GTX 980M / 970M Maxwell (Un)official news

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by HSN21, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nvidia just did reveal GTX 980M / 970M Maxwell
    With ton of new features, most of them are Maxwell Exclusives too

[​IMG]

Perform better unplugged versus previous cards
    [​IMG]

Better Battery usage
    [​IMG]

Few laptops announced with the new GPUS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Stuff besides the insane performance/watt and how much better it's on battery vs previous cards

HDMI 2:0 4K 60HZ + displayport 1.3
    NEW AA method that is better and use less power
    much better bandwidth management (192bit maxwell is about identical to 256bit kepler now)
    Some stuff about being optimized for Directx12
    Enhanced for VR if its your thing (less latency)
    Direct3D 11.3
    HEVC (H.265) hardware encoding
    Enhanced shadowplay recording, can now record at 1440p60 and 4Kp60 at bitrates up to 130Mbps, as opposed to the 1080p60 @ 50Mbps limit for their Kepler cards.

New enhanced Supersampling method with extra filters video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSUSYaa6C9s#t=92
    This method is superior to the previous downsample/supersample methods read here to learn why/how Dynamic Super Resolution Improves Your Games With 4K-Quality Graphics On HD Monitors | GeForce

Not a tiny improvement its a generation jump features wise

Update : Multiple laptops were update for preorder on various websites in multiple countries, they were brought down after i and others reported them here, Nvidia is WATCHING lol, Anyway we did dig deepers and according to the very same websites official orders pages will go up October 7 Shipping at OCT 11 is 100% legit now (it was previously a rumor) so if you want a 970m/980m laptop oct 7-11 is the date.

Prema, Cloudfire, Mr Najsman and 8 others like this.
  2. Firebat246

Firebat246 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome news!!! Pricing? Release date for the mobile cards?

3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    It's funny how a 680M on battery gets 35fps in LoL when i can get 120+ fps in CS:GO on battery with TWO 780Ms... >_>...

That being said, I like the idea of better battery life.

4. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    780M had a tiny improvement not like this one though, plus 2x780m vs 1 680m its obvious it would be better :p
    More about laptops is coming (the event is still going, will last a whole day 24hours)

5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    The point they're making is that battery power = too little to game on. Which is true. But if my battery can handle 2 x 780M + mobile i7, there is NO WAY that you'd get 35fps in league of legends on a 680M which draws less power.

6. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The issue is not if your battery can power it or not because they can but they have bios/software limition and not optimized for it, there are laptops with 40watt gpu that still throttle to hell on battery, people get around that with tools and such etc , but with maxwell nvidia was able to increase performance a lot on battery while using much less battery consumption somehow than the very same laptops that was getting throttled.

You are getting much more frames and using less battery, even if you get around battery throttle with tools you will not get +30% more battery but instead battery will die faster unlike maxwell, it's very impressive for real portable gaming

7. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did they announce whether/when the aorus x3 was going to be refreshed with a (presumably) 970M?

8. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope but it's pretty much given that it will, Rumor is laptops will ship 970M/980M OCT 11
    gigabyte p34v3 getting 970m and p35 getting 980m is confirmed too

9. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I don't game on battery (I never do) and am already running with a 870m (x3+), is there anything to get me really excited about for an upgrade to a 970m, apart from the chips running a bit cooler?

10. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Basically 970m got about 40% more performance over 870m while being much cooler plus ton of extra features i already listed above, depending on how far you can overclock it the gap is likely to be higher when overclocked

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sasuke256 and Takaezo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.