[Guide] Improving Battery Life on Windows [+Enabling Deeper C States]

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Che0063, Apr 14, 2018.

?

What was your increase in battery life after following this guide?

1. None (decreased)

31.3%
  2. 20%

6.3%
  3. 40%

43.8%
  4. 50% +

18.8%
  1. UDPSendToFailed

UDPSendToFailed Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

I've followed the guide, C7 state is working, but I think the idle power consumption is still high.

[​IMG]

These values are with no external devices attached to the laptop, screen is on lowest brightness. Is this normal? The CPU is a Sandy Bridge i3 2310M.

2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A 2nd gen Intel mobile CPU isn't going to be as low power as anything 5th/6th gen or newer. Have you tried using Park Control with your machine? Your 2nd gen CPU is old enough that it should benefit from manually controlling your core parking.

UDPSendToFailed likes this.
  3. UDPSendToFailed

UDPSendToFailed Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I have Park Control and Process Lasso installed, in Park Control every settings are at 0%, it parks one core (or two HT) in idle. So this is okay for an old CPU, it lasts about 2-2.5 hours web browsing with 48.6Wh battery.

4. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm... have a search around the web for your CPU's idle power consumption - it seems a bit high. I know for sure that Haswel (4th gen) drastically decreased power consumption, but 5W during idle seems a little high... According to that program, your 'uncore' seems to be using a lot of power - that includes your cache and maybe PCH? I'm not sure about 2nd gen CPUs at all. Can you give a screenshot of your ThrottleStop C state window? Your PACKAGE should be in C6/7/8

UDPSendToFailed likes this.
  5. UDPSendToFailed

UDPSendToFailed Newbie

Reputations:
    Here is it:

[​IMG]

6. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Process Lasso is good while on AC power but it will keep your CPU busy when idling if you are trying to trim power consumption at idle (whether on AC or battery). For your purposes of trying to reduce your idle consumption I would completely kill Process Lasso to eliminate it as a variable while you are doing your tuning and experimentation. Once your machine is dialed in you can re-enable it for daily use. FWIW, I usually kill PL when running on battery to allow my cpu's cores to idle in a deeper state.

7. guidaki

guidaki Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey @Che0063 Thanks for this awesome guide!
    I purchased a dell 7290 few weeks ago, didn't have much time to test the battery, and only used a few times before i did some of the tweaks.
    First time i tested (stocked) i wached a movie about 2:00 hours and had left 11:30 hours of battery left.
    Second time i went to a customer and worked about 7 hours with wifi and severals programs opened and ended up with about 41% of battery.
    Yesterday i did some of your tweaks, and was on short a bus travel, and wached a movie about 1:45 hours, and ended up with 19:27 hours of battery life rest!!! It's amazing, a lot of improvement here. I don't use it much unplugged, but will be doing some more tests.
    I even didnt solved de C2 status, but on idle im getting about 0.5-0.7W on TS.
    One more time thanks for the effort! really happy with the result!

Vasudev and Che0063 like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    19 hrs is very good. What's the size of the battery? 99Wh?

guidaki likes this.
  9. guidaki

guidaki Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey @Vasudev its just a 60Wh battery, i think 12" HD resolution is helping a lot on this machine.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nice.