GTX 960M now? Or wait for Pascal 1060M?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ravedous, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Next year. They're always late to the party.

2. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    To me, GTX 760M -> GTX 960M is the most relevant transition to study when building expectations. That jump was over 60%.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  3. ngotiendat

ngotiendat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you should wait
    I ****ing need a new laptop now but I'm still holding my trigger for Mobile Pascal even though I'm dying because of the waiting time xD

4. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There's a spread. The GPUs have to some extent been announced already: Nvidia is selling the desktop versions and AMD has announced, named and partially described the laptop one. The first laptops will be available for the back-to-school season -- AMD has explicitly said this and Nvidia will almost certainly follow suit. Of course, if you are looking for a specific manufacturer, you may have to wait longer as not all of them will have laptops out -- some will not come out until the holiday season.

5. Ravedous

Ravedous Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All I care about is the graphics card and not the manufacturer, no matter what laptop it is that is launching in the launch window im getting it. Though most likely the first manufacturer could be Sager and I don't really care since all I hear is good reviews about them so why not? As long as the price of the laptop with 1060M is around $1000, and if I extend my budget, price of the laptop with 1070M is around $1500 I'm completely happy.

6. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, it's not the manufacturer as such, but different manufacturers make different design choices. There are laptops in which the internals are great, but the display is mediocre or ones where some component you usually don't even think about (e.g. the wireless card) is lousy and difficult to change because they've whitelisted it in the BIOS. Furthermore, every laptop must make a tradeoffs between size, weight and thinness and power, cooling and noise. It might be that the laptops initially available are not very good for one reason or another -- though there's usually at least a few models which are decent.

7. ananas

ananas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Those are all speculations. Why are you speculating so much? Are you working for Nvidia or any of those companies and have access to a currently confidential information? One should always prepare for the worst, and in this case the worst (and in my opinion quite likely) scenario is we won't see major brands with 10XX inside until 2017.

Oh and btw, nobody announced anything yet. The Nvidia announcement was about the desktop gpu's, not mobile gpu's. Check your facts please.

So if the first laptop that has that gpu is 50cm thick and weighs 10kg you'll still buy it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  8. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    No mobile Pascal until 2017 isn't happening.

Notebookcheck already reported, that an MSI rep flat out told them that the new Nvidia GPUs would be in their laptops by October.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    That doesn't mean their full lineup. High end first, followed by mid-range 1040, 1050, 1060.

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Well, that went topsy-turvy in 2014, didn't it? The first Maxwell GPUs for notebooks were the GTX 850M and 860M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.