[Guide] How to take full control of the i7-8750H (Advanced version)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by hackness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thx so much hackness.

On my friends MSI GE73 8RE, dragon center didn't change any stock value in the bios (maybe it happends in the past, on different notebook from MSI ).
    Don't know if he needs to reset the CMOS battery, it's still unclear.

He's waiting for thermal compund shipping, will clean it, change the paste, maybe reset the bios, we don't know yet, not sure, reinstall windows 10, a fresh install and follow Phenix guide for tweaking win 10, then undervolt with throttlestop and some commands you offer us on your guide

For my part, i didn't change value on ICCMax, still 128 on Throttlestop.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  2. Mikhailovich Liovsky

Mikhailovich Liovsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've figure out why CPU package state won't go into C8.

When I got my GS65, I completely fresh installed my OS and created my own custom power plan using the "high performance" preset as advised by a forum post I saw here (falkentyne's); this removes the slider when you click on the battery icon in the taskbar (described aptly as cancer). Just yesterday I installed MSI SCM and messed around with its profiles, and when you do that it automatically installs its own power profile which is based off the "balanced" preset (I know because the slider was back). In this state I can see the CPU package go to C8 state in Throttle stop whereas before it would only goto C3.

It must be some kind of OS setting you can't see that depends on your initial power plan preset. If anyone knows how to replicate this under the "high performance" power preset then I'm all ears as I don't want to use the balanced plan with the "cancer" sliders and the other hidden settings it brings.

hackness likes this.
  3. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's why my powerplan changed today! I hadnt connect the dots.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

4. Mikhailovich Liovsky

Mikhailovich Liovsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hackness likes this.
  5. Avé César

Reputations:
    When you wanna switch to your desired parameters, or profil on battery or plug in, do you use the power plan ( icon battery ) , the Profil in the control panel with power options (maybe you did create your own profil to avoid the slider ) or the power plan profil in throttlestop (1 to 4 profil, with the EPP corresponding to the “Processor energy performance preference policy” in % ) ?

And witch mode do you use usually when you game / or at idle.... ?

6. hackness

hackness Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I created a power plan based on high Performance plan and named it For ThrottleStop which doesn't have the slider by clicking on the battery icon, because the slider is not making the laptop performing the way I'd like to see.

My current taste is as the followings:

On plugged in mode (Game / Idle) I have the ThrottleStop set to use profile 1, which is x35 on all cores, C state set to C1, Speedshift EPP set to 25 (10% in Windows Power Option), Processor performance core parking max cores was set to 100%. I prefer not to have any of the cores shooting sky rock in temperature, that's why I have all set to x35.

On Battery mode I have the ThrottleStop set to use Profile 4, which is x15 x15 x15 x13 x13 with 2 cores set to disabled by setting the Processor performance core parking max cores (Chapter 6 on the front page) to 67%. C state set to C8, Speedshift EPP set to 25 (10% in Windows Power Option).

Both have the fan setting set as the followings:

CPU 0% 0% 50% 100% 100% 100%
    GPU 0% 0% 50% 70% 105% 105%

I have the first 2 areas set to 0% because I wanted to prolong the battery life without having to enter Fan settings to change the settings again when unplugged.

Gr4dy and JRey like this.
  7. Avé César

Reputations:
    Thx hackness. Does someone knows, why, when we create a new or custom profil / plan on the control panel, from a performance mode, the slide disappear, and from a normal mode, the slider appear ?

8. hackness

Reputations:
    I had to create a custom profile because the high performance plan has disappeared on mine for some reason, so I can't answer that for you, but I think if you choose high performance plan the slider should disappear, the slider should exist only for Balanced mode.

Forgot to mention that even on battery mode, my power plan is still using the custom profile "For ThrottleStop" created based on High Performance Plan, the one without the slider.

Avé César likes this.
  9. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Hey, thank you for these instructions. I have a recently purchased GE75 and whilst reading the official thread for that laptop I came across advice to set the AC and DC lordliness to 5.

I was wondering if there is any particular reason for my specific laptop to go for AC Loadline 5, instead of the 1 you recommended here. Im just a user so these nuances are a little over my head.

10. hackness

Reputations:
    When it's under the same cache ratio, setting Loadline to 1 will have less fluctuation in voltage than setting it to 5, less fluctuation in voltage means less fluctuation in temperature and power.