GTX 960M now? Or wait for Pascal 1060M?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ravedous, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravedous

Ravedous Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol that's like heavier than my pc... Jk

2. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I never really saw the big deal in carrying around a big machine... I lugged my M17xR1 around with me and that thing is heavy... I still have it... If the performance is important to you then carrying it around shouldn't be a big deal either. If you want something light, purchase a tablet or a surface book and keep the gaming at home.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Ravedous

Reputations:
    I tried carrying a 2.5kg object (960M laptop weight) and its light, tried with a 3.5kg object (965/970M laptop weight) and its kinda fine, not too heavy.

4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Yup it will be fine.. I've been carrying around 3.5kg laptops for last 6 years and it's honestly fine... Get the Asus, the 970M will be pretty future proof and you can always OC in the Asus with it's good cooling.. Just a bit of a pain to repaste the components though... if ever needed..

5. Ravedous

Reputations:
    Do you think that the GTX 1060M will be as powerful as the 970M? Ive noticed a similar pattern over the past several years, the X60M is around the same as the last gen X70M interms of power am I right?

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    That's a reasonable assumption. But this time I think we can assume that the 1060M might fit in somewhere between the 970M and 980M - two reasons, as I've already mentioned:

1. Nvidia skipped one manufacturing node (20 nm), which means a so-called large improvement in efficiency.
    2. The 1060M may contain the GP106 chip instead of the GP107, which means larger core/shader/ROP/TMU count, which translates to sheer better performance.
    But then again, the 860M could OC to 870M stock levels.

7. Ravedous

Reputations:
    Which of the laptops do you guys think have the best keyboard layout? And I've heard that the build quality of the 960M laptop is not that great for an ROG laptop when compared to the 965M and the 970M laptops which are far more superior in build quality.

8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    The G751 will have the best build quality and keyboard layout.. I have played with one briefly and it was really well built, with more metal than my G73JH and keyboard was much better than any Clevo one.. Remember the G751JT is the high end in ROG series while the 960M is more like mid range (GL series)..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

9. Xeonorth

Xeonorth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the ASUS G751. Keyboard layout is really good... except the Steam button.

10. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    What the hell is this button? Open Steam on your laptop?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.