GUIDE: How to install Windows 7 or 8 via USB on NP700Z*

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by hanime, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryhe1

bryhe1 Newbie

Reputations:
    @Dannemand You seem to have a lot of knowledge with this issue, well i attempted to clean install windows 8 to remove the bloatware and start fresh, with out knowning about the 8GB SSD i just started deleting all the partitions including the recovery (not a smart move, but i have always done this with my previous notebooks). Now i have a OEM Windows 8 64bit install disk a hard drive with no partitions and a 8GB SSD that windows 8 claims to be small to install on. i tried to install on the the tera byte but keep getting the bootloop. So i tried your post but Alternative Method #3 but it didn't let me install on boot up because it wasn't on the required on right partition table that windows 8 likes. So what do you recommend ? Also anybody else that might know whats going on please give me some feedback thanks in advance guys.

2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Bryhe1: If you can install from DVD instead of USB, you completely eliminate the boot issues with the 8GB iSSD. So that would be my first recommendation. If that fails, something else is afoul -- please see below.

If you MUST install from USB, hanime's guide in the opening post should work OK for both Win7 and Win8. When you get to the partition creation phase in Windows Setup, delete any partitions on the 8GB iSSD and create partitions on the HDD as hanime describes.

After Windows Setup has copied all files and tries to reboot, let it boot Windows Setup again and go to the Command Prompt (choose Repair or just press Shift-F10). Now follow the steps hanime describes to determine which drive is your Windows partition and which is your 350MB SYSTEM drive; use bcdboot to apply boot files to it; use DISKPART to make it Active (bootable).

(The difference between hanime's approach and mine is (A) I only create a single Windows Partition and skip the SYSTEM partition; and (B) instead of copying boot files from the iSSD (where Windows Setup mistakenly puts them) hanime uses the bcdboot command to write new boot files directly where you want them to go.)

If that still fails (including DVD install) the reason might be related to what I discussed with member El Penetrator just yesterday in this very thread: That your PC was delivered with UEFI and SecureBoot enabled in BIOS and your HDD partioned using the GPT layout (as opposed to the good old MBR layout). That is basically how Win8 PCs are delivered -- and in theory a re-install should work as well. But many more things can (and do) go wrong with UEFI/GPT.

Unfortunately UEFI installation on a GPT disk is one of those areas I only "know about" I haven't tried it myself. Partly for that reason, and partly to ensure a safer and smoother ride, I would recommend you to disable UEFI and SecureBoot in BIOS (look for Legacy or Classic or CMS mode) and convert your disk to MBR (using DISKPART from Windows Setup).

But please give hanime's guide a few more attempts first :eek:

3. hafey80

hafey80 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just have the same problem as bball when I try to boot from a CD....

but when I use bootable flash drive, I can through through the setup, but I found that the SSD is disk 0 and the HDD is disk 1?!!
    I also found that u can instead of making the partitions manually u can do the following in diskpart but after deleting all the partitions
    diskpart
    select disk 0 (if it is ur HDD)
    clean
    convert gpt"

then u go back to the setup and select the drive (u will not find any volume in there, but still u can select it)

I'm still out of luck to get my system to work, but i'm still trying :mask:

4. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @hafey: Make sure you disable Fast Boot in BIOS, that may help you boot DVD instead of USB.

Also, I am not sure why you would want to convert your HDD to GPT. If yours is a Win8-delivered PC (as I recall it is) it was already GPT when you received it. I would say converting to MBR might make things easier -- particularly if installing Win7.

Whatever partition layout you choose, make sure it is matched by your UEFI settings in BIOS: Disable SecureBoot and choose UEFI (or UEFI & CSM) if your disk is GPT; choose CSM if your disk is MBR.

You simply cannot install (or run) Windows on a GPT disk unless UEFI is enabled.

