GTX 960M now? Or wait for Pascal 1060M?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ravedous, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurik

Hurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If end of 2016 or beginning of 2017 is too late for you, you can wait until July-August and get something from the Red team. So far, only RX 480M was officially announced. But in regard to your needs, I would say it is already good enough with performance close to 965M but with only 35W TDP (!). This thing can be easily put even in a convertible and other ultra-thin notebooks, so another of your needs - mobility, is also take into account. Also note that the card's performance may significantly increase over time with better drivers.

2. Ravedous

Ravedous Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I said launch window not launch day, why are you so aggressive it's not you who's buying the laptop it's me.

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Well we know GP104 exists and likely will be the same basis for mobile 1070 and 1080 as desktop. No GP106 or other silicon seen in the wild yet that I've found. My feeling is they still need to work out power/cooling performance for the mid range chips.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Actually, it'd make even more sense to compare GT 750M -> GTX 960M (GK107 to GM107) and GTX 760M to GTX 965M (GK106 to GM206). In both cases, the jump was well and truly nearly 100%.

Now, the speculation's that the GTX 1060M will be GP106 (thank goodness), and we'll be jumping from GM107 to GP106 with respect to the xx60M series - it might be even possible that the 1060M might perform more than twice as well as the 960M - that'd be incredible. But then again, Nvidia is known to disappoint... So, we shall see.

Kevin likes this.
  5. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 1060M is worth the wait. Don't buy the 960M now.

Peace out!

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Well-said. It's even more worth the wait when having the GTX 860M.

7. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We're all speculating here; that's what threads like this are for. If everybody knew the exact date on which the exact laptop they want we'll be released, there'd be no need to talk about it. That said, what I said above has been the case in every laptop update that ever was: some manufacturers are faster than others and they make various tradeoffs. Thus, it's pretty likely to be the case.
    Read what I actually said. Nvidia has released (not just announced, they're in people's hands right now) the desktop GPUs. AMD has announced and described its mobile GPUs (though they haven't actually released anything yet).

tribaljet and TBoneSan like this.
  8. Ravedous

Ravedous Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the launch window of the pascal mobile gpu's, do you guys think the gtx 1060M will be available or will it just be 1080M and 1070M for a few months?

ryanev84 likes this.
  9. ryanev84

ryanev84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1070m 1080m

10. ananas

ananas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I never said launch day either, reread my message, then reread your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.