[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Check PM.

But please take extra care.

It is important so I repeated 3 times.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  2. xLima

xLima Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for the write-up @hackness , I added another 40 minutes to my PCMark 8 - Work Battery Consumption score.

Previous with Turboboost disabled, Max. Proc Stat 50%, EPP 255 I was getting 6h40m of battery life (WiFi ON, BT ON, Screen Brightness 0%, Volume 0%, no peripherals, KB Backlight OFF)

Now with just some of the mods you suggested: CPU Flex Ratio Settings to 8. FIVR 16,16,12,12,8,8 TurboBoost on, “Processor performance core parking min cores” to 0%. (Same presets WiFi, BT, Brightness, etc.) I have added another 40 minutes to my battery benchmark (7h20m)

*I used the following logic to calculate the total battery life, taking into account the MSI GS65 doesn't like to charge over 90%, and the benchmark runs the battery down to 20% (+/- 3%): Total Battery Life = Benchmark Duration/%Battery Consumed (This type of reasoning is obviously flawed because it assumes the workload and discharge rate is constant across percentages but it's the simplest method I found to guestimate total battery duration)
    **Also in Test 1 I started @ 100% battery, and in Test 2 (With the Hackness tweaks) I started the test off from 90%.

Maybe tonight I'll try with the Intel (R) Speed Shift Technology in the BIOS settings changed, as well as the EPP registry settings.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    hackness likes this.
  3. hackness

Reputations:
    Good to hear that! ;)

Edit:If you haven't come through this thread, check it out too:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...e-on-windows-enabling-deeper-c-states.815602/

Awesome tweak guide written by our fellow member @Che0063

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  4. xLima

xLima Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hackness likes this.
  5. hackness

Reputations:
    Well he isn't using an Anti-virus software.

But I can't achieve that as well, even with the Anti-virus and other basic programs turned off.

However, I have myself persuaded because of the fact that I have a 6 core CPU, that alone, maybe was one of the causes that made the outcome become like this.

6. xLima

xLima Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I also attempted closing most BG services and apps and could not replicate. Regardless, I was happy with my estimated battery life, now just have to test it with PCMark 8.

Would you recommend I let it turbo boost? I figured it would be better on the battery to let it boost to 1.2 GHz briefly to load a program then drop to 800 Hz vs letting it take 30 seconds to load something with boost disabled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. hackness

Reputations:
    Yes, complete time shorter the better, but with full control at our hands, just like the Speedshift concept brought to us by Intel. :D

8. AU4U

AU4U Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    TY
    Will look into this after I fix a few bugs in my GT75.
    I have NO Synaptic TP app. I have NO Windows TP settings. Among other issues.
    W110 is {Place Profanity Here} horrible, so many bugs and broken software.
    For the last 2 months since I got my notebook its been chasing one bug after another.
    Then yesterday, update v17763.1 I hoped would patch the touchpad problem .... NOPE....NO LOVE HERE.
    I miss W7, it was running sooo smoothly, everything worked.

And Microshit released a press release stating 'There will never be another release of windows again' ... So how many Service Packs have been released for W10, and yes, this is what I'm choosing to call it this.
    It would seem to me that the term 'Service Pack' denotes a 'Patched' that has been broken....

hackness likes this.
  9. kill4l

kill4l Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, thank you for your guide its really helpful, i searched the forum and the internet for the combination key to unlock the bios but I couldn't find any informations, am using Ge73vr 8rf Rgb, I will appreciate if you can share key combination with me. Thank you so much

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hackness likes this.