5. hafey80

hafey80 Newbie

Reputations:
    Dann: My laptop is win8 delivered, and I've read that GPT requirements for win8 is different than win7, so I deleted all the partition to make the disk suitable for window 7 and to start fresh.
    Till now I managed to finish the installation of win7 (in CSM on a gpt partition) but the system didn't boot, I still need to try the tricks related to iSSD and moving the system files, etc.
    I am really enjoying the new experience and learning these new things about UEFI and GPT, However I would appreciate if help me with these questions:

1-I am under the impression that with UEFI I will have a better performance in regards to start up & hibernation. am I right?
    2- If I want to my laptop to be working in UEFI, should I do the installation while I'm in the UEFI? or can I finish the installation in CSM and switch to UEFI afterwards?
    3- Do you why when I'm in UEFI (secure boot disabled) I can't boot from USB flash drive, CD drives also hangs?
    Thanks

6. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @hafey: Even if you managed to complete the Setup part of installation, it will never boot a GPT disk in CSM mode (as far as I know). It will boot the BIOS part, then read the so-called Protective MBR at the beginning of the GPT drive. This MBR exists to make the entire drive look like a big unknown partition to old programs, so that they don't inadvertently mess with the disk.

UEFI/GPT is more modern and allows for bigger disks and bigger partitions. It also should allow for faster boot times -- although many users reporting superfast bootup are simply seeing the clever Fast Startup feature in Win8, which does far more to reduce boot times than UEFI/GPT by simply resuming a small hibernation file instead or re-loading the entire OS. Still UEFI/GPT should speed up boot time some.

But to the best of my knowledge, you really MUST have UEFI enabled when you install and run on a GPT disk. For one thing, Setup probably doesn't create an EFI (ESP) partition in CSM mode, which is the actual boot code in UEFI. But I am surprised Setup even completed copying files for you, as it shouldn't have been able to write files to a GPT disk in CSM mode.

Read these Microsoft articles for more info on UEFI/GPT:

Understanding Disk Partitions
    Windows and GPT FAQ

If I were you, I would start over, certainly choosing CSM/MBR for Win7 and maybe (just maybe) UEFI/GPT for Win8. In either case, would I use the following steps:

1) Set the appropriate BIOS setting.

2) Boot Windows 7/8 Setup and do the DISKPART CLEAN and CONVERT commands you discovered.

3) Re-boot Windows Setup again (so that BIOS sees the converted disk) this time for the actual install. If you run Setup from USB, you need to do the System File copying (or BCDBOOT) described in the guides of this thread. Do note that those guides were written for MBR disks. If you use a GPT disk, you have to account for the extra partitions. If you run Setup from DVD (highly recommended) you it should all be automatic.

Let us know how it goes :)

Edit: Re your question 3: I too found it VERY difficult to boot CD/DVD while in UEFI mode, took many retries, to the point I thought my DVD drive was defect. I believe it's the same problem again: You MUST have a GPT disk in order to reliably boot anything in UEFI mode. Mine is an older model, though. I'll be curious to hear your results.

7. mreyna16

mreyna16 Newbie

Reputations:
    I need help...

I followed the instructions and after trial and error was able to install windows 8 just fin on my series 5 ultra... but unfortunately the iso i had downloaded was not windows 8 pro like it said and decided to re-download the correct iso and re install windows...

that being said, i dont know how i messed up but i am able to load windows 8 on my computer BUT unfortunately i need the usb stick to be plugged in in order for windows to boot... i know i need to move the boot files to the proper partition but other than i dont know how, i also cant delete or format the partition i made following the installation, i will post pictures so you guys can see what i mean

bcdedit.png partitions.png no delete.png

as you can see, when i use the command "bcdedit" you can see where my windows boot manager is installed and you can see in the second picture my partitions and in the third you can see that i dont have the option to delete the partition

any help? please

8. Cris_PIM

Cris_PIM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, all! =)

Thank you for all the wonderful info in this thread. I read everything and I am preparing to install Win7 in my Samsung 700Z5C-S03PT.
    I have made a USB Admin Tool and already created a backup of the recovery partition, so even if something goes wrong, I should be fine...

