[Guide] Improving Battery Life on Windows [+Enabling Deeper C States]

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Che0063, Apr 14, 2018.

?

What was your increase in battery life after following this guide?

1. None (decreased)

23.8%
  2. 20%

19.0%
  3. 40%

38.1%
  4. 50% +

19.0%
  1. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Regarding a bugged BIOS, that is certainly a possibility knowing Dell. It could also be immature drivers published by Dell as well. Unfortunately I can only help you so much since I don't have that same model / class of Dell laptop and my system is pretty heavily modified as far as my software / Windows installation goes. Excluding a bugged BIOS, there is a good chance some of us here can help figure it out or possibly pin down the root cause if you want to keep trying for it though.

2. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yup. Most 8750Hs idle at 0.3W. You need to find out what's causing your CPU to lock up to C3 state and not into C7. Massive battery saving potential here. I can't give you any tips except to say that every system is unique.

I have seen many screenshots of 8750Hs on the ThrottleStop Thread. I'm jealous at their C states, on some Dell machinese (I think it was the XPS) C10 is enabled, enabling further battery savings. I assure you 0.4W is possible.

If you think that new machines shouldn't need any tuning, you'd be surprised. On my tablet, it took me weeks to find out that the Hinge Angle Detection (mine is a 2in1, so it needs to know when to disable the keyboard) was causing the CPU to get stuck in C2 state.
    A few years back on my Aspire E15 it took me months to finally pinpoint that there was likely a hardware issue (or maybe bios) that was causing excessive system interrupts, resulting in the CPU being stuck in C3. I got that laptop returned.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Maleko48 likes this.
  3. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So after yet another weekend of tuning and pruning I have managed to get my system's true idle down to a consistent 0.3W to 0.4W (not doing anything at all, with no applications open; ie: useless really). With Chrome and ~35-40 tabs open and still doing nothing, it idles in the range of 0.5W to 0.9W. Finally when typing and using my keyboard / trackpad to type this into Chrome, it seems to use in the range of 1.0W to 2.0W. When holding the backspace on my keyboard to kill a paragraph my system tops out at 3.0W. Watching a YouTube video takes about 2.5W to 3.5W on 720p and about 3.0W to 4.0W on 1080p (minimal colors and movement though). My highest burst while doing all of this was less than 9.0W (turbo boost disabled, 2.8GHz maximum CPU speed for my most conservative profile).

4. duttyend

duttyend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to put together such a great guide ! It has been very helpful !

I suggest an addition note to allow and set hidden power settings easily using this excellent tool :
    Windows power plan settings explorer utility
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-power-plan-settings-explorer-utility.416058/

5. ClevoTig

ClevoTig Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

i wanted to share my expirences with "Improving battery Life on Windows" and ask if there is anything else I can do to enable deeper C states. But let's start from the beginning.

System:
    - Clevo N857HJ
    - i5 7300HQ; 8GB DDR4 RAM; GTX1050 4GB
    - Windows 1903 Pro freshly installed last week
    - MX500 1TB M2 SATA SSD

Improving battery Life:

1. From basic, to advanced.
    - Disabled non needed autostart programs
    - Disabled non needed services via the Black Viper’s Service configuration list
    - Disabled non needed services via msconfig
    - Disabled non needed schedueld tasks

2. Disable eye-candy (Skip if in a hurry)
    - Basically done everything except some, because it didn't had an noticeabled effect on PKG Power and I like some "eye candy"

3. HIPM+DIPM+DevSleep (important)
    - Done via registry
    - Config from power management:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: I have no PCIE SSD installed. Just a M2 SATA SSD. Lowering AHCI Link Power Management Adaptive "on AC" to 5ms didn't had any effect on PKG Power.

Note: After a system reboot the AHCI Link power management option and adaptive AHCI link power management - adaptive is automatically set back to value 1 in registry.

4. Undervolt (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT)
    - Done: CPU+Cache -95mv; Intel GPU -120mv via ThrottleStop

5. Enable Speedshift (Meh)
    - Done: on AC 80; on Battery 188 via ThrottleStop

6. Check/Enable deeper C States [Intel] (VERY IMPORTANT)
    - I still havn't figured out how to enable deeper C states on my notebook. I think this is the issue for the high PKG Power value. My notebook is basically stuck at level C3. But lets start with what I tried so far:
    - Updating drivers delivered from clevo (sadly the newest one from their website are from 2017) ==> no effect on C states or PKG Power
    - Updating intel driver: Updated bluetooth driver, wifi driver and intel HD graphics driver ==> no effect on C states or PKG Power
    - Installed Intel RST tool/driver and disabled LPM ==> C states got stuck at C2, so it made it worse
    - Installed Intel RST tool/driver and enabled LPM ==> C states are back again with max. C3
    - Uninstalled Intel RST (still uninstalled now because it didn't had an improving effect) ==> C are again still at C3
    - BIOS Options: None; Sadly my AMI BIOS seems to be pretty much locked down. I don't have any CPU related setting for undervolting or C state configurations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone got some ideas what else I could try?

