gtx 780m SLI in alienware 18 parallel to gtx Titan pc ?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Kamzan, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Simply hitting high clock speeds doesn't always translate into great results. It's definitely a requirement, but Cuda cores are a big deal as well.
    GT 750M is a good example of higher clock speeds alone not delivering better results.

R9 290X vs 780 Ti Comparison

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti Benchmarks|MaximumPC

It should be interesting to see what the next NVIDIA mobile flagship is going to look like.

Processor
    Name
    Cuda
    Cores
    GTX 680M 1344
    GTX 780M 1536
    GTX 780 2304
    Titan 2688
    GTX 780 Ti 2880
    GTX 690 3072

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. Alkaline

Alkaline Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 780MSLI should be faster than 1 GTX titan correct simply based on the specs, however, looking at my 3dMARK (fire strike) score, I'm doing about 1,000 less score, so can anyone chime in?

CPU is a i-4900QM all 4 cores running at 3.6 GHZ

3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    There's already quite a long thread covering 780M versus Titan topic. Not sure what page it is on, but you should be able to locate it.

Edit: it was on page 12, but I merged it for you.

Be sure to go back at least a couple of months (last post was November) because there are a lot of great threads with good information in them.

If you are using a stock vBIOS, the first step to take in achieve great performance from your 780M SLI is to grab one of the modded vBIOS from svl7. Stock vBIOS with NVIDIA "GPU Boost" does the opposite of what the name implies and cripples performance.

4. Alkaline

Reputations:
    does this require soldering? If so I will probably stay away... I smoke plenty of Ps2 trying to mod them with a modchip until finally getting it right.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nope, just firmware flashing. I've been using svl7 vBIOS mods for 580M, 680M and 780M. All of them run MUCH better with a modded vBIOS.

6. Alkaline

Reputations:
    can you post a link to download the vbios for 780m, I tried to get it form there forums but even after registering the site is not letting me download, it wasn't bad enough that they had an insane registration process.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Out of respect for the talent and generous contributions that are offered freely at no cost to everyone, we do not allow posting of links to download svl7's vBIOS mods in this forum. They have requirements in place for good reasons and all they require in return is engagement and meaningful participation in discussions. If you want immediate access and the ability to bypass those requirement you are offered the opportunity to do so for a meager $5 contribution. It would be inappropriate and disrespectful to provide such a link.

Rafix likes this.
  8. twin snakes

twin snakes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wow, such a long thread, going through for a night!
    Please gimme an advise, currently i'm on a m18x r1 with a setup of 2960xm and crossfire 7970m, but i had enough with AMD's driver so i'm gonna jump nvidia boat
    the problem is i cant choose between 680m sli setup vs 780m sli one
    680m SLI, i can get one set for around 800$ and pretty easy to find, but 780m SLI is different story, its hard to find and the price is around 1300$
    So the question is which one to get? note that i'm using this machine for pure gaming, not fancy 3dmark score, and i'm not interesting in OC, overvolt, mod... at all
    Thanks for reading!

9. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    It's a shame you're not interested in any kind of OC. I'm not going to try change your mind and convince you otherwise but if that's how you feel go with the most powerful card you can get -which right now is the 780m/880m. It's hardly worth jumping ship from 7970m CF to 680m SLI if you're not OCing IMO ( I previously had 7970m CF). Performance is the same at stock. I wouldn't value nVidia drivers to be worth $800, even considering 680m SLI has better frame pacing.
    And if you own a 680m SLI it's hardly worth upgrading to 780m SLI if you are already overclocking just using 1 x 330 PSU.
    The easy hassle free answer is get a 680m SLI and OC the snot out of it.
    I hope that helps :D

twin snakes likes this.
  10. Alkaline

Reputations:
    Hrm.... been reading up sounds like some people are bricking there aw 18 after vbios mods.... I think I'll just stick to the sidelines on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.