[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yep if you are only adjusting the core you'll find that the reported voltage will stop lowering at some point, you can fire up TS Bench and lower the voltage offset in FIVR menu to see the actual situation.

As the core will stop lowering at some point, what matters more is the cache here, even though you are putting an offset of - 300mV on the core slider, probably only the 100mV of it will work and the rest of the 200mV might be not having any affect towards the CPU voltage, but on cache its a different story.

Usually we find out the maximum undervolt by slowly decreasing the voltage, 5mV a time, until BSOD or freeze, restart and set the offset to the last non-crashing or freezing undervolt value.

The quickest way to find out is to do burn in test and have it run on max multiplier, if after 28 seconds the multiplier doesn't drop, it means the IMON tweak is working.

Power Limit is what the maximum power that the CPU is allowed to run at, usually comes with a timer, for mobile it is usually 28 seconds, once your CPU has exceeded the power limit, eventually after 28 seconds the power limit kicks in to make sure it is running at 45W, this is the main reason we needed IMON tweak to trick the CPU.

chapter 1:Usually C state is locked and cannot be changed in Windows, this chapter is just to unlock it and allow you to make changes in Windows through ThrottleStop.

Chapter 2: Usually you cannot set the mutliplier in the Turbo limit menu lower than the base multiplier of the CPU you have in a laptop, this one allow you to do so and some people use this to lower the multiplier to extend the battery life.

Chapter 3: As you have noticed that Intel CPU nowadays does have a pattern, less core active the frequency will go higher, but to have the CPU perform in the original way that it is intended to run, you will need core parking feature, but this feature isn't good for gaming, if you do 24/7 gaming then this isn't good for you, because when core parking enabled, you will see stutter in the game.

Chapter 5: Some believe that sometimes the mouse movement stutter is caused by this, this feature is usually used by enterprises, normal uses doesn't really need this feature.

Chapter 6: This one is to further extend the battery life, by force shutting down the number of cores you want.

2. hackness

Reputations:
    I've been running the RAM at 3467MHz @1.2V for 2 weeks now, seems stable.

RAM @1.2V is around 1~2C less than @1.25V on both the CPU and GPU on the GS65.

Kevin@GenTechPC and xLima like this.
  3. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Stuck on splash screen after setting tighter timing on RAM.

Just got 2nd stick of 16gb. Successfully OCed and stable. Tried to tightening timing I booted and BSoD

Tried power down and powering on while holding down power button for 60 seconds (AC plugged in)

Tried CMOS reset while unplugged (inserted pin in CMOS reset button)

Tried removing new stick of RAM

Tried removing CMOS and battery and booting.

I know this last timing worked on my OEM stick.

Not sure what else to try or perhaps I didn't follow reset steps correctly.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

4. hackness

Reputations:
    You mean it is stuck on MSI Logo and unable to progress further no matter what you do?

Can you try removing the cmos battery and leave it for 1 full hour and see if anything changes?

5. xLima

Reputations:
    Trying that now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. hackness

Reputations:
    Fingers crossed.

7. xLima

Reputations:
    Maybe this helps someone.

Steps I did that caused it.

Precursor: installed RAM and new SSD.
    Booted and reformatted the SSD all good.
    Decided to OC new RAM and use timings of OEM RAM.
    OEM RAM timing were incompatible with new RAM timings/OC
    Found stable RAM timings that allowed both unmatched sticks to run 19 20 20 49 at 3100MHz 1.25V
    Used and tested for a few hours.

Issues:

I decided to tightening timings
    18 20 20 48 @ 1.25V

Booted successfully into windows, got a intel program error and something else (a net framework update was pushed by WU prior to reboot and tightening timing) however as soon as I tried to test timings BSOD and rebooted.

Stuck on MSI LOGO unable to enter BIOS. ::This lasted for about 45 min to an hour, all the while I tried to troubleshoot::

Steps to troubleshoot.

1. Held down 60s rebooted and did the 3 reboot loops as customary, did not go past splash screen.

2. Tried 5s reset - same thing

3. Pressed EC Reset button - no progress still got the same 3 reboot MSI logo and then stuck on logo

4. Removed CMOS battery, disconnected laptop battery and removed AC for maybe 5 min - nothing

5. Removed new RAM hoping failed timing would at least allow OEM RAM to boot since this timing worked on OEM RAM - nothing

6. Swapped the OEM RAM into the other empty slot. - nothing

7. Removed new SSD, New RAM and left CMOS Battery and laptop battery unplugged (all together this was 25 minutes where cmos battery was unplugged.)

8. Laptop is now stock, all upgrades removed, CMOS and battery plugged back in and AC connected and FINALLY booted into BIOS. Date is reset.

9. LOAD OPTIMISED DEFAULT SETTINGS BEFORE PROCEEDING!!

>>>>>This maybe irrelevant but will post what I did next. <<<<<

10. Booted back into Windows just to see if I could. Then shutdown.

11.Reinstalled all upgrades back in and booted back into BIOS and LOADED OPTIMISED DEFAULT SETTINGS.

12. Rebooted back into windows, checked HWINFO to see if upgrades were detected and timings were still back to default.

11. Rebooted into BIOS, redid BIOS Tweaks (IMON Slope, Loadline Calibrations, PEG0 ASPM, SGX, CFG Lock, etc. + LAST STABLE RAM TIMING).

12. Successfully booted back into windows, double checked HWINFO and ran TM5 to test memory OC: Passed :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  8. hackness

Reputations:
    Glad it worked.

So with the CMOS Battery Unplug for 25 min it resets.

Does your AC / DC Loadline still stick after performing the above?

9. xLima

Reputations:
    Resets all of it

10. xLima

Reputations:
    Sigh, placed all the part back in and now same issue.

Will remove new NVMe drive
    @hackness you are still required to Load Optimised defaults. Or in any case it's good practice. This fixed my error

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019