But I wanted to ask: what is the recommended way to format and install Win7, using a DVD and without messing anything up and/or deleting the recovery partition?
    I am guessing that the disk file format conversion and the UEFI settings (switching it OFF) also apply, right?
    Should I follow Method #3 or is there a better way?

Best regards! ;)

9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @Chris: If you can wait a few hours longer (till evening US Eastern time) I'll find some links to relevant installation guides for you. Good thing that you have that Recovery backup :)

@mreyna: It looks like we overlooked your post there, sorry about that. Before I dig into it, let me know if it's still relevant or you moved on.

10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @Cris_PIM: The guides on the first page of this thread mostly deal with a workaround required ONLY on models with ExpressCache (Some Series 7 and Series 5) and ONLY if you MUST install from a USB stick (as opposed to from DVD). Since you are looking to install from DVD it will be much simpler, and you can largely forget about the guides on the first page.

There are dozens of other Win7 install guides posted in various threads here, but since we are in the right thread for it, let me just write a new one instead of locating a bunch of links:

Win7 Clean Install on Win7/8-delivered Samsung PCs

Win7-delivered model: BIOS mode (non-UEFI) with MBR disk

Note: If your PC was delivered with Win8, do NOT follow the steps in this guide before reading the section further down and following the conversion steps there.

If your PC was delivered with Win7, that means your HDD is partitioned using good old MBR, and UEFI is already disabled in your BIOS (assuming you or others didn't change it). This makes installation easy:

1) Download and save a copy of Samsung SW Update from here. And download the latest Driver Only WiFi driver from Intel Download Center. The latest WiFi driver as of August 22, 2013 is version 16.1.1. The file should be called Wireless_x.x.x_Ds64.exe for Win7 (x.x.x being the version number). Keep looking till you find that file. (This guide is for Win7, but if you're installing Win8, you don't need to download WiFi drivers, as they're built-in).

Just save these two files for later (SW Update and the WiFi driver). Don't install them at this point. If your HDD (or SSD) has a separate Data partition, you can save the files there. Otherwise save them on a USB stick or a memory card. Do NOT save them on the current Windows drive, as it will be wiped during this installation.

2) Reboot to BIOS settings (F2) and disable Fast Boot / Fast BIOS (if you have that, you can re-enable it afterwards) and enable Legacy USB Boot (if you have that, you can re-disable it afterwards).

3) Still in BIOS, make sure UEFI is disabled (assuming you're installing on an MBR disk, otherwise read Win8 section below).

4) Boot Windows Setup DVD: Press F10 to choose boot device (or Esc depending on your model).

If your model does NOT have ExpressCache, you can also install from a USB stick. In that case it is best to install from a USB2 port (black). If you MUST install from a USB3 port (blue), check this post and this post.

If your model DOES have ExpressCache and you still MUST install from USB, you need to use the steps outlined on the first page of this thread to avoid a boot problem. Either hanime's guide in the opening post or one of the alternative guides in the second post.

5) When you get to the Partition screen in Windows Setup, format your current Windows partition and leave the others alone (unless you have backed up your Recovery and know how to re-create it, as described in this post).

If your model has ExpressCache and you see a small drive (8-24GB) just leave it alone. The ExpressCache software will automatically create (or reuse) its partition on it.

If you are installing on an SSD with an Intel Rapid Start Hibernation partition (Series 9) also leave that partition alone.

If you want to split your Windows partition into separate Windows and Data partitions (highly recommend if you do not already have a separate Data partition) you can delete the current Windows partition and create a new and smaller one. 60GB should be plenty for most users (mine is 48GB). The Data partition can be added in Windows Disk Management after completed installation.

