[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. m4rios90

m4rios90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, so:

I did it.
    Now my CPU goes up to 3,9 GHz just like I wanted.

But there is new issue - after that my temperatures increased from 78°C - 80°C to 92°C - 95°C and thermal throttling occurs and at this point my CPU goes down to 3,7 - 3,8 GHz.

I didn't touch Watts in ThrottleStop Turbo Power Limits, just changed BIOS settings according to post #31.

Any ideas?

My last -0,160 UV tries ended with crash so I am not sure if higher undervolting is the solution.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:29 AM
  2. kill4l

kill4l Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the best option in my opinion is to do a repaste on CPU and GPU using THERMAL GRIZZLY KRYONAUT which helped me to keep the temps around 80-83 degree

hmscott likes this.
  3. m4rios90

m4rios90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, this would be the best move if I wouldn't have warranty.

I think I will just return to stock BIOS settings for now as just few games use full 8750h potencial.

3,2 GHz is not that bad overall.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 4:09 PM
  4. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For the IMON just don't place "+" on the prefix, just make sure it is "-" since you are adding a negative offset to the reported TDP.

IMON tweak doesn't brick or screw up, but the AC / DC Loadline does if you left your old UV settings on. Once AC / DC Loadline is lowered, the UV offset you can go for will be less further, like on mine if I set the AC / DC Loadline to 180 I could UV the cache to -150mV, but with AC / DC Loadline to 1, I could only UV to -40mV otherwise it'll start showing errors in benchmarks.

The advantage of setting the AC / DC loadline is to have a more stablized voltage, stablized voltage also means stablized temperature, the temperature will fluctuate less.