[GUIDE] How to change your Dell MediaDirect button's functionality

Discussion in 'Dell' started by BatBoy, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. discovery

discovery Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @mtbrat

:D :D I have heard that Media Direct button could write the MBR if it doesn't find its partition. Any confirmation?

2. Crazyal

Crazyal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does not work on my Dell Studio 1537, Although it could just be my laptop as that button has never worked since day one. When touched it lights up but does nothing.

3. crayonyes

crayonyes Custom Title! WooHoooo !!

Reputations:
    Nice guide :D
    anyone knows how to modify wifi catcher switch functionality?
    or is it cannot be done?

Thanks

4. elixir1018

elixir1018 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmmm did the .zip file on post 1 get deleted? Couldn't find the key for import :( if you still got it let me get it please, I still can't get the application path thing to work

5. DaveGT

DaveGT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I recently did a fresh Win7 install with no MediaDirect as never use it. I came across this thread and thought it useful to add functionality to my useless home button. At first I followed the instructions and it did not work, however I found another thread which explains a bit better. So for anyone still having issues, this is how I got it working:

First Install Quickset for the reg keys, then find the path to the software you wish to map. In my case it was Turn Off LCD located in Program Files in a folder of the same name. Now it's time to edit the registry.

Important: This document involves modifying the Windows registry. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

1. Click on Start, and in the Start Search field type “regedit.exe”, and then press Enter.
    2. Provide consent or the appropriate credentials to User Account Control if prompted.
    3. In the navigation pane, navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MobilePC\HotStartButtons.
    4. Right-click on HotStartButtons, click on New, and then click on Key.
    5. Name the new key “0” (without the quotes).
    6. Right-click on the “0” key, click on New, and then click on “String Value”.
    7. Name the new string value (REG_SZ) to ApplicationPath.
    8. Double-click on the ApplicationPath string value and set its value to your program path, in my case: "C:\Program Files\Turn Off LCD\Turn Off LCD.exe".

Repeat the above steps for ControlSet002 and ControlSet003 (if your machine has these hives loaded). The information you enter in ControlSet001 should automatically be placed in CurrentControlSet, therefore you will not need to check there.

Once you’ve added the information, restart your computer and try using the Media Direct button to ensure that these steps have been successful. This should work for both Windows Vista and Windows 7, and I have also been told it will work for Windows XP when the Dell QuickSet application is installed.

[​IMG]

Now my home button has a purpose! :D

Note credit for the detailed instructions goes to Nighthawk64 of Neowin.net forums.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  6. acgiannopo

acgiannopo Newbie

Reputations:
    I've allready tried in both Vista and 7 (both 32bit). It seems, Media Direct doesn't have to be installed in order to change the "home" key functionality. I did change the control set 001 and Current control set (even though it was already changed by 001) to start winamp. And it worked. Great change... Thank you.

7. RichardT

RichardT Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can anyone tell me of they've got this working on the studio 1555,I want to power off the screen when not in use but can find the pathname file..

8. acgiannopo

acgiannopo Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you install Quick Set? It might be needed. On the other hand, you could just try and make in your own these registry keys. Try it out and let us know.

9. hankaaron57

hankaaron57 Go BIG or go HOME

Reputations:
    How about reassigning a key on the keyboard to do this? I'd like to do this with my m17x. I never use the 'end' button.

10. MikeT1990

MikeT1990 Newbie

Reputations:
    What happens when you press the DirectMedia button when the computer is off? Does it do anything at all or just boot to Windows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.