After installing Intel RST the IDE ATA controller driver changed from standard to the intel one. The SATA M2 driver for the MX500 is/was still the default microsoft one. Is there a Intel oder Crucial specific M2 SATA driver I can try?

7. Intel Graphics
    - Everything set to maximum battery life

8. Fans are fine

9. No other devices connected

10. Increase the longevity of your laptop battery.
    - Enabled BIOS FlexiCharger: Charging starts at 60% and stops at 80%.

Edit: Some more info:

During idle with firefox and throttlestop open
    [​IMG]

All processes are running in task manager with power consumption "very low"

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  6. Che0063

Reputations:
    Welcome to NBR.

No. 6 is your massive issue. 1.4W on idle is entirely unacceptable. You should be aiming for 0.4W or even 0.3W. If you solve your C state issue, you should get massive increases in battery life.

upload_2019-7-8_8-26-48.png
    Just clarifiying, is this what you mean?

Everything looks good from here. At the moment it seems that your C states can be fixed with drivers. But if you want to solve this, can you try a linux live cd or whatever they are called thesedays? If you put the image on your USB, run linux without the M.2 SATA SSD and see if the issue still occurs. IIRC you can check with "PowerTop"

Also are you sure that you cannot go any lower for your undervolt? Most HQ cpus can go down to 140mv or more.

Attached Files:

7. ClevoTig

ClevoTig Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply!

Not exactly. After installing Intel Rapid Store Technology driver the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller changed to a intel one. The disk driver for the mx500 ssd I think was still a Microsoft generic one. Is there a special driver for ssd drives?

[​IMG]

Done and seems to be pretty good. I used a ubuntu live boot usb device and installed powertop. Seems like with ubuntu my cpu uses even C10 states in IDLE!

[​IMG]

What can I do next? It seems like the SSD is the issue?! I still got some bunch of drivers I could try (Cardreader, Audio, Fingerprint, Touchpad, LAN, Chipset, SGX). I didn't run their installer so far because
    a) Intels driver update utility didn't recommend a new chipset or SGX driver or
    b) the ones installed from Windows Update seem to be more up to date.
    Should I try them?

Sidenote: I got a new BIOS + EC Version from manufacturer. If I don't have to I think I shouldn't flash a new BIOS or?

Not 100%. I did the undervolting with Intel XTU 2 years ago. Because I know found ThrottleStop (XTU is a mess) I will try / test again. A quick test resulted in a bluescreen with -135mv on CPU and Cache. I'm now at -125mv an will test IDLE, low frequencies (watching video etc.) and prime stress test.

8. Che0063

Reputations:
    Your IDE ATA/ATAPI controller should NOT be the generic standard Microsoft one. It should be by Intel Corporation like mine, because we both have M.2 SATA SSDs. If you don't want to hunt around you could try a driver updater utility (but definitely don't pay for one, and uninstall immediately after done)
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you seem to be having the same issue in Linux. your PACKAGE C states (on the left) indicate that it is limited to C.2 (pc2) i.e. not working. Your CPU cores remaining in C10 is perfectly normal. :p

Maleko48 likes this.
  9. ClevoTig

ClevoTig Newbie

Reputations:
    After hours of searching for intel drivers, I used a driver update utility to find other outdated drivers. It came up with Realtek drivers for LAN and Card Reader. After installing the LAN driver an rebooting the notebook my Package finally IDLEs at C8 states and power consumption is even in non C8 states massively lower. While charging my packages IDLEs in C2/C3 at 0.8w. Fully charged and on battery my package IDLEs at C8 and mostly 0.4w or even 0.3w. Take a look:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for your help! So I can conclude:
    - Intel Rapid Store works for me if LPM is enabled
    - Take always a look at other devices (e.g. Realtek devices) and update them

Is there anything more I can optimise? Should I do perform the BIOS and EC Update from my manufacturer (maybe because of Meltdown or Spectore Microcode Updates?)?

Maleko48 likes this.
  10. Che0063

Reputations:
    Great to hear that! I'll add your findings to the main post. That being said I still feel like there are excessive background programs. Your C0% should be lower still.
    I wouldn't bother with the BIOS. yOU've fixed everything you can.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019