GUIDE: How to install Windows 7 or 8 via USB on NP700Z*

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by hanime, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lapingultah

lapingultah Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm on my way to pick up my NP900X3C later today and I'll be changing its SSD as soon as possible (it's preloaded with W8 etc but as far as I know they all still come with the same crappy SanDisk as always) so I'll be needing a fresh install of Windows as well. I'm not going with Windows 8 and reading back and forth here I'm quite sure I know how to get Windows 7 up and running, but just to check: When I swap in a brand new SSD with no partitions whatsoever on it, do I need to 1) disable fast BIOS (what's it for anyway?) and why, 2) disable secure boot (what's that as well?) and why, 3) switch between UEFI and legacy BIOS setting before and after installation and - if so - why?

edit: Also, regarding 1 & 2, are those something I can or should enable once I get the OS set up?

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Fast BIOS option skips checking for other bootable devices when the computer initially boots so it cuts a few seconds off the boot time. It also prevents the computer being accidentally / maliciously booted off an external device. It's worthwhile having Fast BIOS enabled unless you need to boot off an external device.

I'll be interested to know if your X3C does have the U100. if so, when was it manufactured (the date is on the bottom of the computer)? Reports of people receiving the U100 have substantially reduced during this year.

John

3. lapingultah

Reputations:
    Fast BIOS figured out then, thanks! Any idea about 2 & 3? And yes, I'm stuck with U100 (manufactured Nov. 2012) for now... Until I get my hands on a 525, that is :)

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1) Fast Boot: As John explained, to speed up boot and protect from unintentionally booting an external device that might contain malware.

2) SecureBoot: More protection against malware and rootkits, by only allowing a trusted OS to be booted. If you clean install Win8 (but stay in UEFI/GPT mode), you will have to disable SecureBoot while you install (in order to boot the install media), then you can re-enable SecureBoot afterwards. SecureBoot requires an UEFI/GPT OS.

3) UEFI provides a partly software based alternative to the good old Legacy BIOS. Its most visible benefits are slightly faster boot time and support for GPT partitioned disks (which don't have the limitation of 4 primary partitions of old fashioned MBR disks). UEFI and GPT are related: GPT disks MUST be booted with an UEFI enabled BIOS and OS. Windows determines at time of installation whether to install in UEFI or Legacy mode, and cannot be changed afterwards.

Read more in the following Microsoft articles:

Secure Boot Overview
    Understanding Disk Partitions
    Windows and GPT FAQ

Users considering downgrading to Win7 should read this post before deciding. The downgrade involves converting their HDD/SSD from GPT to MBR (for smoothest Win7 operation) which will wipe the disk. In fact, I recommend two backups in those situations, for the reasons described in this post.

Users who will be swapping in another SSD don't have that concern, as long as they keep their original HDD/SSD safe.

Those wanting to clone their factory Win8 installation onto the new SSD should follow the steps in this post, which will also give them a nice, self-contained, bootable Recovery backup in the process.

Those simply wanting to perform a clean install of Win7 (on an existing or new disk) can use this Win7 install guide. It also includes steps for converting the GPT disk to MBR and changing BIOS settings on models delivered with Win8.

Do NOT use the guides on the first page of this thread unless you install from USB on a model with ExpressCache.

I deliberately included answers beyond your questions and your situation, in case others might see this post.

lapingultah and KcKepz like this.
  5. lapingultah

Reputations:
    Whoa, that was... comprehensive at least :D Thanks! However, just to double check:

1) Fast BIOS - Enable and disable however seen fit just to allow boot device selection if required, doesn't affect anything else.
    2) Secure Boot - Not supported with Windows 7, has to stay disabled or the OS will not boot if re-enabled afterwards.
    3) UEFI vs Legacy - If set as UEFI (as it should be whenever supported), a newly installed Windows 7 will function properly as long as it's not switched to Legacy after installing.

Assuming those are correct I believe I'm on a right track :)

edit: The scenario above is meant for a clean Windows 7 install on a new, empty SSD where there are no previous partitions or data to save.

6. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know, it was kind of a mouthful. But I answer individual questions like these several times a week in different threads (sometimes several times a day). Occasionally I just decide to post a more general response, in the naive hope that it will help more people than just the one who asked the question :eek:

I am struggling a bit to understand your follow up question, but let me try:

1) For normal operation, leave Fast BIOS enabled, since so it will just boot straight from the HDD/SSD instead of spending time looking for other boot device. When you DO want to boot another device, you can either press F10 at boot time (Esc on some models) or you can change Boot Priority in BIOS. But Fast BIOS must still be disabled in order for it to even see other boot devices.

