GTX 1080/1070 EVGA Cards Reportedly Catching Fire Due To VRMs Overheating

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by hmscott, Oct 29, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    there are really gaps between vram chips and the thermal pads on the mid cooling plate - old pre-vram pad shipments, but interesting - hmscott
    http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2580613

"Bad news: I opened up my GTX 1070 FTW DT to check for these gaps and yes there were gaps on virtually all VRAM pads. Only 2 pads were touching the VRAM chips and only by a little bit of the corner. You can tell how it looks like if there was actual contact by looking at the thin thermal pad on one of the pictures.

Good news: I didn't wait for thermal pads from EVGA for the VRMs or VRAM etc and got my own (Fujipoly / mod/smart Ultra Extreme XR-m Thermal Pad 17 w/mk 100 x 15 x 1.5mm) and cut them up to 15x12mm portions. After putting them on my VRAM (the dots on them are from where I pushed them to make them stick to the vram) and placing the original 1mm VRAM pads onto the VRMs (there are enough to cover the VRMs) I put everything back together. I used Noctua thermal paste on the GPU. MY TEMPERATURES DROPPED 10-12C. I used to idle at 43-45C and playing Battlefield 1 would get me to about 63-65C (using Precision X). Now my idle temperature is 30C and Battlefield 1 temperature is 45-54C. I doubt the Noctua thermal paste explains the huge difference because the original paste looked like it was good paste with good spread. I think the VRAM thermal pad gaps were causing heat from the VRAM chips to soak into the GPU.

I'm still missing the thermal pad for the backplate but I feel so much more at ease knowing that the VRAM is being cooled now and the GPU is operating closer to the temperature range it should be at.

Other news: Got the powerlink in the mail today! Woot! Thanks EVGA! Just hurry it up with the thermal pads, etc please so I can get back to overclocking my card!"

Talon, DukeCLR, TomJGX and 2 others like this.
  2. smoking2k

smoking2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interesting keep it up hmscott I like reading these updates...especially when you make it so convenient and do all the digging around for me!!

EDIT

How much of a difference do you think upgrading the thermal pads to the fujipoly 17w/mk make when the stock ones are touching?

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This guys results speak to success, so give it a shot.

I'd use the current generosity of EVGA to swap for a new GPU, get'em now while EVGA is still working hard to make up to owners for their mess up :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    DukeCLR and TomJGX like this.
  4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Agreed, its not worth the hassle to fix it yourself.. Get a new one from EVGA while you can!

hmscott and DukeCLR like this.
  5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    it's funny how alot of those EVGA guys were questioning my STRIX 1080's temps because they were so much lower than all of their's lol.

i still don't see what the hype about EVGA is all about. they sure know how to produce alot of fanboys though.

TomJGX, i_pk_pjers_i, Talon and 2 others like this.
  6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think it's their excellent customer support and that goes a long way even if the product is just average. After having a perfectly good PSU (my mistake) replaced by them in minutes after a quick online chat I was impressed. Their RMA and support department is top notch and was the reason I wish I had their card in my system.

I wanted to go EVGA this time around but their supply of 1080 aftermarket cards was insanely bad and I grabbed the first card I could get.

Honestly this MSI 1080 is gret though and have had zero issues. It overclocks decently on air and stays cool and quiet. Zero coil whine and the clocks are stable and don't bounce around like some 10 series cards. Still if I ever need an RMA I know from previous experience with MSI the support will be lacking.

7. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The STRIX is just a great all around card. I've been recommending it lately.

8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Agreed, its a total beast.. Only 1080 I've seen hit high clocks and stay cool without water cooling etc due to 3 fans!!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

i_pk_pjers_i and hmscott like this.
  9. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    How high/cool have you managed, if I might ask?

10. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Really depends on the game.. Now firstly, you have to remember I have a 1440p 144Hz monitor... I play literally on.every detail maxed out too.. That's a lot of load on the GPU.. So something like World of Warships maxes out at 65-70C on the 1080.. Something like Titanfall 2 or BF1 maxes out at 70-78C abouts.. I'm sure the 1080 would run even cooler in an ATX system, you have to remember I'm using a mini-ITX one lol....

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk