GTX 970 v.s. 980 v.s. SLI 970

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by joegeek, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaptopNut

LaptopNut Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

The only problem I had with Windows 8.1 was the interface, everything else was fine for me and
    When does Windows 8.1 use 10-15% CPU, during idle?

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Odd.. my windows 8.1 sits around 4-8% when I'm running 4 monitors with multiple browsers open, windows explorer, and multiple IM clients. I honestly don't see why windows 8 gets all the hate it does, yes you have to install start is back, but after that it performs nearly identical to windows 7 in every way I use it, except its faster.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Not at idle. At the top end. If you do some physics benchmarks and compare them to each other it's very evident. 3dmark11 is a perfect example.

4. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
  5. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    970 only made sense if you bought it close to launch, so at least you got some utility out of it before this gimped 3.5GB sorry excuse of a GPU became obsolete within the year. No point getting the 970 now, unless you have very specific space/heat constraints.

6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Well from the first of your links it's pretty clear that W8 has a negative impact compared to W7 in CPU based tasks.
    Your second link is measuring boot times which is hardly a measure of CPU performance.
    I'll try and dig up mine or Mr Fox's comparisons when I have time. But honestly, if you haven't discovered it for yourself already I have to ask 'do you really care?'

7. n=1

n=1 YEAH SCIENCE!

Reputations:
    Don't compare Win7 and 8 boot times. Win8 boots to desktop faster, but half the services aren't loaded, so Win8 "cheats" basically.

8. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    But there's only 1 item on the list that is 10% and let me be honest... I don't use AMD. I'll be honest, my CPU rarely goes over 70% usage. It never did with Windows 7 or Windows 8, it your allegations probably wouldn't effect me anyways. But lets see some actual proof please.

9. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I dug up some of my older 3d Mark 11 benchmarks. Have a look at the Physics score and you can do the maths. Both runs were at 4.5Ghz on the exact same system.

Windows 7 - Physics 11,548

[​IMG]

Windows 8 - Physics 10,083

[​IMG]

Ignore the overall score and the GPU. Different GPU's were used. Physics is what we're looking at here.
    Have a read through the m18 benchmark threads. It's littered with examples of W7 spanking W8 in CPU performance.

10. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Synthetic benchmarks tend to favor Windows 7, but in real-world gaming, Windows 8 comes out on top (one of the games that Windows 7 performed better in the tests I linked was Battlefield 4, but most other sources say that Windows 8 actually performs 3-6% better in that game as well).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.