GTX 960M now? Or wait for Pascal 1060M?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ravedous, Jun 15, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravedous

Ravedous Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello! It is my first time posting here and sorry for any mistakes. So i already have a GTX 980 equipped PC and wanted a secondary device which is the laptop for when i occasionally am on the go. I decided on the GTX 960M because it's cheap and enough to play games at high fps at low settings. Should I buy a laptop that has the GTX 960M now or wait for the Pascal gpu's to launch for the extra fps and future proofness. And is there an estimate of when the Pascal gpu's will launch in the following months? Thanks!

2. Mr Najsman

Mr Najsman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cost might be an issue, new laptops with 1060M will most likely cost more than what the ones with 960M can be had for today. Are you at your upper limit?

Otherwise I'd say wait if you don't need one now. Estimates for Pascal laptops are generally September/October (not confirmed).

Edit: And welcome to NBR :hi:

katalin_2003 likes this.
  3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Depends on your budget and needs.

I'd strongly urge you to wait. Even if you were to purchase and resell (which is an option if you're desperate) you'd be losing a few hundred dollars due to depreciation as soon as the 1060M is released. We are less than 90 days away from the launch of mobile Pascal. We will start seeing benchmarks and whatnot by the end of July. August is the anticipated launch period.

Laptops will be for sale in September. ;) The 1060M will be approximately 40% better than the 960M - maybe more - and will cost the same.

TBoneSan and TomJGX like this.
  4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Agreed, better to hold out.. I'd personally expect the 1060M laptops to be at least be 50% better but let's see... Price wise, I would expect a bump of around $100 compared to a similarly specced 960M laptop but you never know.. Depends on how cheap AMD gaming laptops are.. We might actually get a few more with the new Polaris chips being so power efficient...

5. sasuke256

sasuke256 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    wait and see ! 1060M will explode the 960M

6. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think we might see some laptops in August. Typically, late summer is the time for students heading off to college to buy laptops and September is cutting it rather close for that. AMD has said that mobile Polaris will be out by the back-to-school season so I suspect Pascal will follow suit.

Also, why do you think that it will be approximately 40% better? Based on the process improvements and results released so far, I would have guessed it would be more than that.

7. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The second and third weeks of August are the expected launch date for mobile Pascal. By early September, they should be shipping to customers.

Low end mobile cards have never improved more than 50%. I think 40% is a fair guess, but it may be as much as 50%, or perhaps more. It will depend greatly on the application, too. 50% give or take 10% is what I think. But it should be much more efficient!

8. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We've never had a two-node die shrink before though. There's room there to lower the power consumption and increase performance at the same time.

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Wait for the 1060M (or even the 1065/1070M) - you'll not regret it. The 960M uses the GM107 chip, which is first-gen, mid-range Maxwell, and is more than two years old already. Don't waste your money on dated technology.

10. ryanev84

ryanev84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    should i sell my ge 62 2qe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.