2) In theory, SecureBoot can be used with both Win7 and Win8 (as far as I know). But only on UEFI/GPT installations (see below). And SecureBoot must be disabled while installing -- otherwise it won't boot your install media. After completed installation, SecureBoot can be re-enabled -- again, assuming it's an UEFI/GPT installation and UEFI is enabled in BIOS.

3) In theory, Win7 and Win8 both support UEFI/GPT installations: In order to happen, UEFI must be enabled before loading Windows Setup, and installation must be to a GPT drive. However, Samsung laptops have been known to struggle with Win7 and UEFI, so we generally recommend switching to Legacy BIOS/MBR before installing Win7. Again, that install guide I linked covers all that.

In your situation, clean installing Win7 onto a blank SSD, I recommend leaving the SSD as MBR (or convert it to MBR if needed), disable SecureBoot and UEFI in BIOS (OS Mode Selection=CSM OS) and use the install guide I linked. But you will not be able to subsequently enable SecureBoot on such an installation.

7. lapingultah

Reputations:
    Great, thanks! I'll live without Secure Boot, but regarding #3 now I'm wondering how the BIOS default settings are with older X3Cs shipped with Windows 7. I mean does Samsung see the UEFI stable / reliable enough to have it set on by default.

8. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The older X3Cs shipped with Windows 7 didn't have UEFI enabled. I think you will find that the Windows 8 versions also have a different BIOS so there are more changes than could be achieved through a normal BIOS update. (The Win 7 X4C uses BIOS P**AAC while the Win 8 X4C has BIOS P**ABK and, I think, the X3C uses the same).

The thread here describes some of the headaches caused by the change to UEFI. that thread has gone quiet so it seems like Samsung have fixed the underlying issues.

John

9. Gageinater

Gageinater Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "[*]Now you want to copy the system reserved files from the temporary iSSD's partition over to the 350MB partition. Type in bcdboot d:\windows /s c:. You should get a "Boot files successfully created" prompt if successful.

Code:
    X:\Sources> [B]bcdboot d:\windows /s c:[/B] (make sure [B]d[/B] and [B]c[/B] drives matches YOURS)
    "

Everytime i attempt to use bcdboot i get "Failure attempting to copy boot files". Is there anything i can do to force it to do so?
    Thanks!
    - Gageinater

10. fearbrain

fearbrain Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!

I need help to fix my Samsung Chronos 7 NP700Z3C-S02PT. I didn't find any solution that work for me (I read about 4 different threads here).

The problem starts when I installed Windows 8.1 upgrade through Windows Store (I didn't know about these problems).

Initial status before start upgrade to Windows 8.1:
    - I replaced HDD with SSD and used HDD on a caddy;
    - On SSD I only have 2 partitions (system partition and a normal NTFS with Windows), cloned from HDD;
    - On HDD I don't have anything (only storage) BUT I have a backup done with Paragon Backup & Recovery. On this backup, the Windows partition is wiped but all others are intact.

After the first reboot of Windows 8.1 upgrade installation, the system entered in bootloop with bluescreen. The post logo was from Samsung but the next was from Windows (and not from Samsung like before). The error was ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.
    I have a new folder Windows.old (with old system, I presume) and a Windows folder.

Then I tried to restore HDD from backup but after that, the F4 key doesn't work anymore (I already read about it :( ).

I tried to install Windows from DVD but I get the same bluescreen. I tried again with SSD (after wipe Windows partition) and get bluescreen.

Now, the problem was worse: I get ALWAYS the recovery screen (blue too), even if I remove all disks and I can't boot from any other device.
    I think this problem is related to iSSD.
    The error is:
    The aplication or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contained errors:
    File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
    Error code: 0xc0000225

I disabled Secure boot on BIOS, selected "UEFI and CSM OS" (tried others too) and for every order I choose on boot order (device priority), none takes effect and SATA HDD goes always to first, even if I disconnected the drive or disabled devices (with SHIFT+1).
    I tried to follow Alternative Method #2 to fix this but the system doesn't boot from nothing. I already disconnect the battery (with switch in a tiny hole) and removed CMOS battery, but the system always tried to boot that way.

Is it iSSD problem? Any hints to solve this mess?

Thank you all, any help will be much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.