Gtx 980m 4gbvram vs Gtx 980m 8gb vram

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by TastefulTech, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    8gb is useless for these cards to begin with. I am receiving an 8gb version though because of a system swap. But I dont expect all that videomemory to be used.

2. Scrapple Joe

Scrapple Joe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i ordered an outlet 15 R2 with a 980m w/ 4gb.... it showed up and has 8gb, so I am very happy.

3. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Pointless is a strong word, but yes, even on a 4k monitor playing games in max settings...the 4gb is sufficient. So far.... ...until future games come out that will actually utilize a lot of vram. ..but by that time, it'd be time for a new laptop anyway with a 100000gb vram Pascal.

I game at 4k in max settings and have been closely monitoring the vram usage....the highest I've seen it go is ~70%...

Powered by: Quad Core Exynos + 6820HK

4. TastefulTech

TastefulTech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the extra 4g of vram wont help with rendering times/photoshop work/video playback in adobe after effects? i know there is an option to set the vram amount so it must help somewhat.

5. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Indeed, however it's not anything dramatic to justify the cost unless it's only a few hundred at most.

Powered by: Quad Core Exynos + 6820HK

6. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    speed does matter bro
    fury x with 4 gb vram will always smash r9 390/x eventho they double the vram
    ah i forgot to add overclocking 8 gb vram will much harder than 4 gb vram
    making 1 ghz boost effective on 4 g vram is easier than 8gb

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  7. ChrisB99

ChrisB99 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That is not actually true. You can get the 6GB GTX970M with one of the SKUs of the MSI Ghost Pro and Im pretty sure Ive seen the higher rams on both GPUs on other brands too

8. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's still not an official card.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I doubt you will get an answer on this gaming-focused forum - not a single relevant response so far, as you can see. I would ask at some Adobe forums.

10. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    Hope this helps....

I've ran a few games FPS, Racing etc...varies games on 4K MAX SETTINGS on my other 17R3 w/ 980M (4GB vram) and here are the results....

Question to ask yourself: "Do you really want to game at 4K with only getting >20-24fps? An extra 4GB of vram isn't going to help you....."

Solution: "If you really want to game at 4K and achieve higher frame rates, you'll need to SLI on a previous gen AW laptop or get a laptop with a desktop 980 GPU. Period. Or an Amp of course...which is what I'd opt for...."

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT THING TO KEEP IN MIND:

"You will run out of horsepower before being able to utilize the extra vram with these graphically intense games. Therefore, if you don't mind gaming at 20-25fps on 4K with knowing that even 4GB is enough, then more power to you. If you're like the majority who can't stand anything below 60fps, then the 980M 4GB is more than enough and practical over having an extra 4GB that you'd never really use, "practically," in games unless it's for another app that can actually benefit from it. Even then...the difference would be minute. This doesn't mean that you also have to stick to gaming at 1080p. I've found to really like 2560x1440 as it gives me the best of both worlds of high fps that of 1080p and the quality jump in that of 4K.....it's a sweet spot of a resolution for gaming IMO. "

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.