GTX 970 / GTX 980M in M17x R2

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by lastshady, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lastshady

lastshady Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's bold to claim those platforms before they are tested. Also they are likely not in stock yet.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Eurocom is also claming 980m will work with the m17 r2. I wonder if they've actually tested this.

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I have almost no doubts about it working (there is always a slim chance of incompatibility of course), but would it SLi, this is the question :)

5. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This has been bothering me also. Stating Alienware before anyone has tried it and Dell do not sell it (yet) is very bold. Hope they have a good returns policy?

Maybe it has been tested since the cards will have been in the hands of the OEM's for some months now but a lot of the 970/980m sellers are taking pre-orders with no actual stock!

6. lastshady

lastshady Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    stil no 970m/980m tested in m17x r2?

7. MickyD1234

Reputations:
    No chance so far. Latest info is that you can get an AW to boot as long as you use UEFI in the bios AND disable compatibility mode (and of course use win 8) The R2 does not have any UEFI support so unless someone rewrites the vbios code to support standard POST you are SOL.

This has to have been an active decision by NV. Every previous card (and the desktop 9xx cards) support legacy POST :mad:

8. NqGeo

NqGeo Newbie

Reputations:

I looked into upgrade M17xR3 to 980m, went so far as to purchase, after about a month was told by retailer that unable to do so as it requires vBIOS update from Dell. Unlikely that they'll be too enthusiastic to release anything for a while. I would guess that rules out the R2 as well in the right now. In the longer future, who knows, either Dell will release vBIOS or some smart bugger will.

Eurocom is who I tried to purchase upgrade for R3 from, they in the end couldn't supply due to vBIOS. Ask specific questions if you look to purchase. Don't get me wrong, they're a good retailer, money back or alternate upgrade offered immediately, but I just didn't ask the right questions.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well it may be worth a try as other brand's models without uefi have managed to run the card.

10. MickyD1234

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.