GTX 1080/1070 (laptop) mxm?

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by XGIII, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Yes 1060 works, But you will need a cable hardmod hack to make it work with the EC trick and also Prema vBIOS which is a slim chance since he stated, he won't make any vBIOSes for the MSI Pascals...

Also 1060 is not worth over 980M, expensive, just 15% boost, Who knows whether the Fan control works or not on even Auto ? if it doesn't it's no brainer to not to opt for the Pascal cards, I'd say give some time if we see somehing happening we muight be lucky enough like this one here - 485-495x upgraded 95W purported revision of MXM AMD, check out the discussion there too since it's a proper MXM3.0b standard it's fairly easy to make it work.

And more coverage from the MXM thread to highlight.

And badnews for those who are thinking going GTX980 M5500 MSI card.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. andrewsi2012

andrewsi2012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's a strange one for you.
    I called Dell AU today as I have a customer order (rather large) and wanted to negotiate on price, my customer wanted the follow specs.
    i7 6700HQ
    GTX 1070 GPU,
    1920 x 1080 FHD screen
    99 Wh battery
    Win 10 Pro.
    According to the sales rep I spoke with (and he confirmed it with his super) the GTX1070 is not compatible with the 1080p FHD screen.
    I find that a little hard to believe and feel like Dell is pushing people to the more expensive QHD.
    I can only go from previous models I've worked on but the cables for a FHD and QHD have had the same mobo connection in the past, so makes me wonder why it wont work.
    Sounds strange to me.

3. Solo wing

Solo wing Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe it has something to do with LVDS not being compatible with Pascal.

4. andrewsi2012

Reputations:
    Sorry I should have been a bit more specific. When I say "Previous models" I'm referring to the last two issues (with the BGA rubbish) those only had eDP screen connections, nothing else. So that's why I don't get it...

5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I guess It's more of a configuration issue, They are plain dumb no technical knowledge. Seems like 6820HK is removed from configurator as well, 1080 is late Nov along with the QHD AUO 120Hz Wide Angle TN panel, Also I suggest you to look at the GT73VR or the Eurocom Tornado F5 instead of the new echo throttling pos if you want a good build quality rather than having a notch lower quality by going with Clevo, but yeah they have the best HW atm.

All the Pascal laptops have the eDP only, the Alienware Voyager/Ranger have eDP/LVDS combos. I don't know about the BGA trash maybe they don't have LVDS on them, Doesn't even matter they are just going to dumpster anyways.

Aroc likes this.
  6. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's a shame it's not compatible since my alienware 15R3 has a 1080p screen and the 1070 works flawlessly in it.

the issue is simple : logistic, they created specific barebones with specific screens for different price range. so you'll have the 'entry' i5/1060 and the 'cash cow' QHD/1070. That way if a customer wants just a QHD or just a 1070 he has to pay for the whole package ^^. Sadly it's a common practice.

7. andrewsi2012

Reputations:
    That's good to know, and I suspected as much.
    The rep did not say I could not do it, he just said he was not sure if I would have issues with it.
    I might push a bit harder and see what Dell does, considering I'm going to purchase between 35+ of these in one hit I should be able to get what I'm after.
    Your confirmation of 1080p working in the new AW15R3 is a help

8. XGIII

XGIII Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    http://www.eurocom.com/ec/release(350)ec

" Eurocom offers upgradeable MXM based VR Ready NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10 series 1080, 1070, 1060 Pascal graphics cards "

Maybe we'll find something for our Alienware17. But from where will be the aux power?

9. AntDX316

AntDX316 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to chime in.. the new Alien 17 (R4) has no IGZO screen and 300nit instead of 400nit on the 4k of the R3.

I got the 980M just to play games when needed but most of the time I don't game on it. I did play CSGO ranked in bed w/ friends and had the highest score many times because the touchpad is so good at 1080p.

I got the Alien 17 R3 for other reasons than gaming and probably the 4k IGZO is the best you can get forever.

They probably used it as a selling point to get a lot of customers and took a loss for it. Even on Best Buy they sell for like $1100 openbox with the 4k. Nothing wrong with it, 970 GTX. I even showed people at the store about how good it is and how it's better than everything else in the store even at $2k but people don't really care.