[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. m4rios90

m4rios90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, so:

I did it.
    Now my CPU goes up to 3,9 GHz just like I wanted.

But there is new issue - after that my temperatures increased from 78°C - 80°C to 92°C - 95°C and thermal throttling occurs and at this point my CPU goes down to 3,7 - 3,8 GHz.

I didn't touch Watts in ThrottleStop Turbo Power Limits, just changed BIOS settings according to post #31.

Any ideas?

My last -0,160 UV tries ended with crash so I am not sure if higher undervolting is the solution.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. kill4l

kill4l Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the best option in my opinion is to do a repaste on CPU and GPU using THERMAL GRIZZLY KRYONAUT which helped me to keep the temps around 80-83 degree

hmscott likes this.
  3. m4rios90

m4rios90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, this would be the best move if I wouldn't have warranty.

I think I will just return to stock BIOS settings for now as just few games use full 8750h potencial.

3,2 GHz is not that bad overall.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For the IMON just don't place "+" on the prefix, just make sure it is "-" since you are adding a negative offset to the reported TDP.

IMON tweak doesn't brick or screw up, but the AC / DC Loadline does if you left your old UV settings on. Once AC / DC Loadline is lowered, the UV offset you can go for will be less further, like on mine if I set the AC / DC Loadline to 180 I could UV the cache to -150mV, but with AC / DC Loadline to 1, I could only UV to -40mV otherwise it'll start showing errors in benchmarks.

The advantage of setting the AC / DC loadline is to have a more stablized voltage, stablized voltage also means stablized temperature, the temperature will fluctuate less.

5. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do you mean the set multiplier box? If so, you need to set the non turbo ratio to 0, then you can set a fixed multiplier. upload_2019-9-25_12-7-1.png

6. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    upload_2019-9-25_12-10-8.png
    This will keep the cpu on whatever multiplier you set when active but will fluctuate in idle, i'm not sure if that's what you intend to do. The maximum the multiplier will set at is the whatever you have the turbo ratio limit set when 6 cores are active (for example i have 35 set for 4 cores, and 31 set for 5 and 6. So setting it manually to 35 just caps it at 31). So basically if you want it to turbo higher in applications it will do so but when gaming it wont go higher then what you set the last 2 core ratios. Hope this makes sense lol.

upload_2019-9-25_12-57-7.png

Oh, i forgot to mention a few Bios settings i've activated/deactivated. It's been pretty long since i went back in messing with things. I'll let you know when im not busy. Just another note, whatever you set the multiplier to, it will not go above that setting even if you uncheck the box. You just need to change the non turbo ratio back to 21 or whatever you desire. Minimum cache should be set at 22 for those who kept the minimum clock rate multiplier at stock, 8 if you unlocked it to idle that low, this gets rid of the "EDP Other" under ring in limit reasons.mff

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    thtvn likes this.
  7. chinoquezada

chinoquezada Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, something weird is happening on my end:

1. A few months ago I unlocked bios and did the all the changes stated on OP (both for bios and for windows/throttlestop settings)

2. then, a couple of days ago I updated BIOS to:
    vendor American Megatrends Inc.
    version E16Q4IMS.112
    date 05/16/2019
    ROM size 16384 KB

This is latest version on the msi product support page for the 2019 gs65 8se.

3. Considering it was a bios update, I believed the bios settings would reset (and they did) So I set to make the bios changes again.
    All worked except setting the CPU Flex Ratio Settings to 8. On my end, it wont budge from 20 no matter what number I try to change it to.
    And, of course, the CPU Flex Ratio Override is set to ENABLED beforehand.

Any ideas what might be my problem?

Thanks

EDIT: Just in case, I'm going to do @xLima 's bios reset procedure, will return with results

8. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mine is a GS65 8RF, I didn't have this problem but my Physic score in FS was lowered by at least 400 points when flashed to the newest bios, which contains the new microcode 0xB4 released by intel.

So I flashed back to my old bios and the problem went away, it could be the bios or the microcode, you might also benefit by downgrading the bios.

9. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I've been gone a while and just saw that everyone is OCing their ram now via Uncore offset. Since I quit using Throttlestop I thought I'd add some insight for doing it the more traditional way.

1: As long as you don't mess with turn around timings, you should never have to clear bad timings by holding the power button. Your settings will either boot or the machine will reboot itself with default timings.

2: Under the Platform Voltage Overrides menu, one can find overrides for both VCCSA and VCCIO. By default they are set to 1.05V. These can be set to 1.25V for every day use if that's what your OC needs. NOTE: these two should always stay within 0.05V of each other. It's does the same thing as adding the offset to Uncore.

Now, there are some other relevant settings that should be changed in BIOS that I will have to go back and look for, but you don't NEED to change them to get anything working.

133 vs 100: 133 is usually easier to get higher clock speeds working.

Bclk odd ratio should stay disabled

Generally, you can gain more from better secondary timings and mediocre primaries, than great primaries and garbage secondary timings. Ideally you should aim for a good balance between speed, primary and secondary timings. For months I ran at 2933 15 15 15 1.25V. Recently I switched to 3200 17 19 19 38 at 1.35V with VCCSA/IO both at 1.25V. Memtest says this is rock solid for my kit ( Hyper X Impact 32GB dual rank 2,666 15 17 17 38 Samsung b-die). I might try lowering voltages a bit but 1.35 is quite fine for every day use.

Secondaries: tfaw always seems to be 30 by default but a good kit of ram can go down to 16. TRRD_L/S must be set to 1/4 tfaw's value.

Refresh recovery gets hairy below 400 at higher speeds and won't make a huge difference. I recommend keeping it there if your sticks allow it.

DDR4 will theoretically run just fine with a refresh cycle of 65535. However, I like to keep mine in the 40-50,000 range.

Don't know what settings to try?: Keep all settings stock and raise the multiplier until it won't boot. Go back to the last good multiplier and if you're happy with that speed, lower the CAS latency by 1 until that won't boot. If not, use this simple calculation to estimate what might work: desired speed/CAS = X, where X is a number approaching, but still less than 200. (Side note: if you can get a working OC with timings above this, let us all know. So far, no combination of speed and cas will boot for me if the ratio is at or above 200, which I believe to be a limitation of the motherboard design or H370 chipset.)

Examples: You should be able to run 2666 at CL 14, 2933 CL15, 3000 CL 16, 3192/3200 CL 17, etc.

Dual rank vs Single rank: Dual rank will not clock quite as high as Single, even on the most perfectly designed 2-slot board. If you don't need 32GB, and can get a pair of quality 8GB sticks, go for single rank dimms.

That's all I've got for now. There really isn't much else to do in this BIOS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

thefatapple, hackness and 4W4K3 like this.
  10. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, I meant limited by mobo design or ram pcb. Idk why I had the chipset on my mind.

Also, Corsair sells laptop kits that go as high as 4000 CL19. Granted, the 3600-4000MHHz kits only come in 4x8 (I really want to see a 4 slot, X299 laptop), but if anyone here is wealthy and wants to experiment, please report your findings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019