(Guide) How to safely use Windows without Anti-virus security

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by micman, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    ^QFT

Very useful guide.
    Well done.

2. ILoveMoogles

ILoveMoogles Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    After having some issues with trying other anti-viruses and issues with compatibility I have decided to go without an anti-virus.

One reason for also eliminating an anti-virus is that I do use common computer sense. I don't go to questionable sites and I use ABP and NoScript wisely (it was common sense for me as to which domains are ad domains and which ones aren't) to prevent contraction of viruses.

I do run other programs such as SuperAntiSpyware and Windows Firewall (and I would not connect to the internet directly without being behind a router).

Also I haven't had a virus in at least 7 years. (I am a moderately heavy internet user. I frequent youtube and various other websites for 5 hours average per day, usually around 10 hours.) [Yes I do other things also and I have a job.]

Now, would I recommend my friends to go the same route? Absolutely not. Most people don't really think about what they are doing in terms of internet useage until they have already clicked on links and so forth. Some do have questionable habits and do have a need for an Anti-Virus.

3. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    ^I'd recommend you consider an extension such as Web of Trust.

4. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +1
    this is one of the extensions mentioned in the cnet article under my browser extensions part of the guide. It works in all 5 major browsers. Highly recommend.

just added info:
    Tracking protection lists for IE9: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/TrackingProtectionLists/
    and updated info on sandboxie to better reflect info on the website (thanks Baserk)

5. micman

micman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just bumping this thread up with an interesting factoid for anyone still interested. After exactly 2 years of running my computers without anti-virus protection, I finally got a virus on one of them. Rather than wasting time removing it I just used it as an opportunity to try out a cool program called RT 7 Lite, which strips down the windows 7 installation and allows for some neat tweaks.

Anything I should do to update this thread or is it beating a dead horse? Your thoughts appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.