1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

GTX 775m

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cakefish, Aug 7, 2013.

1. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I doubt it'd be such higher in the clock department; and if it is, it must have the same low voltage memory of the 680M that prevented OCing to 2500/3000 speeds (At least I *think* that is why)... otherwise if the cards can OC to similar levels, and the 775M draws less power but is more refined, that'll be the card everyone wants; it'd be a lot cheaper while giving what, 5-10% less performance when fully OC'd versus an OC'd 780M? If the price diff is $200 or more, I see a fail in their thought process.

2. Captmario

Captmario Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We might see some 780mx or 790m if AMD's 9970m happens to be better then 780m? :p

3. Cakefish

Cakefish I Shot The Sheriff

Reputations:
    Seeing as I've just bought a 780M, I would be annoyed! :p

I highly doubt it anyway. 780M is already at the limit of what even the big laptop's cooling systems and power supplies can handle. 120W TDP. I can't see them squeezing out any higher clocks or any more cores without jumping to Maxwell architecture.

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    It's likely a 680m refresh, considering the 256-bit bus and 1344 shaders.

And yeah 780m is a beast for sure, 180W bricks are sweating to keep up.

5. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Nah, I don`t think Nvidia have anything to counter with except Maxwell which will be out next year.

6. Undyingghost

Undyingghost Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So if AMD done this right they will have no competition this year, meaning it will kick nvidia butt this time around.

Good thing is we will see some price drops, that's for sure.

7. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I hate to link to this guy (sigh), but thats exactly what Charlie says:
    AMD to launch Hawaii in Hawaii | SemiAccurate

It kinda evens out a little though. Nvidia had the high end market alone for 3-4 months now with Titan and GTX 780. So they have sold a ton of those GPUs while AMD was behind the scenes, working on theirs. And now with the new architecture from AMD, they will be alone on the market with the highest end until Nvidia is out with Maxwell. This will probably push Nvidia in to high gear, desperate trying to push out Maxwell to customers as soon as possible.

Customers win :)

8. Cakefish

Cakefish I Shot The Sheriff

Reputations:
    And my bank balance loses!

9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    If AMD's new GPUs at 28nm have a flagship that can beat out a 780, and they fix their stuttering/crossfire/driver issues, they'll have a complete victory. I don't count the Titan as a flagship, but as a separate card, due to the price and such, so if AMD brought out one that can beat that, but at that huge price, I don't count. Now if they made Titan-class power at 780 (or hell, even 770) prices, then nVidia just flat out loses.

Of course, in the desktop market, AMD cards are often very loud, so that's another thing people dislike about them. In short, their strength isn't everything.... but if their strength surpasses the current models at such a magnitude that the GTX 700 series is no competition, then that's good for us =D.

10. Hackintoshihope

Hackintoshihope AlienMeetsApple

Reputations:
    Hopefully the new alienware's will include the new cards and reduce prices for the same performance.