[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Get in the BIOS and unlock the BIOS,

Then go to Advanced > Power & Performance > CPU - Power Management Control > CPU VR Settings > Core/IA VR Settings

Set IMON Slope to 50
    Set IMON Offset to 31999
    Set IMON Prefix to "-", This is important, if you set it wrong you'll throttle like no tomorrow.

Save and Reboot.

What this does is to have a negative offset of -31.999W on the reported TDP,

So the CPU will be tricked and thinks that the TDP limit has not been reached.

This is one of the methods brought to us by @Falkentyne .

2. kill4l

kill4l Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    it works flawlessly, amazing,) no more throttle :D

hackness likes this.
  3. Hyp3rSoniX

Hyp3rSoniX Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys!
    I recently bought the MSI GS65 8RF and Im pretty happy with it. But the temps are a bit on the higher side.
    Now I found this thread here, but (obviously) I'm stuck at unlocking the Bios.

Would someone be so kind to provide the combination to unlock it to me? I will take the knowledge up to my grave so no worries there.

And also, is it possible to undervolt the CPU in the unlocked Bios? Or do I still need to use tools like ThrottleStop for that?

4. hackness

Reputations:
    Check PM.

Undervolting in the BIOS is not recommended on the GS65 due to not being able to perform a full CMOS reset unless you get into the BIOS page. It actually means the board is killed if you undervolt the CPU too low in the BIOS and crash upon loading the BIOS.

Please use only XTU or ThrottleStop to do so, ThrottleStop is recommended more by most people.

redmop, Papusan and Hyp3rSoniX like this.
  5. Dokie

Dokie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi hackness, any chance you could provide the combination to the GS73VR 7RF?
    The problem i'm currently having is that my CPU Package wont go higher than C3 causing unnecessary battery drain, i suppose this would fix that?.

6. Kers

Kers Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You are not alone. Mine is GS73VR 6RF and I never figured out how to get Package C6. hackness and I think that PCIe ASPM could be the cause but the combination won't reveal the option in BIOS. Or maybe we need to set the ASPM for each PCIe port one by one.

7. hackness

Reputations:
    I did some comparison between the 6RF and the 7RF, they are different:

On the 6RF the Native ASPM is placed under Advanced > Platform Misc Configuration

And some how not revealed even with an unlock combination

But on the 7RF, the structure is closer to the 8th Gen MSI Laptops. The Native ASPM is placed under Advanced > Intel RC ACPI Settings

Both laptop are set to Auto on that item.

I think @Dokie might be able to see this option, consider the GS65 also has a very similar structure and also revealed through a unlock combination.

@Dokie Try setting the Native ASPM to Disabled and see if you are still stuck at C3.

8. Dokie

Dokie Newbie

Reputations:
    I was able to unlock the BIOS, unfortunately i couldn't find Native ASPM where you told me i might be able to find it. My BIOS version is 2.18.1263

Edit: I was able to find 'Enable ASPM' under 'Thunderbolt (TM) Configuration'. This was disabled by default

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Check under "ACPI" settings and also under "PEG PORT configuration" or "PCI Express" configuration.

10. Dokie

Dokie Newbie

Reputations:
    I disabled ASMP op every PCI lane individually. This did not work