[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I was able to reproduce your symptom by simply enabling the Native ASPM on the GS65, it's disabled as default for some reason on the GS65 but is set to Auto on the 6th and 7th version of the GS73, but I think it may very well be one of the possibilities that you could get the correct C state behavior back by disabling it.

As that option is hidden for you on your 7th Gen GS73 as well, modded BIOS is probably your next step, I'm not familiar with that on the MSI, @Falkentyne does though.

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What are you guys trying to do?
    Disabling C-states disables ASPM anyway.
    Are you trying to get into something like C7 power state with cstates enabled?
    On MSI garbage that's impossible. Won't happen on AC power.
    On battery power its possible but I was only able to get the CORES into C7. The PACKAGE remained on C3. That's when I gave up and said I would never bother with it again.

3. Kers

Kers Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On my GS73VR 6RF, core reaches C7 on both AC and battery. Package stays in C3 no matter what I do. Probably just garbage MSI BIOS.

Falkentyne likes this.
  4. hackness

Reputations:
    GS65 goes all the way down to Package C8 on default settings, which are Native ASPM to disabled, C-state to C8 and PEG ASPM to Auto.

GS65 C8 on AC.PNG

As by Enabling Native ASPM on the GS65 will also put the C state to C3 max, I think it maybe a fix for the 6th and 7th Gen's Package C3 Max problem by disabling the Native ASPM in the 6th and 7th Gen as they have the Native ASPM on Auto by default.

But it could also be possible that MSI intended to run the 6th and 7th Gen with only package C3 at max. But it'll be really weird if they intended to do that though.

hmscott and Falkentyne like this.
  5. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What are your CPU frequency when stressing it with OCCT / Prime 95?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  6. hackness

Reputations:
    With AVX instruction or not?

7. Oytun Çağıl Koltuk

Oytun Çağıl Koltuk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey i am into follow this guide but i am stuck om first step that how to unlock my bios. Currently using msi ge63 rgb 8rf and i searched the forum for finding unlock combination keys of bios. Could you guys send it to me, if it possible to unlock my laptop?

8. hackness

Reputations:
    Check PM.

Falkentyne likes this.
  9. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, i got the MSI GE73 Raider 8RF ( bought and living in france ) and would like to ask you :

1 - Can i do the ''unlock bios'' with the same ''tweaks'' with the same number ? I don't know if my MSI serie is different, I use xtu for now and got some throttle power limit. With throttlestop too but some options doesn't apply on the 8750H.

2 - Is it possible to lock it later, to revert the process if i need to send the pc for repair in the future ?

3 - Will temperature change too with the IMON Offset tricks, if i understand the TDP will goes above 45 without going down to 39 like mine does for now ?

thx for the help.

10. hackness

Reputations:
    1. Should be able to stop the 45W power throttling, but if you find it still throttling, you can try

Set IMON Offset to 41999

2. Yes, you can revert it.

3. Temperature will be different because you'll be running at 3.9 x 6 cores full time if the software utilizes the CPU to a certain degree.

Avé César likes this.