[Guide] Improving Battery Life on Windows [+Enabling Deeper C States]

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Che0063, Apr 14, 2018.

?

What was your increase in battery life after following this guide?

1. None (decreased)

20.8%
  2. 20%

16.7%
  3. 40%

29.2%
  4. 50% +

33.3%
  1. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is amazing... 18hrs on a 60WHr battery equals a discharge rate of about 3.3W for local video playback... That's on par or even better than what I achieve on my m3 tablet with a 13 inch 1080p screen... What is your complete 100% idle with 0% brightness? My laptop idles at 2.5W

My previous notebook with the 8250U would IDLE at 3.3-3.5W...

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey @Che0063 I was having deep idle state issues again after my most recent Windows v1903 update and system debloat and finally figured it out (again) as this time there was an extra step aside from the "HIPM/DIPM" trick alone. See my quote I just posted on the Throttle Stop thread:

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot, that's what I had meddled with some time back, I thought it was specific to only my machine. I have mine set to 10ms. (100ms still had my C7 jumping up to C3 every few seconds) I'll add it on in a few weeks time, I"m buried under examinations.

Vasudev and Maleko48 like this.
  4. Freddious

Freddious Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Che0063!

Its a great guide you've put together, luckily I have the mi notebook pro as well, so it was really easy to follow along. Your username is familiar from the MIUI forum (EC table thread).

Battery life definitely ugraded, idling C0% and PKG Power hovering around 0.5-1.5!

[​IMG]

5. MacHater

MacHater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've been trying to follow your guideline in determining whether or not my notebook is behaving correctly in terms of idle power consumption...but if I am reading this correctly, the 8750H should be idling under 1W, correct? And it should be in C7 most of the time, correct? The absolute lowest package power recorded I'm getting is about 1.1W, and it seems most of the time the CPU is in C3.

Your insight would be appreciated :)

[​IMG]

I have not done a clean install, it's running the OS image that the machine came with. I've disabled 3rd party services and startup apps as much as I could.

I undervolted by 140.6mV

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Maleko48

Reputations:
    This is what my i7 7700HQ looks like when truly idle:

TS_IdleState.png

EDIT:

Also, if you have an external monitor plugged in via HDMI it may prevent idle states deeper than C3, at least it does on my machine which has a dedicated onboard dGPU.

7. MacHater

Reputations:
    I had nothing plugged into the laptop when I did this test. Just the laptop fully charged, unplugged by itself. No USB, no HDMI, no DP. It just seems to never go beyond C3. And idle package power never goes below 1.1W.

Maleko48 likes this.
  8. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Are you running on HDD or SSD?
    SATA or NVMe or both?
    Are you running in AHCI mode?
    Did you set your "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" option in your Advanced Power Options to "Lowest" AND set your "AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive" setting to "10ms" or more?

Also, why are you using SpeedStep and not Speed Shift EPP?

TS_Idle.png Advanced Power Options - settings.png

9. MacHater

Reputations:
    Two NVMe drives only. One SK Hynix drive that came with the machine, and an Intel 660p I added just yesterday (adding this drive did not change the CPU package power at all).

Not using SATA at all, as I've elected for the 90Wh battery option. So, no SATA drives at all in the system.

I have not yet touched those settings. But, given that they have "AHCI" in their naming, that sounds to me like they might not be applicable to this situation and only applies to SATA drives.

I didn't touch those settings at all in ThrottleStop. The only thing I changed in ThrottleStop was undervolting the vCore and vCache by 140.6mV. The BIOS appears to have had Speed Shift enabled by default already.

10. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Are you running in AHCI mode or using Intel RST for your SSDs? I run in AHCI mode with no Intel RST drivers on my lappy.

EDIT:
    you said you are on 2x NVMe drives, but are they both PCIe or is one on a SATA port? AHCI and Intel RST mentioned above should only apply to SATA connected drives, even if they are using an NVMe physical interface. I may have made a dumb with this detail considering I haven't had to dig very deep into my system in a while since it's been running pretty well for me. My system has 1x NVMe m.2 SSD running on PCIe and 1x SATA SSD running on SATA port.

^^^^^^^^^^ that's the most important detail in all of this imo. That is what kept my laptop from getting into C7 consistently. Activate those power options in your advanced power settings so they show up, then set them accordingly like I mentioned.

I would also un-check the SpeedStep and check the SpeedShift EPP box and set it to "0" for best performance and low consumption. I agree with UncleWebb's theory. There is no gain in forcing your CPU down to 800MHz on newer gen Core iX CPUs.

As you can see from my screenshot, your CPU can idle at <1W and still hold a 3+GHz clock speed when not loaded heavily. All of my screenshots I am showing you are me running on an EPP setting of "0" which gives desktop-like responsiveness.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019