GU501GM Clean Windows install?

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by zoglog, May 25, 2018.

1. zoglog

zoglog Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah you can.

3. zoglog

zoglog Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do you know which of the utilities are necessary for the notebook? I assume the drivers will mostly be detected and installed by Windows 10

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Pretty much, only thing you need to install is probably the sound driver rest is optional.

5. jsarver

jsarver Newbie

Reputations:
    When I had my Best Buy version it really didn’t come with any bloat. I felt no need to clean install

6. zoglog

zoglog Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I did anyway since I was changing SSD. I just hope Asus adds a driver page for this model. We can't even get the Bios without using the auto updater so the files DO exist.

7. Clintlgm

Clintlgm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center/ register your notebook and your drivers should be there.
    My Guess is you also had a eSupport folder on the root of your C:\ This folder had everything that was installed on your notebook.

8. zoglog

zoglog Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's silly the GU501 isn't even on the list of models so I can't even register it.

9. Clintlgm

Reputations:
    Generally, Asus BIOS open on boot up using F2 or Delete key, you do have to be quick since these notebooks are booting so fast.

The other issue is you probably haven't turned off fast startup in windows, So you're Hybrid Sleeping rather than shutting down. Still, you should be able to catch the BIOS using Restart but start spamming the F2 or Delete key real quick.

Once you get into the BIOS you should turn off fast boot, you don't need it for anything. Same with windows you don't need fast startup (Hybrid Sleep) your SSD will boot cold very fast. Both of those setting are for notebooks that are running Spinner hard drives.

If you didn't back up the eSupport folder before clean installing that's on you. Somone should upload the eSupport Folder for you it's quite large though.

Personally what I did was installed my new 960 Por M2 NVME and booted up with MR Restore USB, Cloned the original 961 256GB to the 960 Pro. Shut down and removed the original 256GB M.2 SSD and put it up for future use like if I sell this notebook or have to send it in for RMA.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  10. Clintlgm

Reputations:
    I would contact Asus if your notebook won't allow you to register it? something differently wrong going on there. You need to sort it out for warranty if nothing else

Also if you haven't found the ROG forum here is a link you'll find more user there https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?218-GX-GM-GU-Series-Gaming-Notebooks

Once you get on that forum PM cl-albert he is an Asus employee [Customer Loyalty Rep for that forum] and he will help you get registered

Last edited: May 31, 2018