[Guide] How to integrate video BIOS file into the motheboard's system BIOS based on Phoenix OR how to get romless video card work

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by valuxin, Aug 22, 2013.

1. manza01

manza01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello to all,
    Hello to Valuxin!

sorry for my late reply!
    Unfortunately i bricked my notebook-bios by testing crisis recovery. Result was: absolutely no reaction, no way to power up the notebook! Valuxin tried a lot to help me, but no way as the notebook did not power up.
    My Solution was: Buy an SOIC-8 Test Clip, and do some soldering to get an spipgm interface. Locate the right bios chip (! it is NOT the chip "U23" as written in the service manual, but the chip "U22"!), desolder the chip, extract the bios out of the bios.wph (exactly the first 2048k!!!), program the chip and solder it in again.
    And really - my Notebook is alive again!!

Now i can try to find the right vbios for my hd6770m without bios chip. The videocard has a blue pcb and is maybe from an hp notebook. None of the vbiose`s from techpowerup vbios collection nor from Valuxin does the job, RadeonBiosEditor reports ".. should be 128k for a Whistler chip"

Any idea?

Many thanks!
    manza01

2. ameixoeiro

ameixoeiro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Valuxin, I was hopping you could help me with my problem. I own an Aspire 5920G with a native 9500m gs. The thing is I love to tinker with bioses and bought a used HD4570 from a Toshiba L500-13W. I did everything I had to do, extracted the vbios from the toshiba and integrated it into the sbios of my 5920G and all went smooth. Weeks later I bought a GT230M from a Toshiba A500. And here is where my problem begins. Extracted the vbios from toshiba and integrated it exactly the same way as before, except that it never gives me an signal of success. The (not so) funny thing happening with this vga card is that, when I plug in the charger, after I power it on it flashes the leds and immediatly shuts down. If I try to power it on only with battery it never shuts down, but it gives no image and the only way I can turn it down is removing the battery. Using an sbios with no GT230M vbios it gives no issue powering on or off.

This vga card is ok, because i've managed to getting to work with it in a Toshiba L500.

What about that?! Any insights?

Thanks

3. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hm... Such thing might happen, when there is some piece of dust in MXM conector or on PCIe lanes of video board. Try to clean them and reinstall. Also, show me the vbios so I can check its compatibility with your Acer.

Additionally, if nothing of these above help - try to integrate the vBIOS from GT 240m for Acer - seems like they have same GPU.

4. ameixoeiro

Reputations:
    Thanks for answering me Valuxin, but with all my efforts all I've managed to do was to fry my board. With all the gpu swapping the Winbond i/o ic got shorted. I have some other boards with this ic, so I guess I'll try to replace it and hope nothing else is damaged. With all this I decided to buy myself a little upgrade, a Toshiba L500 wich I know for sure uses all my best components.

Thanks for everything, and long live modding!! :D

Cheers!!

5. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy Newbie

Reputations:
    Any way to do this with a Dell Precision M4600 and a romless (HP) Firepro M4000? Here's a link to the Dell BIOS.

I've been trying for about 3 weeks and haven't been able to get it to work. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I couldn't get Phoenix Bios Editor to open it, so I've been trying alternative methods (MMTool, AndyP's tool, UBU, etc.). I've been able to modify and flash a BIOS, and it will boot just fine with my current card (M5950), but when I put in the M4000, I get a black screen.

I figure at this point I should probably ask the experts, so here I am.

6. ameixoeiro

Reputations:
    Maybe that is not the correct vbios for that M4000. Or, maybe it's damaged.

7. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy Newbie

Reputations:
    I got the vBIOS from this post.

I can't be sure the card isn't damaged, of course, but it looks functional enough to say that my BIOS-editing methods are a more likely suspect.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  8. mustafadmrc

mustafadmrc Newbie

Reputations:
    Two files in ROM zk6_3311.BIN and zk6_3311.WPH There is no *.ROM files acer as 5739g

nem52 likes this.
  9. termitek12

termitek12 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm thinking of upgrade my laptop broken graphic card and I have a question (to do so I need to change BIOS, without graphic card) - it's possible to get actual laptop bios with phoenix bios recovery - crisic disc? So when you start phoenix crisis procedure you actually don't overwrite the bios but instead download the current one on to USB flash stick? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  10. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Crisis recovery disk can be used for recovery only.