking at the desktop its at 1.5-1.7. Is this normal behavior? And also I didnt even notice that my package was staying at C2 C3, I knew C10 was good but I only ever get like 30% in C10 and no more.
    https://i.imgur.com/HsIbNlS.png
    https://i.imgur.com/yrhduNJ.png

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  4. __Square__

__Square__ Newbie

Reputations:
    ok, for some reason it wont let me edit my reply but ive made a discovery. I can get TS to show this,
    https://i.imgur.com/Z99g96h.png
    with my C10 being at over 40% and my C0% being way below 1 which ive never seen before. This only happened after closing and opening the lid and then opening chrome and messing with some tabs and going back to the desktop. I also noticed my laptop went to sleep and woke up super quickly. (theres a green led that turns white when its alseep) However before I messed with anything or opened anything it stayed at 3 watts with the C0% being around 1. This was after disabling nvidia in services and msconfig. C2 is better but still there, this is insane I feel like im getting closer to the culprit. There must be some driver issue with nvidia or something what would you recommend? Thanks for dealing with my rambling lmaoooo.

5. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Something unrelated but might help is the HP crap you have in the background - don't you have a razer laptop? What is HP software doing in your background? You should disable anything that you do not use in msconfig or services.msc

Your CPU C0% is excellent. A+
    Package C state at 95% is also A+
    The issue here is something is periodically blocking the package from entering anything below C2 and/or C3

C2 and C3 high active states will leave your package power high. Anything belowe C6 is "good enough" to get down to a package power of 0.4-0.6W IIRC, depending on your CPU.

Driver issues/incompatibilites are extremely difficult to diagnose. If possible, either do a clean Windows reinstallation, or use a razer-provided factory image and see if CPU Package power is reduced.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. __Square__

__Square__ Newbie

Reputations:
    So I did a full clean install again of windows 10 this time instead of 11 and the last 2 times must have been bugged because this time windows is butter smooth. Unfortunately the same characteristics regarding C states remain, nothing changed. I have the latest BIOS and firmware from razer. Everything from services disabled from msconfig too. I cant find a razer factory image but its running extremely well rn on balanced mode and all the same settings. I really dont know how this clean install was different from the last two times but wtvr thats my luck lol. TS shows that my wattage is stuck at 2.7 - 3W and randomly will go way down and then enter C10 when im not looking so what you are saying makes perfect sense. Seeing as this is a straight up fresh install I could only think that some of the factory drivers are bugged. I updated the intel one to the 2021 which had no effect and installed nvidia driver because without it, my fans would be ramped up constantly. Audio drivers, thunderbolt, touchpad and im sure a couple other things got installed through windows so those must be the only things but when I go to search for an update they all say I have the latest ones, what would you suggest? Thanks.

7. Emtee_

Emtee_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a newer Razer Blade Stealth 2020 (13") and I can tell you that the C10 state reporting is broken. Sometimes it eventually shows, sometimes it never reports again. Sometimes closing lid or standby, or a full restart works.

However I say that it is bugged because even when C10 doesnt report, my discharge rate is still at around -2.500w, which is the expected drain when C10 is fully kicking in.

My tip, watch the discharge rate when C10 actually reports properly, and assume that is the correct discharge rate when C10 works. If it doesn't report, just check discharge rate anyhow CPU Package power is also equally bugged when C10 doesn't report.

On my desktop PC with modded bios, there are some C10 options as well to fix certain bugs, but for my desktop it isn't relevant as I don't want aggressive power saving there. I don't see such an option on my razer blade bios (which is also exposed to show hidden settings etc).

Anyhow I get about 50% C10 on Idle with custom modded LTSC 2019 and new 21H2 with discharge of -2.500~mw with battery estimate of 22 hours, cpu package at around 0.250mw~ (Brightness and keyboard backlight on lowest)

I am actually chasing another 100mw off my CPU package which I've observed on occasion, but I cannot find out where this comes from. Maybe another calculation bug and I'm chasing a ghost. Either way I think I have achieved the absolute lowest possible battery drain I can achieve.

8. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    C10 gives around 400mw less. My lg gram 16 will then need around 1.8w overall with 600-800mw package (screen is still quite bright at 50 nits, other laptops go lower). So the cpu package is quite a problem on an otherwise super efficient laptop.
    On idle it can run around 50 hours. But in real use depending on display brightness only 11-18 hours. Watching movies gets 25 hours or so, Intel is good at that. Clearly CPU is the main problem, Intel needs to catch up here. For AMD I think it is more stuff like WiFi and Mainboard and so on that is really inefficient. Intel has that dialled. Displays got very efficient too. . Nvme with Dev sleep too.

The biggest change in battery life with Tiger Lake is the browser. Those numbers are with edge and performance mode on, with chrome or Edge without performance mode I can cut away 1/3 of runtime. Somehow edge with performance mode is way easier on the CPU. This difference isn't there nearly as much with older Intel CPUs. Tiger Lake really has a scheduler problem I think. Light load it sucks if not optimized Software.

This guide here is missing in that point. The most important thing is sticking to Windows apps if possible (eg watching movies) and using Edge with performance mode. All other things are peanuts in comparison if the laptop comes well organized from the manufacturer.

9. Emtee_

Emtee_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you try working with EPP value and/or exposed (unhide) power plan settings? There's like a dozen options that can be tweaked.

Also in BIOS, assuming you have unlocked bios with exposed options, there are things to tweak about C-states, latency tradeoffs, Demote/promote behavior, clock scaling etc.

Furthermore downvolting various cpu (related) components can obviously help for mid to high load.

10. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes I used the full arsenal, and the lg gram bios can be opened to a huge setting of arsenals. But it all changes very little.
    The main change is the nvme devsleep which was not enables by default and maybe saves 50-60mw on a Samsung 980 (non pro, the pro uses more power).

I even undervolted on bios level but that doesn't change anything on tiger lake U.

But then there must be a reason that the lg gram wins all battery life tests. LG tweaked a lot and must have carefully chosen the components and already changed most windows settings.

So the main thing really is which apps/software you use. And windows inbuilt apps are really low power compared to any other software out there. And the edge performance mode is clearly super aggressive too. I have been using it since 10 months or so on the dev channel, and back then it frequently crashed websites. Its not as efficient anymore but the bugs are gone.

Maybe if your laptop doesn't support c10 then those tips do much more.

Oh yeah another tweak that works well is not using antivirus, the windows antivirus is actually not battery efficient. Other antivirus are less demanding (I switched to the free Panda AV). I have a windows server for compiling stuff. And on my usual compile of 25 hours, without antivirus the time went down to 24 hours. And that was already after I excluded all relevant folders from scanning. Before it was like 25.5 hours (Ryzen 3600 dedicated/64GB Ram/980 pro nvme).
    But I don't feel safe without AV on my daily driver. On the server it's different, I don't install anything that I don't absolutely need).

I'm sure actual undervolting would help. Well actually I undervolted the RAM but on lpddr4 this doesn't change a whole lot.
    On other laptops the guide helps more. But really if it's not misconfigured or a lot of autostarts and you use the browser a lot, this is the main thing that important