Gtx 1080 high temps over 80c

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by matei florin, Jan 21, 2020.

1. matei florin

matei florin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello guys I have recently upgraded my laptop from gtx 1070 to 1080, but now the 1080 is running hot up to 85-90c, is it because I am not using the correct thermal pads or what is my issue, I have used the same heatsink from the gtx 1070, any ideea of what thicknes the thermal pads have and where I can find a diagram for the GPU? I have pressed down on the thermal pads to make them thinner and it helped a bit they are almost 1mm or less I think, but the GPU still goes up to 85c is that normal temps for this GPU/laptop, thank you

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is probably your issue, as the 1080 has a much higher TDP than the 1070, 190W vs. 115W/125W. You want to use the dual vapor chamber heatsink for the 1080.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Liquid metal can help a lot too so long as you are careful.

4. matei florin

Reputations:
    Thank you, I have seen now that there are different heatsinks for this laptop to fit single cards or dual card, with or without vapour chambers, I just bought a single GPU heatsink for the 1080 with 6 heat pipes that split to both fans, hope it will help

5. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am running a GTX1080 in my P750TM1-G locked at 1,911Mhz with 11,384Mhz GDDR5X memory it runs 77C tops after hours and hours of non stop gaming.

You must undervolt the card, and run Kryonaut, or Liquid metal.

I run liquid metal, with K5 Pro thermal pad replacement. And I do have the GTX1080 model heatsink as well.

Replacing the thermal pads will help some. But GPU die contact is paramount.

6. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need K5 Pro! it is like a liquid thermal pad.

7. matei florin

Reputations:
    Can it be undervolted without an unlocked vbios? ( Which I don't have)
    Also where the hell I can get an unlocked bios for my p870tm1-g

8. matei florin

Reputations:
    I also have liquid metal but I did not have to much faith in it so I will use mx5 plus copper shim and thermal pads

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You adjust the clock curve that all models let you :) it's a bit different to sliders so worth reading up on how clock adjustments have changed.

10. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need to ditch the copper shim. Your thermal pads are probably to thick too. these MXM video cards require 0.5MM in certain areas. There is no diagram on how to properly install them either. That’s why I like K5 Pro liquid thermal pad. It just flattens down when you install the heatsink, so there is no guessing the pad thickness.

open up MSI after burner voltage graph. Click the box that is above 0.925MV and slide it up to 1,860Mhz then close out of the graph and click apply or the check box in MSI AB.

Your GPU temps will drop drastically. You can fine tune or lower voltage more later on.