GTX 780M in M17x R2?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Heatshiver, May 29, 2013.

1. Heatshiver

Heatshiver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just read about the GTX 780M and cannot find any information as far as the compatibility with the M17x R2. I know that they're the same architecture, but shouldn't it be more complicated than that, or no?

The only thing I noticed is that UpgradeYourLaptop on eBay is selling the GTX 780M and it states it can be used for the M17x R2. However, I am wary as one auction incorrectly has the GTX 680M listed in the specs, and for both, the drivers lead to 680M. I checked the inf file in the drivers and there is no indication of GTX 780M at the bottom...

Any thoughts on this?

2. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It should work . . . but you'll have to figure out a way to cool the memory chips on the back of the card. SLI will be more tricky though - look for the thread where some users on hear got GTX 580m SLI working in an R2.

3. Heatshiver

Heatshiver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wouldn't you have to cool the memory chips on the back of a GTX 680M too then? Or is that different somehow (thinking they seem similar)?

I had talked to The Wiz before about GTX 680M SLI before but he moreorless stated that it wasn't going to happen. I'm guessing that means GTX 780M SLI is out...

I talked to UpgradeYourLaptop and I guess the links have been updated now for the new drivers, so I guess it will work, but not willing to try at $800!

4. pinoy_92

pinoy_92 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    someone in tech inferno got a 780m working on a r3. once i get enough money ill e sure to try the 780m out.

5. TropicTundra

TropicTundra Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried this yet? I'm interested as well in seeing how this goes... o_O

6. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Eager to try this out too. I suppose the fan on my old 5870 setup and the 240W PSU are sufficient right? Just one card is enough since Xfire/SLI seem to be quite troublesome. Also there's a recommendation on the eBay page regarding HWINFO, does it mean I have to keep an eye on that fan speed everytime the machine's up and running? Can it be automated?. It's my very first upgrade and skipping 680M altogether for the 780M. Need to do careful research before shelling out $900. Thanks all :)

7. Greywolf22

Greywolf22 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It might be worth contacting upgradeyourlaptop and see what sort of things they've found in their testing (and whether they verify that it will indeed work and will refund you if it doesn't). I know some folks have had trouble with them as far as support goes...I've had great luck with their cards (6970's), but didn't need to contact them for support.

It would be intersting to see what they say, regarding HWINFO I wonder if that means that you have to use it to manually control the fans...that would be my guess, but can't say for sure.

Good luck, will be interested to see how it goes.

8. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't think anyone has tried it yet. Haven't seen anything but questions about it.

9. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If a 680M works is it safe to assume the 780M also works in the R2? What might be the biggest issues? Heat, cooling and power consumption?

10. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Biggest thing will be cooling (memory chips on the back) and SLI. I agree that there's no reason why it wouldn't work though.