[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    IMON is not voltage or current.
    There is no danger of breaking on these laptops.
    These chips all come from the same silicon.
    8086K / 8700K / 8600K, 8400, 8150, 8950HK, 8850H, 8750H ....just binned.

Putting 80W into a 8750H isn't going to do anything.
    You just have to make sure you are drawing less than maximum power supply rating (Use a Kill-a-Watt) and chips are cooled properly.
    9900K has 95W TDP for example. But I pour 230W into it and it loves it.
    TDP is just to keep power draw in design limits since laptops tend to have poor cooling.
    Exceeding 45W TDP is only going to be a problem on very low end motherboards, like with 2 phases that can only handle 20 amps each.

Video card TDP unlocking is a completely different story and FAR more complicated.

Papusan, Avé César and hackness like this.
  2. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @hackness @Falkentyne As Uncleweeb said in the throttlestop guide, (before i find your tricks in the Bios, Slope, IMON... i had yellow and red ring in the Past, Limits tab) i had to lower the Long and Short Turbo Boost Power Max. I forgot these settings, after i did the bios trick, it was 75 for Long and 90 for Short on TS at 1st install, so basics according to my pc, I changed these to 45 and 75 long time ago from Uncleweeb advice.

With the differents pics i upload before, on TS settings and in game reference with after burner... Do you advice me to come back to the Long and Short Turbo Boost Power Max 75 and 90 ? Or with the IMON Offset -31999 and Slope 50, it is dangerous ?

Thx for all your advice and help guys.

Attached Files:

• TPL.jpg
      TPL.jpg
      File size:
      233.5 KB
      Views:
  3. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, quick question I have one of the single channel rtx models (gs65 8se) with Kingston ram (OEM 1*16. 19-19-19-43-61) and I am interested in adding another stick.

Option 1:

G.skill Ripjaws 19-19-19-43 $129.00

Option 2:

Crucial Ballistic SL 16-18-18 $150.00

Now I have OCed the RAM on the Kingston to 16-18-18-44 (I wanted to see if I can make timing tighter to match the Ballistic)

So would you recommend I just buy the Ripjaws or grab the Crucial?

I don't intend on ever matching the sticks. So I won't be buying another stick in the future.

Does OC setting in BIOS apply the OC to both RAM sticks, or do I have to do each individual RAM timing if mismatching RAM?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

4. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't have any experience trying out other brand's RAM at OCing except Samsung, but from what I heard, for those who buy Ripjaws they usually just go for the 3200MHz model and not doing any OC, not sure about Ballistics though.

And yes, it is just one master setting for all RAM installed, so both RAM need to be able to support your setting, so usually it is recommended to have the same type of RAM all together.

5. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome. Yeah I am buying the 2666 versions since my stock ram is 2666.

Tbh the only reason I would be using OC options in BIOS is to match timings.

If I use the Ripjaws I won't have to do anything just pop it in and play.

If I use Ballistic I don't want to pay more for something faster only to have it down clock to match the slower Kingston OEM RAM.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

hackness likes this.
  6. hackness

Reputations:
    Yes the slowest RAM becomes the king. Your solution seems valid as far as I can tell, matching the timings.

7. gmn

gmn Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @hackness

If I don't use TS but I want maximum gaming performance what percentage should I set when plugged in? And should I uninstall TS if I don't use it? Or will it not affect these settings? (Chapter 4)

8. hackness

Reputations:
    Maximum is 0%. If you are using the XTU to cover the UV part and wanting to use "Processor energy performance preference policy" to control the behavior of the EPP, you probably don't need to run TS unless you want different profile for different situation.

9. Tootsie69

Tootsie69 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello hackness, thank you for this lovely tutorial.

I heard you are in taiwan, is there a way we can get clevo barebones there for a very good price ? shipping to europe ?

I don't have an option to contact you directly

best

10. hackness

Reputations:
    Hello, there's one reseller called CJSCOPE.

However I believe they are using desktop CPU on their model

Mainly 8700 or 9700K,

Price is about the same as in the US where the US model would be using the 9750H or 8750H.