gtx 780m SLI in alienware 18 parallel to gtx Titan pc ?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Kamzan, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sounds amazing/ weird at the same time... but I read on game debate forum that they compared the specs and driver potential
    of the 780m SLI to a single GTX titan PC GPU ( as in both are on parallel performance). does this make sense to you ?
    If so, that is one amazing ability laptops managed to achieve...

2. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Yes its true, Alienware 18 owners with 780M SLI have basically a GTX Titan in their notebooks. :thumbsup:

Overkill for a notebook with only 1080p if you ask me. Pretty sure we will see higher res screen next time when the next architecture is here. If Dell is serious that is

3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For what you see in terms of game performance, they are very similar. It is quite amazing.

4. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    Yes. The next generation updates will no doubt have increased resolution as 1080p is, in ways, low resolution. If we think back 15 years, 1024x768 was very standard resolution for PC gaming and yet it was much higher than the average TV. 1080p is getting very common on HDTV and now phones are using that resolution as well! So, in ways, the 780m SLI is complete overkill on today's games! However, I think that they will be well served a few years down the road for the PS4/Xbox One ports that will need the extra juice to pump out 1080p. I think the horsepower will be needed. Either way, it's amazing at the power of these notebook cards in this form factor.

5. Radi324

Radi324 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A few years ago, the resolution was actually higher than 1080p. Then they downgraded to HD (768p)... then back up to 1080p. What I can't understand is how crappletops (Macbooks) and other fancy ultrabooks have a much higher resolution than our beloved Alienwares... I was really hoping that this year would be the year Dell stepped up their game.

I own a Sony Xperia Z, and the display quality is nothing short of awesome. Pictures look that much crisper on my phone than on my AW - PPI is a bit under-rated sometimes imo. There are people who slag off retina displays and say PPI is nothing, but in the end... it does make a difference

6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Having owned both a iMac 27 and my current Alienware I have really noticed the paradox. The Mac's have super high res screens without enough GPU oomph to make use of it. Alienware's have the Oomph and well, the 1080p.
    Anyway, overall I know which I prefer :D

7. Radi324

Reputations:
    Of course TBoneSan - there's no question of which all of us prefer, otherwise we wouldn't be here :p However, if there's room for improvement, why not ask for it! I'm sure Dell will hear us some day :)

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hook it into a korean 1440p monitor and overclock it to 120hz seems to be the obvious answer to me.

9. Radi324

Reputations:
    Eh, why should I use an external monitor when I paid huge money for such a system? I paid money to have the best. Can't understand how anyone can justify Dell for not giving us top-end components in our systems when other sellers have already done so for much less-powerful systems... Dell is just exploiting its monopoly in dual-GPU gaming laptops; Clevo, with their bland and absolutely boring-looking laptops, can't exactly be called real competition.

10. Glzmo

Glzmo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not if you like to play at full eyecandy including high levels of SGSAA and/or other high quality Anti-Aliasing techniques at that resolution as they can still be quite taxing, even on two Titans in SLI. :)

Personally, I find the 1920x1080 resolution on the M18x-R2 screen ideal. Any higher resolution would make things too small, at least for my eyes (For example, 1920x1200 on my old M17x-R2 certainly was too high a resolution for my eyes).

That's personal preference, of course, and younger people may not have such a hard time with higher resolutions on smaller screens. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.