[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No I mean do 3.9GHz for 6 cores when only running the AIDA memory bench just to see the highest result. The AIDA memory bench doesn't stress the CPU.

2. chinoquezada

chinoquezada Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Update on this issue.
    The solution was to flash the original bios: E16Q4IMS.107
    You can find it @ http://sk3tch.com/files/notebookreview/gs65_8sg/bios/E16Q4IMS.107.zip

hackness likes this.
  3. m4rios90

m4rios90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Little OT:

Do you guys know if adding GTX 1070 Core Voltage (%) will give me noticible boost on GE73?

It is currently UVed to 0.875 which is +201 on Core Clock which gave me 1810 MHz under full load.

Or are there any BIOS settings to unlock GPU TDP? I saw 1070 OCed to 2000 MHz (not sure if it wasn't fake) while mine's max is 1810 with occasionally drops to 1750 MHz in Metro Exodus.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  4. hackness

Reputations:
    It's vbios related, nothing to do with the bios, to flash the modified vbios back into the vbios chip you'll need a hardware programmer like Skypro.

If you are interested in modifying the vbios TDP check this thread out:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/mobile-pascal-tdp-tweaker-update-and-feedback-thread.806161/

5. MaverickPT

MaverickPT Newbie

Reputations:
    After following the tutorial, I managed to do almost everything, excepct disable the SGX option on the bios, since that option does not even appear on my Lenovo Legion Y530-1060 and the result were...interesting.

On performance mode, connected to the power, the TSBench gave me little to no improvement. But the interesting part is when I change to battery mode.

On battery mode I have a undervolt of -140 mV, the procressor is capped at 40%, I changed the C-states in TS to C8, but the core do not seem to chage into said parking state. Not sure if it's some program/drive that's ruining it on my laptop. Nevertheless, 8 out of the 12 threads usually park alright, with the remaining 4 doing the work.

And that's when I noticed something. With everything close, except TS, the processor does not go bellow 11W, when before following this tutorial the processor would easily go below 1 W.

Does anyone know what's going on?

6. MaverickPT

MaverickPT Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Forgot to ask. my task manager now seems to be bugged.
    It doest not change the speed from 0.79 Ghz, altough TS and AIDA still report fine

7. hackness

Reputations:
    Not sure about this, Lenovo's software could have been messing with it, about your Lenovo, did you flash a modded bios onto yours? By software flasher or hardware flasher?

And yes the performance monitor in the task manager won't report correctly, but other software can.

8. MaverickPT

MaverickPT Newbie

Reputations:
    Nope. It's the latest BIOS from the Lenovo website itself!

9. hackness

Reputations:
    Wow so Lenovo allows users to change that many options now? Even the IMON tweak and Overclocking menu can be done too?

10. MaverickPT

MaverickPT Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately no. The overclock menu is grayed out and I didn't find anything IMON, although I admit that I'm not quite sure of what I was looking for.
    The other tweaks you had in the tutorial though, I was able to change, apart from the SGX too

PS: Did you say modded BIOS? I had no idea that was a thing. Know were I can find some for my Lenovo?