If you want, you can delete the small 100MB SYSTEM partition (so-called MSR), but Setup will probably create a new one and use as boot partition (flagged Active). If you want to avoid a SYSTEM (MSR) partition altogether (to have fewer partitions) create your partitions with other tools BEFORE loading Windows Setup; OR create them using DISKPART in Window Setup; OR create them here on the Partition screen in Setup, then go back to the Partition screen when Setup announces that it will create additional partitions.

If you leave the current SYSTEM partition in place, it will remain as your boot partition, and Setup will simply add the new Windows installation to its boot menu. This is a very safe choice to avoid any potential boot problems. If you end up with two entries on the Boot menu, you can easily delete one of them after installation has completed.

6) Choose your Windows partition as destination and let Setup do its thing. You shouldn't have any boot problems if you're installing from DVD and/of if you left the original SYSTEM partition in place. When prompted, disable Windows Update (just temporarily until Samsung updates are finished).

7) After all is done and Windows is running, install the WiFi driver you saved in step (1) --Wireless_x.x.x_Ds64.exe for Win7. It just spins an icon for awhile and doesn't display any confirmation screen. Now get on the network. (This guide is for Win7, but Win8 comes with built-in WiFi drivers that work great already.)

8) Install the SW Update utility you saved in step (1) and let it run. It may update itself to a newer version. Press the big blue One-click button and let it install the following drivers and essential items:

- Chipset
    - Intel Rapid Storage
    - USB3
    - Touchpad
    - Sound
    - Graphics
    - LAN
    - Multi Memory Card
    - TPM Host SW
    - Windows Critical Updates
    - Windows common patches

The drivers offered by SW Update may vary slightly, depending on your model. It may not have TPM or it may not need Memory Card drivers.

Some models have separate graphics drivers for the Intel GPU (HD3000/4000) and a discrete GPU (Nvidia or AMD); other models have only a single graphics driver, either because they have no discrete GPU or because a single driver package covers both GPUs.

The Windows updates & patches provide a base level of security patching early in your installation.

Close SW Update after this and let it reboot. Notice that you only had to reboot once, whereas if you installed these drivers manually, you would usually have to reboot many times.

9) I would NOT let SW Update install the following:

- Intel PROSet Wireless: Instead use the latest Driver Only package from Intel Download Center which you downloaded in Step 1. (Win8 comes with built-in WiFi drivers that work great already.) Check the WiFi remedies thread if you have WiFi performance or stability issues.

- Intel High-Speed Bluetooth: Windows has basic Bluetooth built-in, although the Samsung driver does add some features (and bloat).

- Intel Management Engine (Samsung HECI / Intel ME): The basic driver for this device is provided with Windows Update in Win7 (and built into Win8). The Samsung package includes other bloat which you will probably never need.

- Easy Settings: Depending on your model, SW Update may want to install an older version 1.x of Easy Settings. Instead, use the Find Model feature in SW Update to locate Win8 drivers for your model, then save the Settings package for Win8 using the Export function. Inside that package you will find a Win7 folder with Easy Settings 2.x -- which is far better than 1.x. As of Aug 22, 2013 version 2.0.0.55 seems to be the latest, and can be found under model NP880Z5E-X03CA. If you're installing Win8, install Settings instead of Easy Settings. Check the Easy Settings thread for more details.

- ExpressCache (only for models which have this feature): I would install this only after having finished installing everything and setting up Windows. As long as you are still installing and setting up, ExpressCache will only slow down the disk and wear your iSSD with unnecessary writing. Users with SSD as their main drive (instead of HDD) should NOT install ExpressCache at all. Note that (as with Easy Settings) you may be able to find a newer version of ExpressCache under Win8 drivers in SW Update, instead of the one automatically offered for Win7. As of Aug 22, 2013 the latest version seems to be 1.0.94. Check the ExpressCache thread for tips and troubleshooting; but do NOT use the MacDisk partitioning steps in the opening post, as they can cause serious problems in some situations. Recent versions of ExpressCache automatically create their own cache partitions as needed.

10) Now re-enable and run Windows Update.

