GTX 1080 Ti in Laptops?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Zero311, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Zero311

Zero311 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First post here.

So my question is thus:

When nvidia finally releases the 1080 Ti, what are the chances of a laptop version of the card showing up in a near future refresh?

I understand that the 1080 Ti isn't even a thing yet, but it's reasonable to assume that they will release one sometime in Q2 based on past history. Even after nvidia started putting desktop grade 980s in laptops, I don't believe they ever put a 980 Ti in one.

I'm debating whether I should push off my laptop purchase for another 2-3 months to wait for a desktop grade 1080 Ti to be an option, or am I dreaming?

Thanks.

Dr. AMK and MiSJAH like this.
  2. ryzeki

ryzeki Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If they ever do include a laptop with the 1080ti, expect only a total of maybe 2 models in the world that will support, it and will cost an arm and a leg.

In my opinion, it's a dream and you should buy and enjoy if you can. The more time it takes to buy, the closer you are to a new cycle of "new products" and you will be stuck with "maybe I should wait for next gen X device". You chould be playing right now :p

openglcg, Dr. AMK, Aroc and 2 others like this.
  3. Midas Touch

Midas Touch BGA Loving Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They did put a 1050Ti in a laptop, so its possible to have a 1080Ti.

4. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Are you even considering the TDP difference ? The heat generated? The power required??

5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    *tilts head to the side* *grinding noise*

Cannot.... compute...

Sent from my OnePlus 1 using a coconut

openglcg, SkidrowSKT, Peon and 9 others like this.
  6. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    They probably built a good cooling system like what they did from previous generations e.g from 980 - 980 SLI - 1080 - 1080 SLI, as for power we already have a 780W AC power brick.

@D2 Ultima LOL I said possibly.

7. Zero311

Reputations:
    This is part of my concern as well, and is also the reason we have never seen a Titan-variant put into a laptop. Too much power draw, too much heat. Doesn't mean it isn't possible, but that's why i'm throwing this question out there. Thanks.

On some level, I know you're right and I should just go with what we've got right now. Waiting for the next tech is an endless loop. I just know it would bug me to death to know I bought something 2-3 months before the final Pascal card arrived. OCD much? Lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  8. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    How about AMD RYZEN + VEGA, now this is a question.

9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Your logic is the non-computable part. "1050Ti exists, therefore 1080Ti can exist too!"

SkidrowSKT, Peon, TBoneSan and 2 others like this.
  10. Zero311

Reputations:
    Good thought, I'm not opposed to the idea at all. My concern here is that It's looking like Vega is going to be a May/June release (rumors), and may not be any more powerful than the 1080 is right now. We don't have enough info to go on, but with the 1080 Ti we can make a good assumption (based on 980Ti compared to the Tian X Maxwell) that it will perform almost the same as the Titan X Pascal. Since we already have performance benchmarks on that, it makes planning easier.

Would Sager/Clevo even refresh their units to use AMD hardware?

Dr. AMK and Midas Touch like this.