[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can try setting the Windows EPP to 100% and the ThrottleStop's EPP to 25, try multiple sleep and check the EPP number shown in the FIVR menu. If the ThrottleStop EPP shown in the FIVR menu sticks to 25 then it works, if the EPP shown in the FIVR menu was took over by Windows and shows 255 then it means it's not guaranteed that this methods prevents Windows from messing with the EPP set by ThrottleStop. I suggest you do multiple tests under both situation that one with Speed Shift disabled in the BIOS and one with Speed Shift enabled in the BIOS.

2. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Also check this out, it's disabled by default but could be something worth while for power savings.
    duty cycling.png

3. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @hackness @Falkentyne May i ask you guys, with the bios trick, IMON Slope -31999, if i 'm not wrong it means that my PKG power max when i play a games, like in the screenshot, is 17.4 + 32 = 49.4 ? PKG Power max.jpg

4. hackness

Reputations:
    Concept is correct when under load.

5. Avé César

Reputations:
    - How and where can i find the limits of my PKG Power for the MSI GE73 8RF to knows if one day i'm near this limit, or would damage the pc ? ( I was watching the other day a BOAT video on youtube saying upon 60w, many pc could breaks...)

- Can I lower the -31999 to -21999 or -11999 without having again the throttle or EDP Ring ( If i 'm near a limit on PKG ) ?

6. hackness

Reputations:
    For Laptop i7 CPUs, as the 6 cores becomes the trend, 60W before the PL1 kicks in is easily reached nowadays, the chip itself should be alright as long you keep its temperature under controlled.

What needs to be worried is usually the power brick or the Power supply unit, if the design of the laptop including the AC power isn't really that great, you might see your screen goes dim for a few seconds then back on, which means your power brick is reaching its supplying limit. So far what I know that might have this problem is the Surface Book 2, i7 4 cores CPU plus a GTX 1060 and came with a small power brick that's only capable of delivering up to 102W, epic joke they made here, more or less a similar joke to the i9 in a mac book pro.

As for the IMON offset, you can try -21999, I think -11999 might not do the job.

Papusan and Avé César like this.
  7. Avé César

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for this Hackness. Then i will try to put -21999 and test it. I hope MSI delivers us a good power brick and hopes will keep it in a long term, fingers cross.

It just reminds me an old Bob video I saw on a Lenovo :

8. Avé César

Reputations:
    I have test with -21999 and -11999, no problem for now, no throttle or "Limits" on throttlestop, Temps are near the same while gaming. But on throttlestop main board, PKG Power max doesn't fluctuate, thought value would increase with changes... a bit confused

9. hackness

Reputations:
    What kind of changes? What multipliers are you running at?

10. Avé César

Reputations:
    I just change in Bios -31999 to -21999 and played 2 games, then return in Bios and change -21999 to -11999 and play again 2 games.

Didn't notice difference, run as usual (with -31999) so far so good for now. But i thought on the throttlestop main board, would see the "PKG power" differ. with different settings on IMON Offset in the Bios.

Here's my throttlestop parameters if you need to see. I prefer playing with core to 36 to 34 and SS EPP to 91and according to your guide, 36% for the "Processor energy performance", prefer better temp instead of high cpu and high temp. The temp here is when i play dota, not a demanding game, all is fine and smooth but on throttlestop, with the Imon Offset at -11999, the PKG power max is only 17.1 , i thought it would be higher, that's why i'm a bit confused xD.

When i play Battlefield 1, same settings on throttlestop, i got max on 2 cores 84° and average is 73°, games run smooth too, no trouble. I change the IMON Offest cause don't wanna break, or burn, one day, on a more demanding game, if the PKG Power is too excessive (if i let it to -31999 ) don't wanna damage the AC power too.
    1 .jpg 2 .jpg