1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Gtx 660m

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Oats04, Jan 11, 2012.

1. masterwares

masterwares Notebook Evangelist

LOL. I still have a GTX260M laptop hah.

2. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Allthough the 600 series are rebadges, there are possibilities that 700 series will arrive very soon with Kepler. Nvidia may be pushing out Fermi`s with 28nm because they know this architecture inside out and better than Kepler and therefor have the possibility to push out cooler 570M/580Ms. God knows have many core models they have released with Fermi and made each better than the last one. And at the same time they push out 28nm Fermi, they also start releasing Keplers.

So who knows, Nvidia may come out with Kepler at the same time as AMD comes out with GCN mobile GPUs. It is not just the mobile Kepler we have heard nothing about, but AMD have also been dead silent about their next mobile GPUs.

3. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

The problem here is the assumption that NVIDIA will shrink Fermi to 28nm. What suggests NVIDIA won't continue to use 40nm Fermi for re-badging?

4. Cloudfire

Lower TDP? I am guessing of course. 670m could still be 40 nm like you say

Is it possible to manufacture both 40nm and 28nm with the same equipment btw? I thought that once the they started producing smaller die, there is no turning back.

5. ntrain96

ntrain96 Notebook Evangelist

This is probably realistically what is going to happen which means, its not worth waiting for. Wait another year before worrying about upgrading. THe new Nvidia and Ati Lineup is going to be a modest/marginal increase in performance with a premium pricetag attached. For those waiting for "Ivy Bridge" and the new GPU's, your basically wasting your time. Grab a good deal on whats available now and worry about the next best, latest greatest hardware in another year's time when the improvements MIGHT be worth it.

6. Cloudfire

Kepler and GCN will blow everything from the previous gen out of the water. Not marginally better. Not 10-20%. Better performance increase than that

7. ntrain96

Ive heard this song and dance soooooooooooo many times............theoretical performance potential and real world performance are always 2 different animals.......:rolleyes: Sorry, there is hype and marketing, and then there is what you really get. Kepler and GCN whenever they do get released will show improvements, but it will be marginal or modest on first gen. release and drivers.

8. Devenox

Devenox Notebook Evangelist

yeah, but this time it will really be a bigger jump since it goes from 40nm down to 28nm.

5000M/6000M
    GTX400M/500M
    were all 40nm parts, so last two years were rather boring, I know what you mean. If we now don't get atleast a 30% gain with 28nm, than it will never be the case in the upcoming years/decade.
    Also desktop 7770 (70W) has the performance of a desktop 6850 (120W).
    I wouldn't call that a 'small' boost in performance/watt

9. Cloudfire

Theoretical?
    I can show you real numbers of VLIW (6970) vs GCN (7970). GCN is on average 46% faster than VLIW. And that was from the very first review of 7970. New product with new drivers vs old product with improved drivers. 7970 will only get better with new drivers

[​IMG]

10. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

man, you mean real Kepler and GCN, we will just see the entry product to that, and I don't think the transition from 500-600 will be better than 200-400 (definitely not like 285m to 485m, that was revolutionary), these newer chips are more power efficient, not more powerful (that's what the producers are saying right?)

11. ntrain96

Big problem here is that this is a desktop comparison where cards are top of the line products,power hungry, are HUGE, with HUGE cooling systems. It just doesn't translate into the LAPTOP market where midrange desktop cards are power optimized and shrunk down into a small laptop form factor with limited power and cooling ability, especially with laptops getting thinner, smaller and lighter.

Id love to see improvements like of that which you have shown for the laptop sector, but it ain't happening. If it does, I'll be the first to eat my words, but its not going to happen this spring/summer. ;)

12. Cloudfire

I see what you mean but why shouldn`t we see similar performance differences with a mobile version of VLIW vs a mobile version of GCN?
    The transistors and everything are all shrunk down to 28nm, giving AMD a bigger thermal envelope to increase performance while staying at the same TDP and power consumption as previous generation. That is exactly what AMD have done with 7970. 7970 use 10W more than 6970 under load, when idling it use 20W less than 6970, 7970 is 10 degree celsius cooler than 6970 under full load. The TDP of 6970 is 250W. The TDP of 7970 is 210W

To summarize: GCN is cooler than VLIW, it is 46% faster than VLIW, it use marginally more power. Why shouldn`t this difference be transferable to notebooks?

But yeah, we have to wait and see. I got $3000 waiting right here for my next purchase :)

13. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

How do you GCN is cooler than VLIW4? You're making an apples to oranges comparison.. All you can say that GCN at 28nm is faster and cooler than VLIW4 at 40nm, not that GCN as an architecture is faster or cooler than VLIW4.

Presumably AMD will release VLIW4 mobile GPUs to crossfire with Trinity but we have no idea what node it will be on. So it's a little soon to make comparisons.

edit: just read the last page and saw that that was not your point. Yeah, GCN/VLIW4 at 28nm will almost certainly be a big jump in term of performance. Even if the 7xxxm GPUs have similar performance to the 6xxxm GPUs, they will have significantly more overclocking headroom which in itself will be a big boost.

14. maxheap

I am smelling alienware there ;) I am also hiding some for 680m :)

15. Cloudfire

Yes agreed. My bad. I shouldn`t have said GCN vs VLIW, but 28nm GCN vs 40nm VLIW like you say. But still valid comparison anyway since that is what we are going to see from AMD with the 7700M/7800M/7900M series. Well, if they don`t follow Nvidia with the rebadging :rolleyes:

Not impossible :)
    I was gonna buy the M17x R3 with Sandy 1 year ago but said screw it and waited for next gen GPUs with Ivy instead. My poor keyboard on this laptop is singing its last song lol.
    I assume you are going for R4? You are satisfied with your 580M since you are thinking about buying 680M? :)

16. TheBluePill

TheBluePill Notebook Nobel Laureate

I am in the same boat as Cloudfire. I have my money burning a hole in my pocket and its one of those wait and see things. After seeing some of the 3D screens recently, i think i am most inclined to go with an M17X-3D.. Now, im just trying to feel it out if i can wait for the R4.. or if its worth.. I hate being so blind without enough info about the next generation product.. even some real, firm release dates would help me greatly.

17. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Firm release dates are coming during CeBIT, which starts on the 6th.

18. maxheap

oh no, I am crazily happy with 580m, marvelous thing, but greed is a dangerous thing my friend :D

19. ntrain96

You would think that the performance increase will carry over 100% to the mobile laptop field, but it never seems to. Honestly if the new high end cards that are replacing the 6990m's and 580m's etc in the laptops do gain a solid 50% averaged out across most apps, that would be great. But with the trend of notebooks getting smaller/thinner with battery life and power consumption being a key factor I have heavy doubts. I look at it this way, if the new top of the line Mobile GPU's give 50% performance increase on average while staying in the same power envelope or consuming even less power I would be very impressed. I think though real world performance though is going to be in the 10-30% range. If thats the case, not really worth the wait, or worth upgrading for unless your laptop features an MXM slot where you can just swap out the video card(And sell off the old one).

20. TheBluePill

TheBluePill Notebook Nobel Laureate

With all of the Buzz that all Ivy Bridge Processors are officially pushed back to June at the earliest.. kinda makes all of this talk a bit more depressing. All of the refresh machines that we have been seeing with new GPUs were counting on the Ivy Bridge platform too.. So where does that leave the new GPU launches?