[Guide] How to overclock and change timings for any RAM on most laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by valuxin, Jun 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @G_nt
    Just use SPD browser in Thaiphoon Burner and find spd with XMP for the same memory chips or at least for the same model lineup. This would be the easiest way for you to overclock your memory.

2. dani_tx

dani_tx Newbie

Reputations:
    @valuxin if it's not too much trouble can i request a custom SPD profile for my laptop(Sandy Bridge).Trying to get from 1333 to 1600 if possible. I've tried to initiate dumb with tb2bin but it showed me "parameter error" but i managed to do it trough rweverything and Thaiphoon(i'll attach the files in case you decide to help me).Again,if it's too much trouble or you simply don't have time ,that's ok,i'll stick to what i have,and also great job man,keep it up.Thank you !!!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3QavDCqb15HNEtGOG1ZSl9wZWs (SPD DUMP)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3QavDCqb15HbC1nRzBzN25nb00/view?usp=sharing (CPU-Z screenshot)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  3. G_nt

G_nt Newbie

Reputations:
    hey @valuxin thanks so much for developing this, I had no trouble flashing the XMP profile onto my RAM. unfortunately the motherboard still didn't want to co-operate. Converting to Mini-ITX so asus motherboard which should be able to use XMP no trouble, will run at 1866 thanks to you :)

4. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just saw this now, I have got 16 GB DDR4 2133Mhz with mixed brands stock ones [Samsung] with Kingston ones [I buyed from amazon] and it works greatly together.

But... as I can see here you said there is no support for SPD 2.0 for DDR4 as you said so... I'm gonna wait then :D

I already edited the timing & speed to 2400Mhz but it was a big hassle for me really as I bricked my laptop too many times while trying to overclock it.. and reflashing the BIOS & removing CMOS ...etc... until I got the sweet spot... but now after I saw your thread... addiction of OC my laptop came back to me :D but I'm too lazzy or tired to go all over again.. like opening my laptop & disassembling ..etc... to OC more:)

It would be helpful for me to do it without all those things... just simply overclock it with simple clicks :)

I just want to OC to gain maawrrr maawwrrr paawwaaaaaa :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. devhost97

devhost97 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello @valuxin

Can you say what version of Thaiphoon Burner you use ? The newest freeware version dont have the option to save to thp file from XMP Enhancer :(

6. oile

oile Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello,
    can anybody reupload the files in download section? Thank you so much

7. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @THEBOSS619, Don't have the hardware to test XMP for DDR4 as for now. Stupid HP do not allow to use XMP on their products (even on Omen gaming series lol).

@devhost97, Updated the guide with a new way to save the .emp. Can't find the version I've been working with lol

@oile, All links work. I think the problem is on your side.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    THEBOSS619 likes this.
  8. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No problem at all :) Thank you anyway.. I will still keep watching this thread (Hoping the day will come for DDR4)

Patience is the key ;) :)

9. oile

oile Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks to valuxin I've been able to flash my 1600 Cl9 hyperx to 1866 c10 without problems!!
    Unfortunately either my ram and /or IMC can't push 2000 or 2133mhz stable within stable latencies being limited to 1.35v on Haswell. But a good result nontheless! Thank you

10. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is a really neat idea and I have a spare kit to try with, but would be greatly appreciated if someone could answer these questions.

1.) Just for fun here is some .bat code that requests admin privilege automatically, I didn't write it.
    :: Elevate (BatchGotAdmin)
    :: Launch UAC Request
    ::
    @echo off

:: BatchGotAdmin
    :-------------------------------------
    REM --> Check for permissions
    >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
    if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
    echo Requesting administrative privileges...
    goto UACPrompt
    ) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
    echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    exit /B

:gotAdmin
    if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
    pushd "%CD%"
    CD /D "%~dp0"
    :--------------------------------------

2.) the tb2bin tool has options to flash 'XMP only' or flash 'SPD'. To be clear, when you choose 'flash XMP only', you are only writing to the XMP portion of the eeprom and leaving the rest of the SPD alone, right?

3.) Your tutorial mentions to leave the memory controller voltage level to 0v in the XMP Enhancer window, but when I do [Tools -> XMP Enhancer -> Profile -> Read DRAM Controller -> channel 0] to pull up the programmed settings from my sodimm, the memory controller voltage reads 1V. Should I leave this at 1V or switch it to 0V?

Here are the defaults of my sodimm as read by thaiphoon:
    Kit is Gskill F3-2133C11-8GRSL DDR3L, uses 4Gb K4B4G0846Q-HYK0 (Q-die)
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    So I tried writing a new XMP to an 8GB stick of crucial ddr3 1600 cl11 1.35V (XMP: 1866, same latencies). When generating the XMP profile from thaiphoon I set the memory controller voltage to 0v just to be safe. After flashing the XMP, tb2bin reported success so I rebooted but nothing changed. The stick still runs at 1600 cl 11.

I'm not even sure if the XMP profile was actually written to the SPD... When reading from the SPD, it seems the XMP area is still blank. Really not sure what's going on here lol

[​IMG]

EDIT2:
    I filled in the XMP SPD bytes manually in RWEverything based on the XMP profile I generated earlier using thaiphoon, tried writing, and I got "Writing memory module SPD data: no update."
    Reading the SPD immediately after trying to write to it, RWEverything reports that nothing changed - the SPD write didn't work.

This is basically what happened earlier using tb2bin, except that tb2bin reported a successful flash when it should not have.
    It seems that the dell 7559 (bios 1.1.3) wont write to SPD on this stick... Gonna try different RAM and report back.

EDIT3:
    I tried writing a new SPD to a micron 8GB 1600CL11 stick using RWeverything and it failed. Got a different error this time but the same result - eeprom is not getting overwritten.
    [​IMG]

EDIT4:
    Tried writing new SPD to the expensive Gskill 8GB 2133 CL11 stick and it failed with the same "SPD may be protected." error as above. Either all these sticks are write protected or the dell 7559 really cannot do this.

Anyone know what the deal is? I did use RWEverything for writing instead of tb2bin, but I think tb2bin is just acting as an interface for RWEverything so there should be no real difference there?
    Kind of sad it didn't work, but I tried.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018