[Guide] Improving Battery Life on Windows [+Enabling Deeper C States]

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Che0063, Apr 14, 2018.

?

What was your increase in battery life after following this guide?

1. None (decreased)

17.1%
  2. 20%

14.3%
  3. 40%

31.4%
  4. 50% +

37.1%
  1. schmendrik

schmendrik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i did all this but cannot reach under 4w with windows7.
    i get 2.5w with win10, any ideas what might cause this?
    im running a i5-6300u only integrated HD520, al drivers up to date.
    throttlestop is saying 1.5w pkg power on win7 while 0.5 on win10.. no ideas anymore.

2. IntelUser

IntelUser Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows 10 has better support for the latest power management features. Actually, it was 8/8.1 that did this and 10 is an offshoot of that so.

3. schmendrik

schmendrik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have another laptop with an even newer 7200u and is running under 3w in idle without problems on win7..
    maybe another idea whats missing, some update maybe for ahci or something similar?

4. IntelUser

IntelUser Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. Fighwithadeagle

Fighwithadeagle Newbie

Reputations:
    In the never ending quest to reduce power consumption, I'm now working on my 2019 Spectre x360. i can get extremely low idle power consumption (0.3w), but it seems to spike up higher than expected when actively doing something on the laptop. Just scrolling through reddit, it really peaks power consumption to between 8 watts and 13 watts. I have the cpu undervolted by 0.115 mv, and everything is set to more power-efficient settings (ie cores are allowed to park, hardware duty cycling enabled, speedstep enabled, turbo disabled, etc).

Does anyone have some suggestions for where to look to investigate a non-squared frequency to power ratio? I mean going from 800 mhz to 1.3 ghz on the cores pushes the laptop from consuming between 2.6 and 3.5 watts up towards 8-13 watts. Anything from typing to scrolling causes this dramatic increase in power.

EDIT: I mean total power consumption, not just cpu power consumption. I get an increase from 0.3 watts on the cpu cores to around 2 watts, but this doesn't account for the rest of the change in power consumption of the laptop. I don't see markedly more activity on the igpu, and I can't measure the uncore power consumption because it spikes it when I record it.

6. IntelUser

IntelUser Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Fighwithadeagle Maybe you shouldn't disable Turbo on your device?

Icelake's base frequency is very low so with Turbo disabled it'll only be at 1.3GHz. If non-CPU power dominates as you say, you'll benefit from Turbo since it'll finish tasks faster.

7. Fighwithadeagle

Fighwithadeagle Newbie

Reputations:
    Base frequency on. 9750h is 2.6ghz, but it's not even coming close to 2.6 with automatic frequency adjustments. I even have speed step to set at 220 to favor battery and set a matching frequency in windows. This is all on a power saver energy profile

8. IntelUser

IntelUser Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see, you are talking about the larger Spectre, not the smaller one with 10th Gen 10nm.

Can't really say. Maybe its not really running on the iGPU and it engages the MX250?

At least it has a huge battery.

9. 0doyle

0doyle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anyone having issues with the new windows update, version 2004? After updating I am no longer able to access anything deeper than c3, battery life has tanked by 50%, power consumption is up to 15w from about 7w.

10. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmmm not really; I've been using 2004 for a few months now. Try rolling back and see if its a driver change/incompatibility, which it most likely is.

0doyle likes this.