[Guide] How to control fans on Dell Laptops under Windows

Discussion in 'Dell' started by valuxin, May 27, 2017.

?

Does this solution work for you?

1. Yep :)

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Nope T_T

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Scared to try :c

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Fix_My_Laptop

Fix_My_Laptop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Erm, doesn't I8KFanGui not work for you guys, no? I haven't tried the Dell Fan Utility as yet but have used I8KFanGui for a while and seems to work a treat :oops:

2. ArazelEternal

ArazelEternal Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. Sid Roy

Sid Roy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does it really work? I am going to try this one was thinking about such thing as the fan sometimes make a lot of noise there must be something to control it.
    Thanks, Buddy! Will try this one!

4. ralba

ralba Newbie

Reputations:
    One thing that bother me is that fans only goes 100% on my previous 7567 when it throttled! so I was playing, temps were increasing, it reaches 84°C the fan goes from 70-80% to 100% but CPU slows from 3.4ghz to 2ghz! and temperature drops to mid 70s, I'll try once I get a new 7577 to see if I can leave it 100% so temperatures won't increase at the point of throttling.

Maleko48 likes this.
  5. lqthai

lqthai Newbie

Reputations:
    Noted! I will try your software since my fan has some issue recently..

6. vineetpratik01

vineetpratik01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does this work on dell 7577 ?

Maleko48 likes this.
  7. fanlessfan

fanlessfan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just signed up here to thank valuxin! This has fixed my one but major issue with my XPS 9550, and about 2000 bucks of money as I was just about to give up and buy an HP Precision x360 where the fans can be controlled for.

This solution works perfectly, I disable the fan with this piece (8Kutils did not work on my Windows, got a BSOD each time running it), and use Speedfan to control the fan instead. That gives me a fanless experience when working normally, just a bit of a fan when gaming lightly and the full blast in heavy gaming. But for 90% of my usage, the XPS is now dead silent (I also did a repaste which helps keeping the temperatures in the 50-60 degree range without fans blowing).

So big thank you, and one kind request: Any chance you could write a command line version of that? I am right now having the software run automatically after each logon via task scheduler, but I have to click manually on "disable" and then close the software (keeping running it leads to some audio issues, but once it is closed, all is perfect again). Hence a command line option which simply loads the software, disables the EC, and then closes the software again would be great.

THANK YOU! Brilliant work.

Cheers
    A happy fanlessfan

8. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @fanlessfan

Nice to see happy people here:)

Yeah, it would be nice to have CMD implementation, but it needs time and knowledge to make this wish come true. I can't do it right now, but there are all sources on github. I hope some will do this work for us :)

Maleko48 and Papusan like this.
  9. fanlessfan

fanlessfan Newbie

Reputations:
    Fair enough :) I am not that deep into compiling stuff / programming, so I hope for an angel to help out sooner or later, and until then I am happily doing the 2 mouseclicks manually after each logon, and enjoy the silence afterwards :)

10. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You could always automate it with AutoHotKey in the meantime.