gtx 780m SLI in alienware 18 parallel to gtx Titan pc ?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Kamzan, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdulnoan

mdulnoan Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the responses.

I bought a power meter (Maplin N47KB) to measure the wattage at the socket

Maximum watts from the socket i've seen is around 200 watts. during BF4 with GPU load around 70-80% and CPU load 80-90%.

Overclocked to GTX 780m sli with MSI Burner to:
    Core clock = 941 mhz
    Memory clock = 2880 mhz

So it really seems that 330 watts PSU is more than enough!

EDIT: I think the Power meter is broken and will test again with another brand

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    For gaming, yes. In most cases 330W is enough. But, it is not accurate to conclude that 330W is more than enough. Depending on your hardware configuration and use, it can prove to be woefully inadequate.

Understand that you are gaming and not actually taxing your system to its fullest capacity. Your system far exceeds the minimum hardware requirements of most games. Not sure what CPU you have, but that will also make a gigantic difference since an XM CPU can draw more than 250W and a non-XM will seldom even peak out at 100W. Check the reading with your CPU heavily overclocked and the same GPU overclock, or even a higher GPU overclock, running 3DMark11. If the laptop even stays running you will see a whole lot more than 200W being goggled up.

Have a look at these two videos from my testing with 680M SLI (before my upgrade to 780M SLI). As you can see, 330W is not enough even for 680M SLI, which requires significantly less power than 780M SLI.

<iframe width='640' height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0ovcdk_oWhE?rel=0" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

3DMark11 Tests 1 through 4 - 4.7GHz CPU - 1125/1185 GPU
    Alienware M18xR2 - 3920XM - GTX 680M SLI (18K GPU Score)

<iframe width='640' height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cF74tEm7C7A?rel=0" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Edit: I see you have a Clevo with 4800MQ and 780M SLI. I would still be surprised if you did not completely exhaust the capacity of your 330W AC adapter under heavy load and end up shutting down or tripping the AC adapter breaker. That may not happen with gaming, but if you really push your system it will most likely not be enough power. Try 1100 on Core overclock with 1.1V and see if it stays running with 3DMark11. If you don't do a lot of heavy overclocking and benching, you can probably get by just fine with a single 330W AC adapter and the 4800MQ CPU.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
    pathfindercod likes this.
  3. mdulnoan

mdulnoan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Mr.Fox,
    I think you are right. I'm returning the power meter tomorrow, I'm pretty sure it's broken. I have to be hitting over 200 watts

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Kirenaj

Kirenaj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Did you just use the MSI Burner to overclock, or did you have to flash the graphicscards first?

I'm asking since I'm reading about the vbios of slv7, and yet I don't understand if it's necessary or not.

5. Hybrys

Hybrys That Damn Cactuar!

Reputations:
    You can overclock a small amount with the stock vbios; no overclocking program will let you past a certain programmed limit. The custom vbios unlocks that value, and allows you higher, and even dangerous overclocking levels

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    But, even if you never overclock, the GTX 680M and 780M will both perform much better at stock clock speeds with one of svl7's awesome vBIOS mods. It eliminates the erratic behavior caused by GPU Boost technology.

7. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm , so i noticed this guy above here managed to OC his 780m to Core clock = 941 mhz
    Memory clock = 2880 mhz. ( and im sure others OC it even higher).
    my gtx 780 factory OC i have on my computer ( PC ) , has 954 mhz core clock and and 1502mhz memory clock...
    you wanna tell me that each 780m card can be set to same clock speeds as a gtx 780 ( regular PC version ) ?!?! meaning u almost have a gtx 780 sli in a laptop ?!?!
    Or am i missing some other form of factors that contribute to better performance with a desktop 780 ?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Those are just child's play. We can go way higher than that... have a look

I'm going to go for 1.2GHz on core pretty soon. I think I can do it without too much trouble, but it will definitely require my dual AC adapter to have enough power for that.

9. kh90123

kh90123 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To prevent misconception, there GTX 780M is not the same as GTX 780. GTX 780M is based on GK 104 core, and has 3.5 billion transistors. GTX 780 is based on GK 110, and has 7.1 billion transistors.

780M SLI oc'ed will be slightly faster than a stock 780. Then 780 will quickly gain its ground back when oc'ed, though.

I hit 1.35 GHz on my previous GTX 670, which is GK 104 based. Assuming there's enough power and adequate cooling, 1.2GHz could be achieved.

10. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So there is more to performance than just overclocking...
    Also, as far as i understood, 1.2k mhz can stay stable for OC, but during gameplay there is a chance the cards wont hold for more than 5 minutes...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.