GTX 980m 90W power limit (Lenovo Y900)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by PAtr0n11, Sep 2, 2020.

1. PAtr0n11

PAtr0n11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

I have a Lenovo Y900 (with soldered BGA GTX980m), i've done with flashing modded BIOS to it, but I'm not really satisfied.

Using Nvidia inspector, i tried to increase core freq, +200mhz (1126Mhz goes up to 1326 without any problem), and using power slider to 140%.
    Using CapFrameX for monitoring values, load Witcher 3 which game uses more intense CPU load.
    The result is:
    On the game loading screens i had the setted up 1326Mhz of Vcore stabile , but when the game loaded, its dropped between 1050 and 1250Mhz (avg 1100), never goes up to 1326Mhz, meanwhile GPU power always caps at 85-90W in that time even though a 140% power value is setted.
    Of course i7 6820HK average load was 60-70% capping and keeping on 3700Mhz, which is very good.
    The CPU and GPU temperatures never went above 72-75 °C.

Tried Heaven benchmark also, same problem.
    If i tried add more voltage to vcore (+50mV), the Core freq values goes even worse (950-1050Mhz), GPU power also caps on 85-90W.

Anything i tried to, GTX980m never uses of GPU power more than 85-90W.

It think, and It seems to be, the GPU cannot uses more power to achieve higher clock speed, that i setted up.
    I tried to lower the vcore as much as i can, i was hoping for better results, but nvidia inspector cannot allows too much.
    I read on the internet, some of gtx980m users pushed out the GPU power limit over on 90W.

- Maybe my onboard system BIOS forbiding/prevent the GTX980m to consume more than 90W of power? My power brick is 230W version, that couldn't be a problem.

- There is anyone, who have gtx980m (in any manufacturer's laptop), and crosses the 85-90W of power consume when GPU is on full load?

Any help might be useful.

Thanks!

2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How did you get and flash a modded bios? Typically flashing a modded vbios is difficult on BGA GPU systems.

Your 980m has 4 core power phases, which is more than most mxm boards with 3. I can't tell the current rating of the mosfets, but I would think you are good for between 120W and 160W.

I'm not sure how you modded the bios, but MaxwellBiosTweaker would allow you to raise the power limit to anything you want. It only takes a vbios image only though, so you need to extract the vbios from your bios, and reintegrate it.

3. PAtr0n11

PAtr0n11 Newbie

Reputations:

I get this BIOS from Techpowerup forums, from @Klem, he found a stock Y900 Vbios file on the net, and he did it to me. He wrote that he unlocked everything that he could. The flashing procedure wasn't difficult, NVflash has done with it.

I've already opened this file with MaxwellBios Tweaker, but i don't get that much to it. That i see at the "power table" many settings have "1.000.000" value, which means (if i correct) 1000W. So i think, i can't do anything with this.

If you agreed with help, i pleasure to send you my Vbios to check values in MaxwellBios tweaker, maybe you can see unusual things.

4. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mobile vbios have a lot of fields in the power tab set to infinity, which on desktop cards corresponds to power from each pci-e power cable.

Sure if you attach it I can take a look.

5. PAtr0n11

PAtr0n11 Newbie

Reputations:
    I think i found the solution finally....

in the power tab many fields has a lowered def and max value than 1.000.000 (355.000, 650.000, etc...) I set all fields like this:
    Min: 100.000
    Def: 1.000.000
    Max: 1.400.000

I'm very happy now, GPU power goes up to 120W in 3D mark, I've got ~11400 graphics points at 1325/2800Mhz, GPU max temp never went above 65°C, and the GPU frequenz can't drop, capping at 1325Mhz.

Witcher 3 on ultra quality (except Hairworks), Avg 61fps. Comparison to stock clock speeds (1060/2500, and to 90W power limit), avg fps was: 49

I can say, this GPU is still a beast, i dont know where is its limit, i try to find, but in this condition also very good.

Thanks for your help, i hope this topic might be useful to others, who have the same problem. :)