[GUIDE] - Blind-Flashing AMD 7970M modded vBIOS for Clevo P1xxHM Laptops

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by jaybee83, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Furmark Burn-in Score: 1903 points
    18790 frames, 20 FPS, 103 degrees celsius
    FPS: min: 15, max: 28, avg: 20

Clocks:
    GPU core: 850, memory: 1200
    Drivers: 13-1

2. tbert03

tbert03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That seems a bit high. I ran Furmark for 30 mins and the GPU plateaued at 78C. I applied IC7, the foil tape mod, and elevated the back of the notebook slightly.

3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    ouch, 103C is definitely waaaay too high. with a 25% OC, ICD7, foil tape mod and the back of my machine slightly raised i get like 81C after 20min. of furmark. re-check ur paste job, make sure the heatsink screws are tight, clean out ur heatsink fins and vents of dust, apply some aluminum adhesive foil on the miniscule gaps between the fan casing and the heatsink fins and make sure to slightly raise the back of your laptop (i myself are using a pair of plastic bottlecaps, works wonders! :p )

cheers

4. Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will do! I'm seeing weird issues with Far Cry 3 where it runs fine at about 50-60 FPS then throttles back and drops to about 15-18 FPS every once in a while..

Have any of you seen this? Also does anyone have a vBIOS editor?

5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    well that makes sense, once ur gpu reaches such high temps it probably starts throttling to cool down a bit before ramping up to its usual clocks. i would take care of the steps mentioned above first before continuing to play games, seriously. ure not doing ur gpu a favor by stressing it further!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

6. bn880

bn880 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, just wanted to log it in here (haven't read the thread page to page) that this method is also a great tool for getting a P1x0EM 7970m card working in a Dell Alienware m15x (not Area 51) which also does not have an IGP. I just sold my 7970m from the P170EM and the guy couldn't get it running for many hours due to black screen and tried everything. Then finally he used the blindflash method and flashed a Dell VBIOS to the card, and voila. I guess same result would come with HM VBIOS :)

So thanks Jaybee83 for documenting this so well here. Now I guess you could add a note that it can be useful for m15x (not M15x Area 51)

(Edit: darn can't give you any more rep until i spread some, but I wont forget)

7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    haha well aint that something!? glad to hear that this guide can even help users outside the clevo community :p will update the OP with ur post here :) thanks for the heads-up!

cheers

8. brockwv11

brockwv11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I have a P150HM and I just bought a 7970m upgrade for it. Problem is I already sold my 6990m. I am reading all this about updating the vbios. Am I in trouble for selling my old one before I updated? can I still update by putting in the new 7970m first?

9. tbert03

tbert03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I would assume the blind part of blind-flashing means it can be done without using a screen. You just have to be very careful with what you type since you won't be able to see anything.

Are you positive you even need to flash? A lot cards come pre-flashed if the seller knows it's going into a HM notebook.

10. brockwv11

brockwv11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes. I see now that the seller has something that says 'I recommend that you upgrade your bios to 14'. whatever that means... but I guess ill find out when I get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.