GTX 970 v.s. 980 v.s. SLI 970

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by joegeek, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Eh...I feel like you could drive 1440p with a 970 and get by but...if you want 60 FPS @Max settings on most games at that res (especially stuff like Shadow of Mordor or modded Skyrim) you're gonna want dual 970s or a 980.

@OP Anyways, I recommend that you wait for AMDs offerings.

EDIT: Whoops, I think I just necroed a dead thread.

2. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    well....

I would like to point out that to properly drive 2560x1440 resolution, 2x 970 or 2 x980 are required, if you want to really max out every game settings. (at least if get >60hz monitor)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  3. Brooke75

Brooke75 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That isn't the point, any modern game that will fill up you're ram over 3.5gb will cause stuttering esp in sli.

"The GTX 970 is a 3.5gb card. It will perform horribly once 3.5gb of Vram is used and is a deal breaker to many high resolution enthusiasts.

However, if you don't run into the Vram cap (1080p, not a AAA fan), then the card is a very strong performer. Extremely well optimized games like Battlefield 4 will run like butter, but I don't see this card holding its value with texture modded games such as Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto, etc.

Overall, I think the 970 still makes sense for 1080p 144hz users and casual 1440p gamers. As for it being an enthusiast class GPU.. well, I guess it will depend on the game. Since you can't see what future games will bring, I wouldn't pick this card up if I were looking for longevity above 1080p. "

4. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's about a worthless upgrade. Either use W8 or W7 in their form trying to go back to W7 from W8 you should've stayed with W7 instead.

5. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Where is did you get such information to make the claim here?

And how did you test this to know this part?

So did you test this already on those games or are you posting what someone else said?

This factors people budget what they can do now and later there will be more updated GPU of which by then they would sold their old GPU and bought new one so your longevity is short sightness here.

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    ^Get out from under that rock. The GTX 970 VRAM issue has been beaten to death.

7. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    You would know.. you kill the horse around here. ;)

8. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Yeah, PETA's got me on speed dial

[​IMG]

9. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I feel like it's something to be considered, especially since OP is going to be doing resolutions above 1080p and is considering SLI. There's also the issue of 3.5 GB (+ a very slow 500 MB if you want to get technical) not being very future proof.

Windows 8 has been shown to offer performance increases in some games, as well as being a more more modern OS with more features then Windows 7. It's not a 'worthless upgrade'. Please do not spread misinformation. OP should definitely get Windows 8 and so should the vast majority of people if given the choice between the two.

10. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Windows 8 is a worthless upgrade. Nothing misinformation about that. What are these features worth having? Who enjoys having 10-15% on their CPU gobbled up for no good reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.