gtx 780m SLI in alienware 18 parallel to gtx Titan pc ?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Kamzan, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Really? Where? You flash a modded vBIOS the same way you do a stock vBIOS if or when Dell/Alienware release one. Are they just not following instructions?

The only bricking I have noticed is people tweaking the BIOS (not vBIOS) experimenting with different settings in an effort to get their CPU to run at advertised speeds because of the messed up stock BIOS. And, that is happening because of how the BIOS was designed with everything locked down rather than it being an inherently dangerous thing to do.

2. BlackjackCZ

BlackjackCZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't heard of anyone bricking their AW 18 after the mod. I downloaded svl7's vbios mod a few months ago and there are no issues whatsoever. I guess if you didn't follow the instructions you could brick your system. The instructions are so simple it Is not even funny.

3. Alkaline

Alkaline Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just saw a youtube of a i7-4770 using the titan, score: 9340, yeah thats about 1300 more than my i7-4900 SLI 780M so no I don't think its faster than a titan despite the specs.

Also this was 3D mark Fire Strike

4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Not really sure how you go about getting your info, but it's wrong. How do I know? Because I currently own both setups with extreme cpus in both. And It's safe to say that you are currently wrong. Sorry. Sli is faster when it comes to 3dmark11 performance and 3dmark firestrike.
    Here is a link to that proof...:). You are only looking at the GPU score only.
    Result

Side Note:
    If you own an AW18.....Then you can forget it. You will loose at pretty much everything....

5. Alkaline

Reputations:
  6. Alkaline

Reputations:
    Whatever man, here are my results:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,Alienware 01W2J2

This is on a i7-4900QM so you tell me how exactly am I lying? Yes is an AW 18

7. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Ok..seems to be some confusion here.
    1: Never said you were lien about anything.
    2: If you are thinking that a single 780m is equivalent to a single titan..then this is wrong. If not, disregard.
    3: There is only one AW18 that can keep up with most of the M18XR1/R2's. And that is the one Brother Fox has.
    4: There are way to many people complaining about the AW18. And for good reason. No Support on fixing stuff that is needed to make the machine run right. Sorry.
    5: The AW18 will never get off the ground with a factory vbios, just not a reality at this point. (This has to do with dell)
    6: A factory run with our modded vbios will yield far better results. So much so that you would need a dual PSU setup to get more than you paid for. (AW18 can not benefit from this for what ever reason. We tried - Still a work in progress though)
    7: your scores match pretty much every single stock AW18 out of the box no modded setup. So don't feel alone.

Hope this is a little more explanatory...:)

Mr. Fox and bumbo2 like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:

Alienware M18xR2
    [​IMG]
    Alienware 18
    [​IMG]

Alienware M18xR2
    [​IMG]
    Alienware 18
    [​IMG]
    Part of the difference is attributable to Haswell not being a strong overclocker and part is attributable to the Alienware 18 not having power-handling capabilities like the M18x does. You cannot overclock it more than this or the system shuts turns itself off (not a thermal shutdown). As Brother John mentioned, it has limitations wherein it does not realize any benefit from the dual AC adapter mod. The mod is completely functional, but it turns itself off at a given point that is roughly the same as the maximum power output provided by a single 330W AC adapter.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
    johnksss and bumbo2 like this.
  9. Alkaline

Reputations:
    Thank you, I'm now very happy that I don't have to deal with this clown show of a laptop known as alienware 18 ;)
    Boxed up and shipped it out this morning and couldn't be happier.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    A single GTX 780M can achieve performance similar to a single desktop GTX 680 or 7970. You can see how things stack up with the ranking shown below.
    View attachment 107851

1nstance likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.