[Guide] Improving Battery Life on Windows [+Enabling Deeper C States]

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Che0063, Apr 14, 2018.

?

What was your increase in battery life after following this guide?

1. None (decreased)

17.5%
  2. 20%

17.5%
  3. 40%

25.0%
  4. 50% +

40.0%
  1. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting your findings.

I think a lot of the time it may come down to certain NVMe power saving modes that are not emabled or incorrectly configured in the BIOS. A fair few laptops can run NVMe laptops with no battery drain (SN520, PM961 in my experience).
    The converse can apply for SATA SSDs. YMMV

2. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just switch off indexing and other crap. With devsleep enabled my c drive only is active 1/20 of the time. I moved temp files to ramdisk, especially your browser temp directory... And use edge canary with performance mode on....

You can then check it works by looking at time on of the drive in smart data. After 2000 hours windows on my nvme c drive only has 160 hours on time.... But yeah get an efficient laptop with big battery in first place. Best wait for alder lake. It's gonna be way better. Current CPUs are ****ty in light work. They are only efficient at idle and video.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. exoptable

exoptable Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there! I've been trying to get the most out of deeper C-States on my i5-8250U Lenovo Yoga C930-13IKB and have ended up with seemingly reasonable numbers on idle, with my system drawing about 3.6-4 mW on average at a 33°-36°C C0% temperature on battery power. [https://imgur.com/a/N1F7GvC]

I'm curious as to whether there's any way of allowing the system to enter C9 and C10 states, as I know in your guide you mention that enabling "Panel Self-Refresh" allows the system to enter those two states. Is there any known means of tweaking one's system to actually access those two deeper states besides being a togglable setting via the Intel Graphics Command Center / Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel? Apparently the "Panel Self-Refresh" setting is via the "Power" tab within the "System" section in the Intel Graphics Command Center application, but sadly it's not an option on either one of my two Windows 10 devices (https://imgur.com/a/M2HJP7I).
    [​IMG]

4. Che0063

Reputations:
    I am not aware of any way to enable PSR unles syour dispaly panel supports it. Unfortunately, it seems to be a requirement for C9/10, so that's not an option for you :(

5. viktor5001

viktor5001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A little OT maybe: My first laptop was a C2D HP Pavillion with a 48Wh battery. Battery backup was poor at just 1.5hrs (Nvidia dGPU didn't help) but standby was pretty decent at close to a week (I didn't actually test it over a week but extrapolated it after a couple of days use). But in my 8th gen. Acer Nitro 5, when brand new, standby time was actually lower at about 4 days(again only checked over a day or so) with a similarly sized 49Wh battery. Battery backup was vastly better at 7-8.5hrs after being properly optimised following this guide. Could the difference in RAM (3GB in the HP and 20GB in the Acer) alone account for this discrepancy? Significant drop in voltages from DDR2 to DDR4 though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  6. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Look for settings in the BIOS and in power options and disable:
    1. Wake on LAN. This keeps the LAN port partially alive when the laptop is switched off.
    2. Allow powering external USB devices when the laptop is off. This allows the laptop's battery to be used as a power bank.
    3. Looking for hotspots/ public wifi.

Personally, I prefer to shut down rather than go on standby. Learned that lesson when I closed the lid and put the laptop in my bag. When I took it out, the screen was black. Something had prevented the laptop from going into standby and the poor thing cooked itself in the bag. Recovered after I let it cool down.

7. viktor5001

viktor5001 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1.Wake on LAN was disabled IIRC. I will check again to be sure.
    2. There was an Acer utilty to block this but sometime after it stopped having any effect.
    3. Connectd Standby isn't supported. So I think after being put to Sleep Wifi is off?
    I mostly hibernate the laptop but in the last few months hibernation isn't working as reliably as in the past.

Spartan@HIDevolution and Che0063 like this.
  8. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just in case someone is curious about this, I managed to dig out the instructions I had saved in one of my many external drives.
    CAUTION: This hack worked in 2015 on Sony Vaio VPCZ1. DO NOT apply it blindly on your system. I'm merely suggesting that we use this information to guide us in doing further research into the maximum brightness issue.

Anyway, here is the post:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-fix-dim-screen-vpc-z.497093/
    Code:
    You guys are gonna love this...I've mentioned a few times that when running other os's the screen on my Z runs significantly brighter than in Windows. Well I've found the culprit. Sony limits the display brightness to less than 100% even when you crank it, disable auto-dimming, etc. Please note that there "may" be a reason for this...longer life of the panel, lower heat, etc....but my guess is it's all about battery life. Here's the fix:

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation\Vaio Event Service\Settings\VESAutoDimmer

You will see brightness levels in there - P00 through P08. P08 is used when you set the brightness to max...note it's NOT 255 but it should be! Change the value of P08 to 255 (make sure you select decimal or who knows what will happen) and reboot. Enjoy your significantly brighter screen. 

Spartan@HIDevolution and Che0063 like this.
  9. __Square__

__Square__ Newbie

Reputations:
    hello everyone, i hate to beg but ive had poor battery life on my Razerblade Stealth late 2019 GTX... ive basically given up at this point... fresh reinstall of windows 11, most recent september 2021 intel drivers and nvidia drivers, disabled services ive had this laptop for 2 years now and its been the same ~4hours of light use. The one thing that has even persisted through the reinstall is this one intel display driver bug in windows update. It basically keeps trying to install a 2019 version of the intel graphics drivers despite having the latest version. Ive tried to uninstall my current one and let windows update it but it doesnt work, i wouldnt think this would cause such heavy battery drain but that the only thing i can think of. Other users have reported 8-10 hours depending on the panel, I have the 4k touch (which was a mistake for a 13inch laptop) but I have a hard time believing that I should be getting only 4 hours. For the entire time ive owned this I always thought it was normal but seeing other peoples wattage below 1 where mine is always at 1.5 i know something can be done. (I dont know how to attach images please help im new lol thanks)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  10. Che0063

Reputations:
    Can you send screenshots of your Task Manage rWindow sorted by CPU, Throttlestop main window, as well as batteryinfoview main window please?
    Consider uploading to imgur, and sending links to these.

Vasudev and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.