11) After rebooting let the Windows updates churn for awhile, maybe even reboot again -- some updates need multiple reboots. Then run Windows Disk Cleanup and use Clean up system files (requires Admin account). Note that Disk Cleanup can take a VERY LONG time when cleaning Windows Update or Service Pack files. Do NOT under any circumstance interrupt this process as it can mess up your installation. Also run CCleaner (Google it) as it cleans out some temp files that Disk Cleanup doesn't.

12) Defrag the drive. If you have ExpressCache, you can run BOOTOPT.BAT in the ExpressCache programs folder (C:\Program Files\Condusiv Technologies\ExpressCache) as the last step -- but only after defragging.

13) Done.

For my opinion on other Samsung provided software (including which ones might be useful) check the post linked here.

For discussion of extreme trimming and lean installation and reducing latencies, check the thread linked here.

Win8-delivered model: UEFI mode with GPT disk

If your PC was factory-delivered with Win8, that means it is setup to boot in UEFI mode (as opposed to the good old BIOS mode) and your disk is partitioned using GPT layout (as opposed to the good old MBR layout). Although Win7 theoretically supports UEFI and GPT, it has created problems for many users -- some of them serious.

You may have a smoother ride if you switch to legacy BIOS mode and convert your disk to MBR. But unfortunately that will lose all its content, including the Recovery Partitions. This also means you will no longer have a means of installing Win8, unless you have other Win8 install media.

If you have a Recovery Backup and know how to re-create your disk (preferably a Bootable Factory Image backup as described in this post) that may be acceptable to you.

Note: This is a serious step you are about to take, which will completely wipe your disk, including its recovery partitions, and which will change the mode in which it boots and runs.

You can convert the disk to MBR by opening a Command Prompt in Windows Setup (Shift-F10) then type the following commands:

DISKPART (to start the Disk Partition manager)
    LIST DISK (to show all your disks. Notice which one is your HDD)
    SELECT DISK 0 (assuming 0 was the number of your HDD)
    DETAIL DISK (just to verify that you selected the right disk)
    CLEAN (to wipe the disk)
    CONVERT MBR (to convert the disk from GPT to MBR)
    EXIT (to close DISKPART)
    EXIT (to close Command Prompt)

After this, exit Windows Setup and reboot into BIOS. In the BOOT menu, disable SecureBoot and under OS Mode Selection choose CSM OS. Save these settings.

Now you can install Windows 7 using the steps above, except you have an empty disk. On the Partition screen in step (5) just create a Windows partition of whatever size you choose (I'd say 60GB is plenty, my own is 48GB). Setup will create a small so-called MSR partition (labelled SYSTEM) in front which will be the boot partition. See step (5) above for tricks to avoid that if it bothers you.

After Windows is installed, you can create a Data partition using the remaining disk space.

Note: If you ever need to restore your recovery, you must convert your disk back to GPT and change OS Mode Selection in BIOS back to UEFI OS. After that, boot the USB stick with your bootable Factory Image backup and let it re-image your entire drive.

Please let me know of any errors you notice, or hiccups you run into, when using this guide :)

Edit 8/22/2013:

* Numerous clarifications and updates throughout guide
    * Added links to other relevant posts throughout guide

Edit 7/4/2013:

* Added warning for Win8 model owners to read Win8 section before proceeding.
    * Updated WiFi driver info to version 15.8.0
    * Find Easy Settings 2.0.0.55 under model NP880Z5E-X03CA
    * Find ExpressCache 1.0.94 under Win8 drivers
    * Added final cleanup, defrag and BOOTOPT steps

Edit 5/14/2013: Added/changed the following (thanks to apa64):

* Installing from USB2 vs USB3
    * ExpressCache and installing from USB
    * iRST partition on Series 9
    * Separate Win & Data partitions
    * Deleting/avoiding SYSTEM (MSR) partition
    * Look under NP700Z3A model to find Easy Settings 2.x.

apa64, Obyboby and slados1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.