[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Negative imon offset, not positive. and values over 31999 seem to reset to 0 and start over again.

Avé César and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  2. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I could do -41999 on the GS65 though, I think the GS65 actually has very little limit in the BIOS :D

The IMON tweak is different to the DPTF tweak, every clock rate is linked to a certain cache ratio, every cache ratio is linked to a certain voltage and being used like profiles, it looks to me that he was seeing the actual clock rate linked to a lower cache ratio vs before enabling the DPTF, which probably also means lower voltage / lower wattage / lower temperature vs not using the DPTF.

What the IMON tweak actually does is that, it adds offset to the reported TDP, say if at full load you'll reach 70W, eventually when the 28 seconds limit is reached, it'll be brought down to 45W, but with IMON tweak, let's say you have an offset of -31999, the CPU will see 70W with an offset of -32W, which will be seen as 38W to the CPU, 38W is still less than the 45W limit, so the CPU will not activate the 45W limit.

DPTF looks interesting though.

4. Avé César

Reputations:
    @hackeness Thank you so much for this information, i have try from several days to understand a bit more but was hard for me. I did ask on another topic, but someone has delete my questions and links on different post, i thought i did something wrong or agains the forum rules.

I need to find out witch way/tweaks gonna apply, the IMON or DPTF.

hackness likes this.
  5. hackness

Reputations:
    Even though the DPTF was mentioned that it has done some changes to the Cache vs voltage vs frequency with enabling in the BIOS and install the correct driver plus some fine tuning, but I think I still don't quite understand its behavior, like why would it opt to lower the cache? How does each level of the TDP setting translate to the actual outcome? There are a lot of questions raised just by reading the posts.

I did a bit of bios digging and currently I've found that MSI / Gigabyte / Razer has the DPTF set to off by default, but ASUS has it set to on by default. However, I cannot find any DPTF driver on Asus site under the driver page for that laptop, from this we can see that even though it is turned on by default for the Asus laptop, the support is incomplete from Asus. Not sure about other brand though.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  6. Avé César

Reputations:
    That's why i didn't do anything on my pc, trying to understand it , but it's too complicate for my knowledge...

True, someone told me yesterday, after i made some research and ask about the intel DPTF... he tried to help me and point me to this topic on reddit, but it is for a Dell pc: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/7byhjq/disabling_intel_dptf_for_good/
    he told me to delete DPTF because it was the reason of the throttling, on the Dell.
    I couldn't find it on my pc, in any system32 file, or even in the drivers.

I will put back the throttle ini files, restart it, and make things in the bios tomorrow or this week end, hope won't mess up with it xD.

hackness likes this.
  7. Fivrr

Fivrr Newbie

Reputations:
    I am wondering wether this method would help me with my msi gf63 with the gtx1050ti maxq. The cpu is being constatly power limit throttled to 25w while gaming. Also, can i get that key combination to unlock the bios to follow the guide.

8. hackness

Reputations:
    Check PM.

9. Avé César

Reputations:
    Should I delete xtu ? or just put the profile to "default", will it interfer with Throttlestop even default ? the things that i like in xtu is the graph.

When you say :
    Can you explain a bit please (is it only for the GS65 ?)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  10. hackness

Reputations:
    I'd uninstall XTU myself, but some users keep both and have both set to the same setting, because ThrottleStop and XTU will fight each other for control.

Set CFG Lock to Disabled.

Will allow you to change the C state limit in Windows, so you don't need to go into BIOS if you want to change the C state limit.

C state limit is the highest C state allowed to go to.

Avé César likes this.