[Guide] How to integrate video BIOS file into the motheboard's system BIOS based on Phoenix OR how to get romless video card work

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by valuxin, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!

Now, I'm going to show you HOW to integrate ANY video BIOS rom (or another words - video option rom) into motherboard's system BIOS based on Phoenix to get romless video card work without hardware mod. Before going on I want to show what needs to make BIOS modification successful.

PREPARATIONS

So, firstly, we need the original system BIOS .ROM and .WPH files.
    [​IMG]

If you can't find the .WPH file for your motherboard and could without any problems flash the .ROM version - don't be afraid, you don't need it. Due to this, you could skip "Part B'. In my case, I can't flash the .ROM version on my laptop.

Secondly
    , we need the .ROM file for the romless video card. Usually, it should has size around of 60 kilobytes (64 in my case).
    [​IMG]

And finally, we need a software tools to modify our system BIOS like Hex Editor Neo and Phoenix BIOS Editor.
    [​IMG]

All links for the software you could find at the end of this guide.

ACTIONS

Ok. Let's open the Phoenix BIOS Editor as administrator.
    [​IMG]

Then click on File->Open and select the original BIOS .ROM file.
    [​IMG]

If you have such window appeared - don't worry, check the "Don't ask me again" and click "Yes".
    [​IMG]

Then, search for "Option ROM" folder and open it. After that, your main window should be like mine.
    [​IMG]

Part A - Phoenix BIOS Editor

There are two ways to add your video .ROM to the system BIOS.

The First Way - Navigate to the BIOS Editor installation folder and open the "Temp" folder. Find all of your oprom files here and search for the useless one by opening them with Notepad.
    [​IMG]

In my case, it's OPROM04 file. At the top, we could see the technical name of the video card. I don't have this card and have no plans to use it in future with my laptop.
    [​IMG]

Ok, we found the useless rom and should do the next things: copy the name of option rom file and replace the original name of new video BIOS option rom.
    [​IMG]

Then, go back to the BIOS Editor, click on our useless rom file, "Change", "Import" and choose the new video BIOS .ROM file.
    [​IMG]
    ==>
    [​IMG]
    ==>
    [​IMG]

That is all. All we need is to build the new system BIOS and flash it from the DOS. If you can't build it, do the next:
    Open "BIOS Configuration Parameters" window an select "Compression"
    [​IMG]

Make a double-click on any field (the second column) to check the parameter, and then - uncheck this field.
    !!!Warning!!! Before flashing, create a Crisis Disk, to recover your original BIOS in the case of your laptop death.

The Second way - It's almost the same, but you have no need to replace an option rom file with yours. Just add it with a appropriate name. In my example, it is OPROM10.ROM.
    [​IMG]

P.S. I haven't tried this way, so it may be not work properly.
    !!!Warning!!! Before flashing, create a Crisis Disk, to recover your original BIOS in the case of your laptop death.

Part B - Hex Editor Neo

This part for those, who need .WPH file to flash the BIOS. As I said earlier, I can't flash the .ROM version of the BIOS. So I need to make the .WPH file. The only difference between this two types of BIOS files is that WPH one have the additional information for the BIOS flash utility. So, we need the Hex editor to copy this information from our old WPH file to the new ROM file to convert it to new WPH file.

Ok. Let's open the old WPH and new .ROM files with the Hex Editor Neo.
    [​IMG]

Select the windows with new rom file, go to the end and you should see the first string without any information.
    [​IMG]

Next, we should search for this string in the old WPH file.
    [​IMG]

Then, select all the additional data and copy it.
    [​IMG] ==> [​IMG]

Go back to the new ROM file and paste it to the first empty string.
    [​IMG]

Finally, save it as "NEW.WPH". And note, the old and new WPH files should have the same sizes!
    [​IMG]

That is all! Thank you for reading this guide and if you have any questions - feel free to post them in the comments.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Download links:
    - Phoenix BIOS Editor & Hex Editor Neo

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Lnd27, yegg55, 1234QWERTY and 6 others like this.
  2. valuxin

Reputations:
    In this post I want to collect video BIOS rom files for most popular video cards, to help people not to waste their time on searches:thumbsup:

AMD/ATI cards:
    You could download all this roms ---> HERE

P.S. If you can't find the rom for your video card - just PM me. I would post it here in this post:thumbsup:
    P.S.S. If you have a rom for romless video card - also, just PM)

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    triturbo and juslintek like this.
  3. valuxin

Reputations:
    In this post I want to collect system BIOS files with vBIOS roms already integrated. This post help those, who do not want to risk building their own sBIOS file.

AMD/ATI mods:

P.S.
    If you have a working custom sBIOS with vBIOS mod - just PM and I'd post it in this message)

4. valuxin

Reputations:
    reserved reserved reserved reserved

5. arsen

arsen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi.
    First,Thank you for the tutorial,
    Can I use this in BIOS recovering?
    Here's my situation: my notebook was not powering up,I took it to service they told me it's a GPU issue,when removing it, and powering on laptop,the light power up for 2 sec(but no screen) and disappear again,
    I ordered a 6770m but it needs bios flashing(blue board) to work on my Aspire 7738g. But I'm afraid I won't be able to flash it with this tutorial as I won't be able to get to DOS invironment.. Is that right?
    So I thaught of adding 6770m's vbios to sbios with your tutorial but flash it with BIOS Recovery(ESC+Fn etc..)
    Is that real or I need a working GPU to flash the BIOS?

6. valuxin

Reputations:
    Of course. You could use moded BIOS like the original one - as a recovery or flashing it in DOS mod. So, there is no problem, if you doesn't have a GPU card;)

7. arsen

Reputations:
    But the problem is that I can't I boot the BIOS and enter Dos mode without GPU,or I am wrong?

8. valuxin

Reputations:
    As I sad earlier, you could easily Recover from the BIOS with mod. So, I don't see any problem in your situation)

9. arsen

Reputations:
    OK will try and leave feedback when new card arrives..
    Thank you.

10. arsen

Reputations:
    Can I use this tutorial http://www.notefix.ru/kak-vosstanovit-phoenix-bios-noutbuka-s-pomoshhyu-krizis-diska-crisis-recovery-disk and replace the file
    with the file made by your tutorial and recover bios with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.